Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

orange digi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 9:49pm
Do you dose anything?......iodine.....strontium?

Edited by jmw - April 19 2011 at 9:50pm
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 11:41pm
no I dont dose anything but the fuel.

My nitite is 0 again. and my nitrate is now 5 ammonia is 0 also
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 2:04am
K I was wrong this wasnt a orange digi. Forgot the name and seen one like it so though it was orange digi it was a Red Montipora Setosa.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:28pm
any frag you get from a LFS, always...ALWAYS do Iodine dip. 1 quart water from your tank and 10 drops leave it in for 3 min max! 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:39pm
How do you tell the difference between M. digitata and M. setosa?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:43pm
The color and the texture of the coral 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:46pm
The Setosa has single polyps in the ends of each "branch" unlike the Digi which has them all over the flesh. The Setosa is also more of a nice pinkish red, not orange. And Setosa is a deeper water coral and it does better with a little less light.

I got a frag of Red Setosa at Fragstock and at first I put it a little too high in the tank and it started to fade out and almost bleach after only 2 days.

I put it in a lower light area and the color came back slowly over the next 2 weeks.

Setosa is also alot more sensitive to water parameter changes than digi.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

How do you tell the difference between M. digitata and M. setosa?

Setosa is sweeter tasting and less filling. Wink

Seriously, I agree with Bob.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 11:57pm
Yes, I agree but yet can we tell by looking at the pic which it is?
And if it is M. setosa, since it does not like as much light, do we figure that it bleached or died because of too much light or because of handling, or what?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 12:15am
It is M.setosa. I got some of the m.digi today and it is way different. in color and look. And jcoulter got the same also when we got frags from nick a bit ago. I just confused the names when I posted this.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 12:18am
I think the light was the issue. I put it low then only after a day or two I put it up top since my goby was burying it. I have learned alot from some guys on here about lighting and corals. I know make sure to know what lighting they have when I buy frags and were they have placed there's so I can place mine accoradanly.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 12:25am
I have my Setosa right under a 250w light. It set high in my tank. My setosa is really bright red and doing good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic