Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vodka dosing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 2:03pm

Like Mark posted above, read the article below (I read it several times before I first started dosing).  I used his recipe of vodka, sugar (I got priming sugar from Beer Nut on State Stree for $0.78), and vinegar.

After reading a lot of forums and other articles, it was the article above that actually gave me the confidence to go for it.  I dose 1ml per day in my 120G tank along with MB7.  I also seed with Prodibio ever 6 - 8 weeks just to mix up the diversity.  I occasionally miss a day here and there and have gone on a couple of 3 - 4 day vacations where the tank wasn't fed or dosed at all (except ALK and Ca from my doser) and everything was fine.

As Ryan mentioned, for the first month requires very diligent testing because the ALK and Ca demand drops drastically as your system adjusts, but then the demand greatly increases and growth takes off like nothing you've ever seen....water clears...color improves (if you have quality lighting)..and the fun begins.  I am a believer that a quality skimmer is an important componant as it allows for export of dead bacteria..and it's the bacteria that consumes the nasties that we don't want in our tank (phosphates and nitrates).  Meanwhile, the coral absolutely love to feed on the live bacteria and they will reward you for this.

Edited by jcom - April 18 2011 at 2:10pm
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 9:20am

Silly questions as I haven't read enough on this yet,(I know it has been done for a long time, just haven't started to research it until now). I assume you are introducing some form of bacteria(ie. MB7) at the same time?  I'd be a bit worried to dose straight w/out it...?  Also, after a period of time wouldn't you be starving your tank of nutrients?  Also, any opinions on something like BioFuel vs Vodka? Thanks!

Ok, another question - I currently run a carbon and phosguard reactor.  Should these be removed if I start this?

and another... - looks like NP Reducing BioPellets are very effective.  Anyone use these?  Would they not do essentially the same thing as dosing vodka...?  Thanks!

Edited by rfoote - July 04 2011 at 11:00am
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 11:27am
bump - I'd like to know opinions/experiences with these carbon sources.  One of my concerns is my LPS(specifically Elegance) - would I be starving them of nutrients?  Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic