Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(wood) router help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (wood) router help?
    Posted: April 16 2011 at 1:09am
I'm building my canopy for my 125g but have gotten to a sticking point.  I have 4 openings I need to 'rabbet' out for the panels that go in them.  I borrowed a router from a friend, but it only has the collet for the 1/2 shank bit... and heaven help me, no one locally carries a 1/2" shank rabbetting bit, they are all 1/4".  He doesn't have the collet nor a rabbeting bit.

I would like to buy my own router and bit, but budget won't allow it currently, so my ask is either:
1- does anyone have a 1/2" shank rabbetting bit I could borrow for literally 30 minutes
-or-
2- would anyone be willing to rabbet out these panels for me real quick?
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 8:20am
Woodcraft in SL probably has the right bit.

Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 9:28am
Another good source is M&M Tools on about 3300 South and Main in Salt Lake.  Here is their web page: http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/.

If you are just doing a straight cut at the end of the board (what I consider a typical rabbit) you can usualy to a fine job on a table saw, if you have one.  A good dado blade helps with that.

Edited by Thorn - April 16 2011 at 9:31am
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 11:54am
What brand of router is it?
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 3:21pm
Tyler, its a borrowed porter cable.  I may check out the SLC stores, but didn't want to go that far.. I'll go try harbor freight, any excuse is good to get out there :).  If not, I found it online for $25. One more thing to learn patience with :S

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 3:31pm
Are you just trying to router out for inserts? (like you would for glass?)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 3:35pm
I have a Porter Cable as well. I have both 1/4 and 1/2 collets if you want to borrow one you can
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 5:36pm
Dion, yes inside edges to insert panel like you would a piece of glass.

Tyler, thanks! I'll let you know if I need to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 11:46pm
Just wanted to thank you all for the input, I figured out a solution.  I picked up an adjustable slot cutting bit with multiple blades.  Stacked a couple to give me the proper depth I needed, the bit I picked up allowed the complete customization of where to place the cutting discs, washers and bearing!  Kinda a fun to do, but now that the rabbetting is over... seemed kinda like a 'duh' moment.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic