Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vodka dosing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:14pm
K ive been dosing fuel 1 to 2 times a week. I want to start dosing some other things if I need to. What are some things I should start with,how much,what are some good brands. I right now also have a 32oz of calcuim chloride they are aquatic tranqulity and sodium bicarbonate also. i won them from frag stock.

Edited by BnK - April 17 2011 at 5:49pm
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:34pm
How long has the tank be established.  What do you want to dose and why?
210 gallon Mixed Reef
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:47pm
since beginnning of feb it was a established tank. move was fast and had small cycle. had couple bumps but doin very good for last month. I will take readings and post lil later. i got a couple colonies of sps. along with other frags. I dont want to dose if I dont need to. I use fuel once to twice a week.If it is to early then that is good would save me money lol.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:51pm
We use to dose with Vodka and had no problems what so ever. It worked great for us but now we do not dose with Vodka. It seems like it's an ever changing cycle we have with different products. Smile
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:53pm
Yes, please post up some more info and I'm sure you'll get a ton of help. 
210 gallon Mixed Reef
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 5:58pm
Yea pam I was gonna do the vodka dosing but I am just not comfortable yet to do something like that. I do want to in the future so i will read up more on it and want to visit with someone that does it and just gather more info. Im looking into gettin a reactor and bio-pellets soon. All my corals seem to be doin good had a couple casalites cuz dumb crabs knocking them off and they hit my torch or end up in the sand. But besides that they are growing.

I will for sure take readings and will post as soon as i do
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 6:04pm
When we first got in the hobby it was a guy names Chris that has showed us how he dosed with Vodka, we decided to try what he suggested from the very beginning and it went well. Just ask as many questions as you need too, people will be great with giving you answers.

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 6:23pm
Well you only need to dose what your tank is using up. With that said most people have to dose cal, alk and periodically mag.   Or have a reactor or use kalkwasser. Almost every tank will use Cal and alk farely quickly. Other than that you have to test to see what needs to be supplemented or replaced from water changes. To get increased coral growth or fix problems there are other supplements. Until your having problems or looking for specific results they are not a necessity though.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 7:49pm
k here is my readings HAGEN MASTER TEST KIT
temp-78
salinty-1.026
cal-500
nitrite-0.1
nitrate- think 10 but not sure it is bright purple and there is not really a purple that bright to me on the color chart.
ph-8.1
kh-190
iron (non chelated) and (chelated) 0
phosphates-0.25
ammonia-0

I also got this frag prolly a month ago it has done real well then all the sudden been gettin white spots here is a pic.Its the bright orange one on the right

Edited by BnK - April 17 2011 at 8:06pm
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 8:02pm

I wonder what you people who have dosed with vodka find to be a good level to maintain and how much you would dose, how often to get there.

JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 8:16pm
saltlaketank Look at the second post of the thread ryan gives a link.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 8:28pm
I read the link that Ryan posted and i am going to have to admit
I did not understand 98% of it.
Conclusion at least with my tank "If it's not Broke don't Fix it".
Not reallyunderstanding the benefit of doing this,nor the actual conclusion of the Link that Ryan posted.Guess i am an idiot.Confused
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by wickedsnowman wickedsnowman wrote:

Well im not an expert on the matter but here is randy farely talking about it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1338359&highlight=vitamin+c

Most people on RC use the iherb brand.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=10178&at=0
Sorry Ryan did not posted.this is the one i did not understand.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

I read the link that Ryan posted and i am going to have to admit
I did not understand 98% of it.
Conclusion at least with my tank "If it's not Broke don't Fix it".
Not reallyunderstanding the benefit of doing this,nor the actual conclusion of the Link that Ryan posted.Guess i am an idiot.Confused

You're definitely NOT an idiot Paul. It's just a different filtration system for running a reef. One where you don't need a refugium, algae or anything like that. The bacteria consume nitrate and phosphate and then are skimmed out. You regulate the bacterial population by regulating a key ingredient of their food supply which in this case is organic carbon (vodka, sugar, etc.) 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Well im not an expert on the matter but here is randy farely talking about it. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1338359&highlight=vitamin+c Most people on RC use the iherb brand. http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=10178&at=0

Sorry Ryan did not posted.this is the one i did not understand.

Yeah your not an idiot dude. This link isn't meant to explain or even give directions on how to use vitamin c. It is simply meant as a reference to the fact vit c can be used as an organic carbon source.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 9:48pm
Ok.Thanks for putting in terms i can understand.Big smile
I have read horror stories of overdosing with vodka.
To me it does not seem to be any cheaper (maybe i am wrong) than using Phosgaurd.
At least with the Phosgaurd i do not have to worry about nuking the tank if I screw up.
I personally do not run a Refugium.Just Phosgaurd and Charcoal.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:50pm
I have used Brown Sugar in the past to kick a up grade off. It makes sense in some aspects.
In my opinion I wouldn't use vodka even for an experiment. I have seen 3 tanks that were dosing crash horribly. 1 was  controlled by dosing pumps and all three had taken every precaution they could think of. Crap happens.

Its true that many things we do can result in horrible results. It is true that that's a possibility in our hobby. The forum has postings from members from time to time "throwing in the towel" because they had a leaking issue, crash from poor maintenance, dosing pumps going bad, heat, cold etc. Heck I nuked my office tank a couple months ago by leaving a space heater on. Shit will happen. However why would I raise my risk of destruction when there are safer methods? Again just my opinion.

In thinking about it I guess it wouldn't be as bad if all you were doing it to was a nano. A 200g reef with thousands invested would be a risky proposition.  Search Reef Central for a crap load of destruction stories. If you feel its still for you just be prepared for the possibility.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

I have used Brown Sugar in the past to kick a up grade off. It makes sense in some aspects. In my opinion I wouldn't use vodka even for an experiment. I have seen 3 tanks that were dosing crash horribly. 1 was  controlled by dosing pumps and all three had taken every precaution they could think of. Crap happens.Its true that many things we do can result in horrible results. It is true that that's a possibility in our hobby. The forum has postings from members from time to time "throwing in the towel" because they had a leaking issue, crash from poor maintenance, dosing pumps going bad, heat, cold etc. Heck I nuked my office tank a couple months ago by leaving a space heater on. Shit will happen. However why would I raise my risk of destruction when there are safer methods? Again just my opinion.In thinking about it I guess it wouldn't be as bad if all you were doing it to was a nano. A 200g reef with thousands invested would be a risky proposition.  Search Reef Central for a crap load of destruction stories. If you feel its still for you just be prepared for the possibility.

Thats why I think Vitamin C is an awesome alternative to vodka. I think as long as your not dosing alot like under 10ppm twice per day and have an adequate skimmer. There is not really a way it could crash your tank.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 1:42am

Thats why I think Vitamin C is an awesome alternative to vodka. I think as long as your not dosing alot like under 10ppm twice per day and have an adequate skimmer. There is not really a way it could crash your tank.

I don't know if I think Vit C is an adequate substitute for vodka or something like reef biofuel. I have dosed Vit C for over a year now, and never saw anywhere near the results I do dosing reef biofuel. It would seem like it should work much differently because vit c is an acid, not a complex carbon compound like sugar or ethanol. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 7:49am
Yeah i can understand that. Although it provides food for bacteria it might not be any where near the same amount as vodka.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic