Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

08TRDOFFROAD's 45 Gallon Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:29am
The Toadstool seems to be coming around. The polyps have been extending further and further each day.

I also picked up a TINY Hippo Tang yesterday from Jerry at Marine Aquatics (smaller than a quarter)! I can't tell you how impressed I am with the quality of fish Jerry brings in! I tried to get a picture of it this morning, but it is better at hide and go seek than I am. It was tucked into a nook in the rock so I just couldn't get a decent picture of it! I will try to get some tonight when it is out and about.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - May 11 2011 at 10:31am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 10:24am
Here are the pictures of my new tang as promised. It is so small, as you can tell from its size compared to clownfish in the tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 10:37am
I have some birdsnest I'm selling. I found that my tiny blue tang loved to hide in the birdsnest and I think it helped him relax.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 8:35am
I just wanted to throw up some of the growth pictures of my Green Birdsnest...Seems to really be taking off in my tank!

As of 5/2/2011

As of last night, 5/12/2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 8:56pm

Well I just wanted to throw some new pictures up.

Here are a couple of my Green Toadstool Leather, it has finally started opening up regularly.

And now some more growth shots of the Green Birdsnest! I cannot believe the amount of growth I am seeing out of this frag!

As of 5/12/2010...

As of this morning!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 6:04pm
Well, over the last couple days I have noticed that my xenia is not open and pulsing, it is balled up and not looking the greatest, but my other corals look great and are growing (well at least the birdnest). What could be causing this? I know I am probably due for a water change, but would like some input as to what else might be causing this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 5:44pm
I added two Koralia nano 425's to the tank and I have to say I am pretty disappointed with their output. Their GPH rating is very misleading. My Maxi Jet 1200 that is rated at 295 gph pushes much more water then they do! I kind of feel like I wasted $60. I am hoping that once I get the sump up and running the added 300 gph offow will be adequate with the nano's...

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - June 01 2011 at 5:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 8:25pm
Well, this morning before work I tested my water...

Temp: 79 degrees
Salinity: 1.025
DKH: 4.8
Alk: 1.713 meq/l
PH: 7.7
Ca: 400 mg/l

It appears that my PH, Alkalinity and Calcium are low...the alk is about half of what it should be according to my test kit.

I have a hard time grasping water chemistry so I am going to need some help fixing it. How do I go about raising PH, and Alkalinity? I looked in Drs Foster Smith magazine and found that Kent Tech CB part A and b will raise Calcium and buffer the system. Is this an appropriate suppliment or is there something out there that is better or cheaper??? Help!!

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - June 02 2011 at 8:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 7:45pm
Well, I just placed a big order with Drs Foster and Smith, BRS, and Aquacave!

I am throwing the kitchen sink at this tank! If what I ordered doesn't solve my issues I am selling everything and getting out of this hobby for good!

My Aquacave order includes:
~Sicce Syncra 3.0 pump

My DFS order includes:
~Eshopps PH-300 Overflow box
~Various Loc line parts for my return line
~Filter Media Bag
~Carbon

These will make up the large part of my 10 g sump that is in the works.

My order from BRS includes:

~New RO membrane
~Flow restrictor to match new membrane
~New 5 Stage RO prefilters with Color changing DI
~Refillable 10" DI cartridge
~BRS Dual GFO and Carbon Reactor
~BRS Bulk GFO-1 lb

Hopefully this stuff will come in the next week and I can get this tank cleaned and cleared up! I am at my wits end with this dumb tank! If I can't get the water to clear up and get a grip on the algae I don't know how long I will keep fighting with it! I will end up breaking it down and selling it off and sticking to FW in the future...maybe dabble in FW rays a bit....who knows....

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - June 04 2011 at 7:46pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 8:37pm
I hope this works for you. I would hate for you to leave the hobby because of this experience. I noticed you didn't get any help with Alk or PH question before, just use baking soda. Don't go spending tons of money on special suppliments. Make sure to take your time increasing it.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 2:24am
Originally posted by 08TRDOFFROAD 08TRDOFFROAD wrote:

Well, I just placed a big order with Drs Foster and Smith, BRS, and Aquacave!

I am throwing the kitchen sink at this tank! If what I ordered doesn't solve my issues I am selling everything and getting out of this hobby for good!

My Aquacave order includes:
~Sicce Syncra 3.0 pump

My DFS order includes:
~Eshopps PH-300 Overflow box
~Various Loc line parts for my return line
~Filter Media Bag
~Carbon

These will make up the large part of my 10 g sump that is in the works.

My order from BRS includes:

~New RO membrane
~Flow restrictor to match new membrane
~New 5 Stage RO prefilters with Color changing DI
~Refillable 10" DI cartridge
~BRS Dual GFO and Carbon Reactor
~BRS Bulk GFO-1 lb

Hopefully this stuff will come in the next week and I can get this tank cleaned and cleared up! I am at my wits end with this dumb tank! If I can't get the water to clear up and get a grip on the algae I don't know how long I will keep fighting with it! I will end up breaking it down and selling it off and sticking to FW in the future...maybe dabble in FW rays a bit....who knows....

These purchases will for sure make your tank and life much easier.....however, I feel your pain and the frustration that comes with a tank that we spend hours on, only to not be up to par.....(algae, dying fish, disease, pests, etc.)  The best advice I can give you, is don't fret over it so much that it drives you to almost leave the hobby.  I have learned when my frustration peaks over a tank problem, its time to take a break.  Don't worry about your tank for a few weeks.  Keep your hands out of the tank and give it a rest.  Heck, skip water changes.  Just keep/get ALK, CAL, and MAG in order and let it ride.  Sometimes, time is all the tank needs to figure itself out on its own.  Plus time away from the tank also keeps us all sane, especially when it just isn't how we want it!

Keep your build thread going, and good luck!

sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 9:33am
Those things aren't going to cure a tank problem, those are maintenance items.

Do what has already been suggested.  Get live sand and macro algae from someone and leave it alone for a month.

What made you think the old Koralias were too large?

Edited by sunflashx - June 05 2011 at 9:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by sunflashx sunflashx wrote:

Those things aren't going to cure a tank problem, those are maintenance items.

Do what has already been suggested.  Get live sand and macro algae from someone and leave it alone for a month.

What made you think the old Koralias were too large?

The tank has long finished cycling and at this point has a well established biological filter. Live sand will do nothing for me. And I am in the process of finishing up my sump to be able to run macro algae if the GFO doesn't resolve my algae issue.

The fact that it looked like a snow globe in my tank with them on made me think that the Koralia 4's were too large!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 8:37pm

I have been working on my sump the past few days while I wait for the rest of the equipment to show up. It is still a work in progress. I have to silicone at least one more baffle in. I have been siliconing one baffle in at a time. I will try to get the last one glued in tonight after work or tomorrow before. I am using glass I purchased several years ago during my first DIY sump attempt (at the conclusion of which I ended up having a glass shop cut me 1/4" instead) and glass from a picture frame I bought cheap at the DI, since one of the pieces I had on hand broke wrong when I scored it.

The first one I siliconed in yesterday...

The second one I did this morning before I left for work.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - June 08 2011 at 8:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 5:18pm

I finished up my sump this moring before work! Good thing because UPS dropped off a big box right after I left for work...the rest of the stuff I ordered should be here tomorrow.

Dimensions of the sump are as follows. Standard 10 g tank 20"X10"x12" It is divided as follows:  Refugium 11"x10"x7 inches of water, bubble baffles are 7" high on the outer sides and the inner is 8" with a 1.25" gap underneath, return section is 7"x10"X7" which leaves me roughly 2 gallons of water in the return section.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - June 09 2011 at 5:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 2:48pm
Wow. I haven't updated this in a while! I finally got the water clarity issue resolved and the tank has been crystal clear for months now. I plumbed  in an ATO to take care of top off and picked up an awesome tiny Kole Tang from the Aquarium. The tanks has kind of been on cruise control for the last little while. I did have an issue with some bubble algae, but I purchased an Emerald Crab and my manual removal seems to have gotten on top of it.

After my swamp water issues my birdsnest bleached out, but I think it is coming around!

My Toadstool seems to be growing!

Xenia

Kenya Tree's

My Hammer Coral, I started with four heads, I know how 5.5 (one hasn't completely split yet)!

My zoa's were choked out by hair algae and bubble algae, which I got aggressive with and removed. They seem to be recovering nicely.

My Kole posing for a pic! He is quickly becoming a favorite!

The rest of the fish randomly

And of course, a few FTS's!
Yes, I am watching Deadliest Catch on DVD in the background! :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 7:54am

Well, I had the pleasure of visiting with bfessler on Monday night! He has an amazing frag tang set up in his basement. Needless to say I drained my fishy fund and picked up a Rose Anemone, 5 heads of Nuclear Green Candy Cane (correct me if I have the name wrong Burt), and a frag of Green Star Polyps.

I added the anemone to the tank and had a surprise a couple hours after adding it.....it started splitting already!!!!!!!!

The middle stages of the spilt.

The following morning it was done! I had two RBTA's!

I have read that they can split when life is going well, or when they are stressed. I would imagine this was induced by stress. Hopefully "the twins" will settle into the tank and grow well now. They are still roaming the tank a bit. Hopefully they will quickly find a spot that they will be happy and open up a bit more.

The Nuclear Green Candy Cane is probably one of the coolest corals I have owned. The camera can't even pick up the true color of this piece!

This is probably my favorite picture I have every taken. I took this shortly after lights out!

My Emerald Crab was feeling left out so he decided to pose for a few pictures.

I will keep updating this thread as things progress!

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - November 10 2011 at 6:32am
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 10:18am
Tanks is looking great and coming along nicely! I applaud your patience. Slow and steady wins the race in the reef game. Love build/progress threads from the SLC reefers, since I don't get down that way much to check out how other people do things.

Keep up the good work.

Bret
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Snowsrfr Snowsrfr wrote:

Tanks is looking great and coming along nicely! I applaud your patience. Slow and steady wins the race in the reef game. Love build/progress threads from the SLC reefers, since I don't get down that way much to check out how other people do things.

Keep up the good work.

Bret

Thanks!

One of my favorite quotes is," The ocean wasn't stocked in a day, neither is a successful reef tank."

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 1:03pm
Many religions would say that the ocean was in fact stocked in a day though.  Im lost on the quote.

Looks like that rock is finally starting to take color!
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic