Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

berghia nudis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: berghia nudis
    Posted: April 09 2011 at 5:47pm
has anyone ever tried to use berghia nudi for aiptasia? what were the results? short term and long term? how many per gal/# of aiptasia?
thank you in advance.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 7:56pm
Work awesome.   I'd say one nudi per 30 Aiptasia.  Takes a few months for them to catch up but long term results are also great.  

Much, much better than peppermint shrimp.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 8:25pm

They do work great.  I don't recommend a Berghia/Aiptasia ratio.  Since you will usually only be sucessfully if they breed in your tank.  You will need enough berghia so that they find each other in order to reproduce.  So if you have a 10 gallon aquarium you might get away with 2 or 3.  If you have a 120 gallon you may need 8-10.  You could always get a few and then breed them once and then you will have an army ready to take out the Aiptasia.

Unless you have a large outbreak I would recommend Peppermint Shirmp.  Even with a large outbreak if you add enough Peppermint they will often take care of the problem.  If you have a large tank with lot of Aiptasia see if a pet store will cut you a deal on Peppermint.  They can get them cheap if bought in bulk.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 8:31pm
thank you for the imput!! i have peppermints i have seen no change but know they only eat super small ones. my tank is 72 g. with about 15-20 ongoing aiptasia so i fugure closer to 40 aisptasia(ones i cant see). do you think 4-5 nudis would do it with 6 peppermints?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 7:04am
Peppermint Shrimp always work for me. Let's back up a little. If a tank has PS and the Aiptasia are not decreasing, then we must ask ourselves "Why?"

If you were surrounded by all kinds of food which one would you eat?
It's a simple matter of removing the food that the Peppermint Shrimp have been enjoying which has caused them to ignore the Aiptasia.
Here is what I would do. Stop feeding the tank for 5 days and feed half as much after that. It may take  some time to accomplish the goal, but the entire aquarium will be much better off for it.

What fish are in this tank and what size is it? 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 9:55am
Another problem with peppermints is kind of what Mark was saying. After they eat the Aiptasia... they start eating other stuff.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 2:54pm
yeah i agree that not feeding for 5 days would help them eat the aiptasia but also my other fish 4 tangs would probably start to eat other stuff also. my anthais would probably die going from 2 times a day feedings to once a week. not to say they would starve but the stress would cause my tangs and anithias to get ich or somethings else.
thanks for the imput! ill just stick with aiptasia x not worth the risk to me.
my tank is a 72g. aiptasia is a pain but not out of control it just bugs me to even have one!
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 4:58pm
I say get some berghias. I have never used them but have heard good things.

My experience is with Peppermint is negative. They were eating my LPS. They found out that I would feed my brains and acans and they learned to love them. I HATE peppermint shrimp and will never put one in my tanks again.

I would rather feed my corals and have them grow and look great. Peppermint shrimp did not allow me that luxury.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 6:36pm
i agree about peppermints dont trust them. thanks for all the imput!!Smile
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 8:27am
I've never had any problems with peppermint shrimp but have had good success with them eating aptasia in my tanks. Like most shrimp they are opportunistic eaters and if they aren't doing the job removing their food source does make them more likely to go after the aptasia. 

They have eaten small to medium size aptasia for me, I haven't had what I would call a large aptasia in my tanks but I would think that it would just take longer for them to finish a large one off. After the aptasia are gone just start feeding the tank as normal and the pepps are happy again cleaning up the scraps.

I haven't used the burghia just because the peppermint shrimp work for me and because unlike peppermint shrimp the burghia will die if there is no aptasia for them to eat. 
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 6:12pm
My experience has been just like Burt's. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic