Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow 55 Gal build/rehab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow 55 Gal build/rehab
    Posted: April 19 2011 at 10:56pm

I got a good deal on an old odd sized 55 gallon tank, and thought I’d see what I can make with it.  It measures about 48 long x 15 wide x 17 tall, which I calculate is more like 53 gal.

Here's a photo:

The frame is beat up, but the glass seems to be in good shape.  I’ll have to make a stand cover the frame, though.  Someone added some calking in the corners and it is a bit sloppy.  I figured I will drill the back for overflows and a return and see if it survives.  If it does, I’ll scrape out the bad silicone and do a better job before I leak test it. 

Fortunately, I got a good enough price to not care too much if it doesn’t survive the initial rehab.  I will be going slow on this as I intend to do most things DIY.  Probably the slowest thing will be building the stand, when it comes to that.

Has anyone ever seen one of these takes before?  I tried searching a bit, but cannot figure out who the manufacturer was.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic