Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 75gal in Ogden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 75gal in Ogden
    Posted: April 03 2011 at 3:10pm
Hello everyone,
I recently bought 75 gallon tank off of KSL.   This is my first attempt with a salt water aquarium.  I had a 5 gallon freshwater setup for several years during college. 

Currently, I am still researching equipment to finish off the aquarium; lights (LED), heater, and a controller (possibly).  I should have my live rock in the tank sometime this week and begin cycling.  Mike, at Aquarium Masters, has been very helpful getting me starting and answering my questions.  I've also been reading up a lot on here as well.  Unfortunately, I won't be in town for the Reef Tour this year.  I look forward to learning a lot more in the coming months and years. 

My setup so far includes:
75 gallon All-Glass with one overflow chamber
~20 gallon sump
Euro-reef skimmer
Closed loop circulation system, 480gph (corrected)
80lbs of live rock
Aragonite substrate

Jason

Edited by Rara - April 03 2011 at 8:24pm
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 4:13pm
Welcome.
What LED lights? Aqua Illuminations, DIY, Maxspect?

Edited by Josh95 - April 03 2011 at 4:15pm
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:48pm
Jason, it looks like things are coming together for you, and welcome to WMAS! Looking at the list of things you have you'll want to up the flow of your closed loop by a lot. Reefs require much more water flow than a fish only or freshwater tank. Many reefs have upwards of 25 times water turnover. Just keep on researching everything, and feel free to post any questions you have, we're here to help! 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 6:22pm
I've looked at a few LED systems and am leaning toward Aqua Illuminations.  

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 6:39pm
Sorry.. I had my pumps backwards.  The closed loop is running a Poseidon PS4 which is rated at 480 gph.  
Which means the PS3 (240 gph) is on the sump return.  I had to throttle back to this pump about 40-50% to keep the overflow from "flushing".  I do have a homemade durso pipe in the overflow.  Any ideas how to increase sump return and still maintain relatively quiet operation?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 7:00pm
That's much better LOL. What size piping are you using for the durso? It usually helps stop flushing by reducing the piping as it goes through the bulkhead. So if you have a 1" bulkhead use 1.5" piping for the durso and then reduce it to fit the bulkhead at the bottom. This creates a stronger suction and helps prevent the "toilet effect" Big smile

P.S. those poseidons are nice pumps!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 7:03pm
1900 gph is roughly a good estimation on flow for a 75. PM Boysty about his flow on his 90, it's insane.
Why Aqua Illuminations? it would be $1200 for your lighting that way, DIY LEDs is quite abit cheaper.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 9:10pm
CapnMorgan,  the durso pipe reduces from 1-1/4" to 1" through the bulkhead. 

Josh95,   I have not researched much into the DIY LED systems.  I know I  have the ability to wire up a system, but that will take more research.  From what I've read, the AI system is very high quality, modular, has excellent customer service, and is made in the US.  
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:31pm
Welcome to the club!  You will find lots of useful information.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:56pm
welcome,
i have to say i love A.I. LEDS too. as far as a controller i would recommend the digital aquatics reefkeeper lite. i just got one i love it!!!! i am very very familliar with neptune systems and say the reefkeeper is much easier and much cheaper starts at 120$.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 11:37pm
Thanks for all the welcomes..  

dc,  Thanks for your input.  I have been reading up on both the Reefkeeper Lite and the Apex.  Being new to large aquariums, I am amazed by how many electrical outlets are needed.  I am expecting to need:
2 for pumps
1 for the skimmer
2-3 for lights
1 for a heater

I see the downside of the Reefkeeper is that I'll need two PC4 modules instead on one Energy Bar 8.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 12:34am

no problem, yeah thats about right i have a 72. my out lets are; 1-pump,1-skimmer,1-heater,3-powerheads,3-lights,1-fan and 1-grounding probe.  looks like you got it. just powerheads and a grounding probe. i only control (reefkeeper at this time) heater,lights and fan. i got mine for temp control. works super. the best money i have ever spent!

dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 12:35am
oh yes you would need more PC4s but i belive they are 85$ i think
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 5:17am
DIY systems are definatly a lot cheaper. If you figured out how that AI system hooked up into the circuitry of the LEDs (which i think its just a control inside the system that changes the amperage of the outputs) then you could possibly wire that up into it. I havent seen how they have things set up though so its just a thought. Any idea what that system actually controls? You could probably wire something up on your own. Wiring up the LEDs themselves is actually a very basic system.
Welcome!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Rara Rara wrote:

Any ideas how to increase sump return and still maintain relatively quiet operation?
It's actually very easy. Even though you can't do the Reef Tour, please feel free to visit anytime. My address in in the Reef Tour info. Please call first at the number below
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 3:05pm
Luckily my tank went through a quick cycle.  Mike at Aquarium Masters checked my water on Monday and cleared me to begin slowly adding livestock.  I was noticing some fuzzy algae on my rocks so I took home 10 hermit crabs and 6 snails. 

On Wednesday, I finally got my lights put in.  I went with Aqua Illuminations Sol (white version).  I ordered a AI controller to use until the new Apex Jr is released.   Without the controller the lights are either off or 100%.  At 100% the lights are crazy bright.  I mounted my lights with some wire cable inside of the canopy.  I think I need to tilt both lights toward the center a little bit to get rid of the dark spot in the center of my tank.

Edited by Rara - April 22 2011 at 3:17pm
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 3:19pm
Quick picture from my cell phone.  I knocked a plastic cup into the tank when I was putting the canopy back on. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 6:28pm
looks good!
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:52pm
Looking good, have you added any macro algae. If not and you would like some just let me know.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:14pm
Thanks everyone. 

Jaschall, I would like to get some macro growing soon.  I'll be in touch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic