Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cloudy day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cloudy day
    Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:10pm
ummmmm, ok so i got up this morning and turned on my lights and o hell my tank is all cloudy!! HELP!!!

HERE IS A PIC THE BEST I CAN DO ON MY PHONE!

and here is before

what do i do, i dont want to loose anyting!

(sorry for caps, did not relize that they were still on !
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Supareef22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supareef22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:17pm
Have you checked your salinity? last time my tank looked like that the problem was the salt. and it looked clear as soon as i got it back to normal and let it circulate

Mike
Window Well Covers Custom Built

Discount For Reef Friends
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:28pm
It never hurts to do a water change

Linn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Supareef22 Supareef22 wrote:

Have you checked your salinity? last time my tank looked like that the problem was the salt. and it looked clear as soon as i got it back to normal and let it circulate
Mike

does this help?
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Supareef22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supareef22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 1:56pm
Im with Linn I would do a water change now and go easy on the salt imo my tank seems best when my salinity is .020~.022

Mike
Window Well Covers Custom Built

Discount For Reef Friends
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 2:00pm
Looks like a bacterial bloom to me. Did anything stir up the sand recently? Maybe a powerhead fell and it is kicking up sand and releasing some food for the bacteria?

To combat a bacterial bloom, you usually need a UV sterilizer to kill off the bacteria. If you don't have one, see if someone will lend you one for a week or so.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 2:28pm
Looks like a bacteria bloom to me!
How long has the tank been setup?
Did you recently add more fish or anything?

Bacteria blooms normally go away on their own in a few days. The bloom is usualy due to a sudden increase in nitrates. The bacteria is just trying to catch up to balance out the bio-filtration in your tank.

Have you checked your water parameters yet?
If so can you post them?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 2:39pm
i dont have anyting to check with, i take my water to fish 4 u and they test it, they are telling me that my salt is just right, but that my trites are a little high, not my trates but my trites, and i have no idea how to get it down, i am using

reef builder and buffer alomg with prime ans stability, and put in kordon's fish protector once a week

i have not added anything to my tank in about about a week , i know that i added my green bubble anenmaie(dont know how to spell it) and two small wild clowns but that is it, i have put nothing else in the tank other then fragstock stuff and that is it, i did put a new lighting system on the tank, could that cause issues? i changed it from two 175w halids and two t12 vho lights, so i have no ideal what else would be goin on please help, if anyone would like to stop in and test and take a look at the setop and tell me if i should change anything please feel free to text me of call or email,

phone 801 903 3893
email [email protected]

Edited by bik3rinblack - April 14 2011 at 2:51pm
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 3:52pm
Did you add in any of your additives last night?  The additives could contribute to this as it could cause a major imbalance.  Looking at your tank it does not appear that you have any corals, so the demand for those additives are not that great.  Water changes will probably provide most if not all you need until you get stocked with some corals.  Also if you are adding in those things, you really need to invest in your own test kits as it is important to keep things in balance as best as possible.  There are several articles to review on that.

Also the higher nitrites should be resolved by doing a simple water change of 5-10%.  But also you will want to not feed your fish/tank for a day or two.  That should help the bacteria in your tank catch up.  If the nitrites don't come down after the water change I would suggest another water change as high nitrites can kill things in your tank.

Why the high nitrites?  If the tank is only a few weeks/months old it has not built up enough bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrites that are generated by your tank.  This could be due to a sudden increase in the bio load (more fish, inverts, corals) or a reduction in your bio filtration (skimmer is not working, replacing rock/sand, clogged filter, etc).
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 4:03pm
300 dollars worth of corals, tank is 3-4 months old, so that is were it is at! i only add additives in the morning, i do not do it at night, because i dont want to over load the tank
i dont have any test kits becuae i have had no one be able to show me how to use the damg things, that is y i have my water tested,

i wish i could get my ands on a controler but that is not in the money for me right now!
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by bik3rinblack bik3rinblack wrote:

300 dollars worth of corals, tank is 3-4 months old, so that is were it is at! i only add additives in the morning, i do not do it at night, because i dont want to over load the tank
i dont have any test kits becuae i have had no one be able to show me how to use the damg things, that is y i have my water tested,

i wish i could get my hands on a controller but that is not in the money for me right now!

sorry typing this on my phone, it is not easy to do if you know what i mean
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 4:58pm
I just did not notice very many corals directly in the photos you posted.  Anyway, the additives are probably not needed.  However, the only way to know is to test for the things you are adding.  You can have Fish4U do it and they could also instruct you on how to use the tests that they sell.  Also you could have one of the club members come over and help you out.

A tank controller is a nice thing, but they do not test for Alk/Cal/Mag which is primarily what you want to test for when growing corals.  The only thing that I have seen controllers test for is ORP/Ph/Salinity/Temp/O2, so those are good things to monitor, and there are probably a few other things they check for but they will not replace test kits (at least not at this point in time).  One of the nice features besides checking a few different things on the tank they are useful in controlling lights, fans, and other equipment to help try to prevent issues from happening.

Since this is a new tank it is still getting settled in, so I would definitely hold off on adding anything new for a few months as it seems like you are beyond the max the tank can handle at this point.  Doing a water change right now is a good thing.

How often are you feeding your tank and how much?  Also how many fish do you have in your tank?  Do you run a refugium with or without a skimmer?

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 6:59pm
sounds like you are just adding way too much! get some test kits slow it down a bit find what your tank really needs then add it. not trying to be rude but 3 months is not enough time to find what your tank needs. it is not even stable yet. i would do a 20-30% water change and take a step back. do things in moderation. also if you have nitrites at all they are toxic to corals/inverts. just so you are aware.
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 7:01pm
oh and whats the temp? when things heat up i have seen water go cloudy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by WhiteReef WhiteReef wrote:

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; "><span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 1.4;">I just did not notice very many corals directly in the photos you posted.  Anyway, the additives are probably not needed.  However, the only way to know is to test for the things you are adding.  You can have Fish4U do it and they could also instruct you on how to use the tests that they sell.  Also you could have one of the club members come over and help you out.</span><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; "><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; ">A tank controller is a nice thing, but they do not test for Alk/Cal/Mag which is primarily what you want to test for when growing corals.  The only thing that I have seen controllers test for is ORP/Ph/Salinity/Temp/O2, so those are good things to monitor, and there are probably a few other things they check for but they will not replace test kits (at least not at this point in time).  One of the nice features besides checking a few different things on the tank they are useful in controlling lights, fans, and other equipment to help try to prevent issues from happening.<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; "><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; "><span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 1.4;">Since this is a new tank it is still getting settled in, so I would </span>definitely<span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 1.4;"> hold off on adding anything new for a few months as it seems like you are beyond the max the tank can handle at this point.  Doing a water change right now is a good thing.</span><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; "><span ="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 1.4;"></span><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; "><div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; ">How often are you feeding your tank and how much?  Also how many fish do you have in your tank?  Do you run a refugium with or without a skimmer?

tank feeding happen between 7 and 10 am and only one time a day, 2 tangs (med yellow, med sail-fin, one yellow molly (converted from fresh) two clowns, fish, one serpent star,1 lawnmower blenny, 1 coral beauty, 1 tri color wrasse, and two others, just dont remember there name(one is samon color and the other and other is just a little lighter then that) if you want pics i can try to put some up
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by dc dc wrote:

sounds like you are just adding way too much! get some test kits slow it down a bit find what your tank really needs then add it. not trying to be rude but 3 months is not enough time to find what your tank needs. it is not even stable yet. i would do a 20-30% water change and take a step back. do things in moderation. also if you have nitrites at all they are toxic to corals/inverts. just so you are aware.

there is nothing else gettin added to it, the tank was up and running for over three years, i have the sand in there, and that is about it, i used all new rock and stuff other then that, i pull 5 gallons a day and let my ro auto top off refill it, till i got the salt down and when i took the salt own below .25 it went like this, i have had a small ammount of nitrite the whole time and i have luckley not had anyting go, and that is the straange part, i had nothing and now i have them it is starnge
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 8:56pm
And the temp is between 74/75 and.that is about it
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 9:36pm
it sounds like the tank is going through a small cycle, i have seen it even in older tanks as well as newer ones. i would say watch it, get some tests CA,ALK and Nitrates to start with. get your water tested and then test it yourself to be sure. watch the nitrites and trates if they get super high .2+ and 60+ do a big water change. if they stay lower than that i would leave it as long as it cycles out in a week or 2. cut back on feeding a little for a week or 2 also.
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 10:20pm
What about something spawning? I have never seen it myself, but do you have anything that can spawn like macro algae?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 10:23pm
Not that I know of that is y I am asking of anyone that can help me out and come check and make sure I am doing everything right or of I need to change anything around
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic