Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

08TRDOFFROAD's 45 Gallon Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 9:54pm

I woke up a bit early this morning and fired up the LED's to give the corals enough time to open up and look "purdy" before I left for work!

It's picture time!

We'll start off with the Rose Anemone's! These have put on some size over the last few months!

With flash

My Nuclear Green Candy Canes are looking much better than they were! With your guys help I brought them back from death's door step!

With Flash

My Horizon Paly's have been doing great! I started with one polyp a few months ago. The pictures explain the rest.

Next up is the Kenya Tree "frags". They are much a frag anymore, more like mini colonies!

On to my Hammer Coral, it is looking much better down near the sand bed than it has in a few months! I think it was just getting too much light. It seems to be darkening up a bit more now too!

The Green Toadstool still seems a bit bleached, but I'm not sure how much longer I will keep it.

My zoa's are finally starting to multiply. Here they are at random. (My new frag blew off the plug and I am currently trying to get them to attach to the rock work, so there are no pictures of them this time)

The Green Star polyp frag that I was hoping would quickly cover my back glass is only growing slowly but surely!

A mystery coral that came on another frag, I believe it is a clove of some sort. I have seen noticeable growth in these as well over the last few months.

And, last but not least! My ever growing coralline spot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 9:57pm

And a final update, that will bring the tank to it's current status.

I picked up a bunch of stuff from Burt's "Going out of business" sale! Ha ha!

First, one of my favorite new additions. The Torch Coral!

These pictures don't even do this Torch justice! The longest sweepers are probably 6-8 inches long! It has the brightest green tips I have ever seen! I suspect it is an Austrailian variant...Burt, can you confirm or refute this? All I know is I haven't seen anything near this nice in any of the LFS....ever!!!!

Orange Digitata

Idaho Grape Monti

Pink Monti

Zoa's

Purple Paly's

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - May 04 2012 at 12:25pm
jeromy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 10:46pm
Looking good! Great job on the led fixture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 12:26pm
Thanks! I am very happy with the way it turned out.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 3:57pm
Nice job with the LEDs! There's no way I could have done that haha.. Your tank is looking awesome.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 4:16pm
Nice JOB!  +1

So how the heck do you get pictures that look anything like reality with the LEDs on.  I have a Nikon D200 and a selection of lenses to choose from but I usually get crazy colors under the Blues and although the mixed shots are sorta kinda Ok... they basically SUCK.  I really want to post pics but am so afraid of the pictures I have I have not posted anything!  WHAT do you do for white balance?
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:46pm
Rufessor, to be honest I am just using a cheaper point and shoot Panasonic camera, I shoot with the white balance on auto and it just adjusts on its own. I usually don't even use the flash as it seems to wash the colors out a bit. But even the pictures I post are not an accurate rendering of color!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:16pm
Yeah in the past I have had problems taking pics of my tank with the LEDs. I don't really know why they make the camera freak out, but they do..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 6:43am

I took some new updated FTS and coral shots. I had a really hard time getting the camera to focus last night, so forgive some of the blurry shots, the Point and shoot didn't want to cooperateve very much! And these were taken right after I did a water change so some of the corals aren't at their happiest moments!

FTS

Rose Bubble Tip Anemones

Torch Coral

Hammer

Nuclear Green Candy Cane

Idaho Grape Monti

Pink Monti

Orange Digitata

Kenya Trees

Green Star Polyps

Zoanthids

Horizon Palys

Purple Palys

Green Toadstool Leather (not very happy)

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp pair

I have noticed the monti's have lightened up a bit since picking them up from Burt, so I dialed my led's back just a touch yesterday to see if I can get them to brighten up again!

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:24pm
I just read through the whole thread and, wow! That was pretty cool. It gives hope to a newbie like me to see the whole process and different stages of emotion of excitement, panic, despair, frustration, satisfactions and contentment. All the pictures are awesome! You build your own LED's?! Man, that's way out of my range. Thanks for all the work to do tell the story!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:16am

Last night while my wife and I were eating dinner, I noticed something "fishy" going on in the tank! I will let the pictures do the explaining!

My clownfish are hosting my Torch Coral!!!! Not exactly what I was hoping them to host, but it works for be! It was very cool to see just have playful their antics are with the Torch! Now hopefully eggs aren't too far in the future!

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - May 26 2012 at 7:18am
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:22am
Very cool man! I like that first picture with the clown hanging out between the torch heads.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:51am
That's awesome man! My clowns wont host anything in my tank. I want to get an anemone and maybe the will host that haha.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 9:14am
Very nice build and it looks FantasticThumbs Up.
One question: Is your Hammer physically touching your leather.
Hammer has a nasty sting and leather has a nasty toxin that is released when irratated.
Might want to seperate the two. Just a thought.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 10:22am
Yeah, I noticed last night that they looks like they are now coming into contact with each other down near the base of the leather (the hammer has grown a ton in the last few weeks). I need to figure out somewhere else to put the hammer! I am just nervous about moving it because it looks so good right now!

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - May 26 2012 at 10:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic