Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new tank moving tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tank moving tomorrow
    Posted: April 21 2011 at 9:47pm

Hello my name is Sean! I met a few of you during the reef tour. I am new to utah, we moved here from Montana last year. I will be moving a tank into our new apartment this weekend and am in need of some advice and possibly help with my setup. If anyone has any advice on how to best move my recently purchased 55g tank. It comes with a canister filter and a few other things. I will need a test kit and some advice. If you want to call me i'm on the road as a courier driver and you can call me at 8012436750 and let me know if you have any helpful advice. also i need some macro algae for my tank (red grape if you have it) and I will be giving away the triggerfish that it comes with if anyone wants it. thank you for your time and have a good night!

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 10:32pm
In order to best help you we will need a little more info. From the picture I assume this tank you bought is currently running. Do you know how long? Does it have any livestock like inverts, coral or fish? How far is the move going to be? Does it come with the liverock and sand? Does it have a sump or refugium?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 10:54pm
the tank is coming in from ogden it has 50lbs of LR and live sand it comes with a decorator crab, a few tube worms and a triggerfish. it does not have a refugium or sump but I intend to build both of them in the next couple of months. it has a canister filter and some powerheads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 11:45pm
Well the best thing to do would be to move the liverock rock fully submerged in tank water. The sand should be moved in the tank with at least 6 inches of water. If thats not possible I would buy new sand and seed it with a cup or two of the live stuff. When a sand bed gets moved it releases all kinds of nasty stuff that will be bad for your tank. I would bag each critter by themselves and put them all in a cooler. When you set the tank back up try to use as much water from the tank as you can and fill the rest with new salt water. I would then acclimate the critters to the new tank using drip acclimation. Then throw some macro algae in the tank. Test the water and dont add anything else until the pollution goes away.

By the way welcome to the club!

Edited by wickedsnowman - April 22 2011 at 12:19am
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:05am
Sounds pretty cool, I agree with wickedsnowman, I have some macro, what kind of trigger are you getting? We could give him a home in our tank.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:20am
i can help you move the tank, i have the ways if you have the the rig to move it, i can get stuff and help you do so
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 2:47pm
Hey thanks for all the help and support! Its really nice to get responses so quickly! @ deejay and brittany: I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the triggerfish but I'll let you know if I need to find a home for it. Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 2:50pm
Oh and I can't figure out where to find this utah sand and rock. Does anyone know where I can go to get that stuff?
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by the seanze the seanze wrote:

Oh and I can't figure out where to find this utah sand and rock. Does anyone know where I can go to get that stuff?

Mark peterson is your guy for that hood good stuff he is wabhere on the boards somewhere ...
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 3:29pm
The rock is pretty hard to find these days unless you have a shovel and alot of patience lol. The sand is everywhere out there the really white stuff is little harder to find but you still can. Antelope island is covered in utah rock but its all protected land;(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic