Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White Particles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Particles
    Posted: April 05 2011 at 2:56pm
I have white particles all over in my tank. I thought that they may be bubbles, they aren't, thought that it may be substrate, it's not. I turned off flow for a while and some of it settled, however there are tons of the little white particles, and they appear to be swimming around. I'm not sure what they are. I hope that it's not Ich? My fish seems to be accumulating a build up of them on him. I've read that a UV might help this kind of thing, but they are pretty expensive, I probably can't swing one until next paycheck. Any advice? It's a 8g Nano. I can post a pic but I don't know that it would have the detail needed.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 3:37pm
Here are some images.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 3:58pm
they look like flying detritus nothing harmless, this feeds feathers duster which i personally around over 100
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 8:55pm
I don't know if I buy that. "detritus is non-living particulate organic material (as opposed to dissolved organic material). It typically includes the bodies or fragments of ..."

This stuff is swimming around on it's own.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 9:41pm
how new is this tank? It sounds like copepods or hydroids. Ich's free swimming form is microscopic so you wouldn't be able to see it. Even when it is on the fish you are not seeing the actual parasite, you are seeing a cyst of irritated tissue caused by the parasite.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 9:53pm
Gotcha, it's a newer tank. Month and a half. Not sure where the Copepods or Hydroids would come from. It just looks bad, it's all over and it's all over my fish. Will it hurt him? What can I do to get rid of this stuff? Even if it's something good it doesn't look good, I don't notice this kind of stuff in nice displays. It's impossible to ignore this stuff. It doesn't look too bad in the pictures but it's pretty bad in person.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 10:19pm
Could you post a pic of just the fish?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 10:21pm
The last one has a pretty good picture of him.  That's right up next to the glass so I can't get any closer. All that I can do is crop that, but the crop would be of what you can see in the pics above.

The fish is the red guy, the white stuff you see is at least mostly on him maybe some floating around.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 10:38pm
Oh ok, I didn't put together that that was a frogfish. They're fun, if he eating frozen yet?

Anyways, It looks like small particulates from your sandbed. I wouldn't worry.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 2:47am
Yeah he is awesome! I love him! He is eating frozen very well. I'm trying to decide what else. I want to take my time and research any livestock that I put in there.

So when I turn off the return and the vortech these things swim around. Whatever it is it's alive. Is that still just from my sand bed? When I think of particulates I assume that I can turn off the flow and it will settle but this doesn't and visually I can see it swimming around. I'm mostly concerned if it's bad like parasites more than I am the water clearness though I would prefer the tank to be clear.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 2:49am
It's tough to tell w/o being able to see it in person. The only things I could think of that would swim or at least appear to would be microbubbles, copepods, or hydroids. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 2:56am
Copepoda that I've seen remind me of these. However these are white and copepods seem to be a yellow-orange color. I will look up hydroids. They aren't microbubbles after sitting an hour with no flow still there. unmistakably swimming around.
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 3:00am
I'm thinking that they are Copepods.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 3:02am
I'd just watch things then and see how it goes. Congrats on the frogfish! One of my favorite animals! I've loved keeping them.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 3:06am
What kind do you have? I have not seen another with this same color I'd love to ID it and learn more about him.

Yeah it worries me with what appears to be the copepods on him. There are a lot. But if it is copepods they should eventually retire to the liverock and sand.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 4:49am
I've seen amphipods crawl all over frogs before, so I wouldn't worry too much. Black frogs are pretty common, but it may not be his true color. Most frogs start out a brighter color and end up dark in captivity. 

Here's a quick pic for ya:

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 10:18am
He's cool looking!

Mine isn't black he's a burgundy. Maybe he's just red but not vibrant right now?
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 12:06pm
Wow those are cool looking. Are they aggresive fish?
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Borinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 12:24pm
Not really. However, they will eat anything that they can fit in their mouth, they can eat a fish about their own size. He doesn't actively pick on anything in my tank however.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 1:53pm
I'd be happy to come take a look. Just call me at the number below.
My thought is like Steve's, that they are probably a type of copepod and definitely not a problem.

FYI, There are lots of animals that come and go in newer tanks that newer hobbyists freak out about which turn out to be no big deal. Also Frogfish like to be camoflaged so they allow things to hitch a ride to help them look like a rock - all so they can eat like a king.

This is a Hydroid. It stays on surfaces, but sometimes little coral polyps which are easily mistaken for Jellies go swimming around too. They don't last long either. Note the copepods also living on the glass in this pic taken of one of my new tanks.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic