Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sps is turning white

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 6:58pm
i have to say Mark can be kind of a pain but he means well, some post and post and seem to never learn and/or listen. i disagree and agree with alot of what Mark says. but i have to say we all should try to keep our fish and corals in good health, not just for us but for the reefs too!!!!!!
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 7:58pm
I will never listen to mark on anything because he thinks he's GOD of the reef world. Etc. Oh if I wanted affordable reef I wouldn't be in this hobby. Because its not affordable it takes a lot of money to have a nice looking reef not just boulders aka lbtr and algae in a tank with a few softies in it.
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by BnK BnK wrote:

snowsrfr came by and I am real thankful.
with that said. it is funny how many personalities are on this board and opinions.I get told on here by like 4 guys usually the same 4 that it is a new tank slow down. But then I get ones that I talk to at meetings,pm,that visit that everything looks,sounds,is good. When i got this tank from kody it was well established and like I said the move was fast and went well. used his rock,sand,and water. Things happen in the hobby sad to say fish and coral die some times with reason sometimes without. More people say my tank is established than ones that say aint. they just dont post because of certain peoples comments and get tired of hearing them. I wont name names and put them on blast like they like to do to others.There is a difference in bein helpful and pushing people away. Just like the private message I got a while back sayin he is angry or something I ignored it pretty much. But sad how many people I talk too are pushed away form this forum because of this.Kind of like a comment made with someone finding answers to a question on another forum and bein told well other forums are wrong or filled with noobs. Now dont get me wrong there are alot of good people and smart guys on this forum but come on get off you high horse. Well anyway thanx everyone even for the critisism. I have learned alot and got a long way to go. Oh and as for the sps we are thinking it was put to high up and I should of put it down lower.

You are getting told by your friends you meet that your tank is good and is sound?  Why so many problems then?  Just because we tell you to slow down or your tank needs some work doesn't mean we don't want to be your friends.  You are posting and asking for advice and we are trying to help....so far I have yet to see better advice given for this particular problem than what Mark has given.  You need to slow down and gain knowledge about this hobby.  Just by the sheer number of posts you generate regarding learning things and problems your having is concerning. 

Anyways, back to the problem....putting your SPS corals up too high would not cause it to white out at the base.  This advice is concerning.  This is not logical in any way.  Too much light leads to bleaching from the tips down.  The coral appears quite brown and is relatively dark which would lead me to assume an excess amount of nutrients in the tank.  Temp swings, not enough flow, too much flow, unstable Cal & Alk balance, or an unstable tank as a whole would likely be the culprit.  1 month old or 10 years old, a tank move is very hard on the tank and causes a great deal of havoc.  The most tank death I have ever had is after moving an established tank.....problems occurred up to 6 months after the move.    (dinos, random spikes, highly toxic gas pockets, etc.) 

As you mentioned it is quite funny how many personalities and opinions are on this forum....I hope you find success by following the opinions you are currently choosing to follow....if you continue to have problems, which it seems, it might be time to follow some different advice....I hope to see this tank flourish and that the number of problems posting diminishes....this is when you are following the best opinions and advice....

A new or old tank is irrelevant when we say "slow down"....your seeking knowledge and learning, however, this is being accompanied by a slew of problems....I would slow down considerably. 

Now that was a long post.  If you find my comments or advice hurtful or not helpful, perhaps they just plain upset you, just let me know, and I will honor your request and no longer respond to any of your questions.  This forum is a great place and your membership here should not be determined by big meany Mark or any of my advice that you may not like to hear.

Cheers & Good luck
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:01pm
Once again people leaving things out, or misinterpreting. My exact words were that more than like the piece on question just RTN'd. That being the tough and dad part of the SPS world. He had other pieces that were showing signs of bleaching. I recommended moving them down lower to adjust to the lighting. I know from experience that the power of T5's can be quite the shock to some corals. Also browning can be a cause of browning. In my tank I have a stag I had to move up higher to start getting color and a Garf Bonsai I am having to move down to get its dark purple and less browning. I left there today giving him my opinion and observations, a few things to try and we would go from there. I know I don't have the power to look at a pic and diagnose a tank but I'm willing to help him out and get all corals flourishing.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:01pm
Here's the problem... Mark's "advice" comes off more as an accusation. No one likes to be called a "fish killer". I bet he wouldn't like it very much if we called him a "baby clown fish killer". As for Bret's advice being incorrect we had someone else tell us today that could be the problem. Funny how you guys can tell flow, temp, nutrients, or stability of a tank from a picture. You know what they say about assuming? That you make an ass of yourself. The coral isn't brown. It's a dark purple. All our other corals and fish are doing just fine. The other problems you mention are mostly about fish that I believe we bought sick because they died shortly after bringing them home. Mainly from one place.

I don't mind opinions from any one on here as long as they don't come off demeaning and belittling.

Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:30pm
why so many problems? well I had a 110 gallon that was set up from scratch that was bowing so I took it down. There was some problems with that one. Then my 95g which had some problems. hmm then I got my wife a fluval with three fish and it was just to much to handle since like they say the smaller the tank the harder.So we upgraded to a 90g. That had couple problems but in all did ok. Then i bought bob's tank to make a aggresive tank. Now not all my posts were about problems some were questions on things some were things that i didnt know about that were normal for tanks like worms,what starfish were good,about ich when i though i had that but didnt. Some were askin advice like do ammonia dampners work.Maybe I shouldnt be doin three tanks But i am.It is not just one tank with problems it is tryin to learn as I go and asking questions.I went to aquatic dreams talked to them about it they said it could be a few things and gave me some pointers just like bret did. I might have mistyped what I ment by its the lighting but didnt want to go into depth of what we talked about. I have had two corals in this tank die. the orange monti which alot said rtn'd. And now this one. I had some fall into torch and hammer and were causualties from not gluing them down. and some fall behind the rock work.From what i see normal things that happen to people. The fish dying I have added one since that problem. Were a few people had problems with fish from that store also. My madrin draggonet which I was told would die in a tank to new is fat and healthy eating bugs. My powder blue tang that was a mistake for me to buy is healthy and alive.Like I have said Im here for help but there are ways to help and ways to not. bein called a fish killer and what not is not helpful but then again I didnt kill a tank of baby clowns either.As for a tank move Ive had two guys help me that have been in the hobby multiple yrs. One moved his tank from think it was wisconsin. Guess I just wont ask for help on the boards like I said. since everything is assumed on here.My cal and alk have been good the whole time,the temp is within 3 degree change,my flow is two koralia 3's and sea swirls which I have been told is good. My skimmer went down and caused a few problems but is fine. anyway i am rambling and lost train of though. I will take advice from people that have well established tanks that look good and take the time to travel to see my tank and help me with it over someone that looks at a couple pics and assumes. Sorry just the way I am. If people want to help that is fine but there are ways to do it Dont be a DIC#$ and belittle someone.

Edited by BnK - April 22 2011 at 9:31pm
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:37pm
and to respond on my friends tellin me its fine it started out as someone concerned and came to help, and I hope left as a new friend. That is how I met three friends on here they came to help and we clicked. they gave me advice and I take it. Just like bret he told me some things it could be what could help me prevent it. and bur01014 your comments dont bother me I welcome help every one is entitled to there opinion. I just am tired of people talkin to others like there a child.Or without respect. and it is not just once or twice or three times apparently it is a issue and been ongoing for awhile.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
lucyloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:40pm
The thing that we remember is even experts have a differance of opinon, salt water is part art, part science. These are living creatures from the ocean. Not only do we not know everything about the ocean but we are taking these creatures from their natural home. If we are not careful more reefs will close down. Cry I think we all need to be a little more cautious.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Cherry Cherry wrote:

Funny how you guys can tell flow, temp, nutrients, or stability of a tank from a picture. You know what they say about assuming? That you make an ass of yourself. The coral isn't brown. It's a dark purple. All our other corals and fish are doing just fine. The other problems you mention are mostly about fish that I believe we bought sick because they died shortly after bringing them home. Mainly from one place.

I don't mind opinions from any one on here as long as they don't come off demeaning and belittling.

I hope the harsh remarks about "assumptions" wasn't toward myself.  I never assumed anything about your tank but simply suggested the mostly likely causes of RTNing SPS corals.  Furthermore, if a thread is created (help my corals aren't doing well) where pictures in the thread are included, people have to draw assumptions to a certain degree in order to give any type of suggestive advice.  In the forum world, this is just how life works.

In addition, in the SPS world a dark purple coral with that particular shade tends to be referred to as a coral that is "browned out"....it is just terminology.  For example, the pictures below. 

I would consider this SPS coral browned out, but it does look purple....

This is the same colony approximately 6 weeks later, starting to develop the appropriate color.  It still has a way to go....probably give it roughly 6 more weeks to peak at its maximum color.  In this example the SPS colony was browned out/dark purple due to excess nutrients.  Just an experimentation I have done in my tank. 

Is your particular colony browned out?  In my experience, yes....but, people may disagree.  But the real problem, the life of the coral, due to RTNing is the issue.  It sounds like you guys have it figured out and would prefer no other advice.   Its great other fish folk are able to go over to your home to help you out.  I wish I had the time and the wife that was that understanding ;).....

Good luck

Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:09am
I don't mind getting advice from anyone. I just think some peoples advice needs to be less harsh and demeaning.
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:15am
I took the piece to aquatic dreams and I know im gonna prolly get comments on this since it is a LFS. But from what I hear and see they have nice coral and take care of it. Ben gave me some pointers also and said it doesnt seem to rt'n and is very smooth for it to be bugs or worms at all.

Most the comments are in general. It could of already been doin this since I didnt know to look real good at the base since I also though the tips went white first. this is my first colony. some frags of sps I got have white at the bottom a little bit from superglue but still seem to crust over. so might have started doin this and the moving from down south to layton and all the changes might of sped up this process I dont know.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:29am
Let us know if it rapidly starts going downhill again or something and perhaps we could change up what your doing.  Hopefully it goes well....if it does, I think that colony will transform before your eyes and become quite colorful!  

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:33am
Bur -- Having seen this colony in person, if we can get it to recover it does have the potential to be a stunner. I agree with your above opinion on browning out. It seems to be my experience that with the smooth skin acros like Brett's and the one you posted they do look a purple color, where the milis, more polyp (just made up that term) acros, look brown. Great pics to make a great point.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:46am
i have to say that most of you have been too harsh on Mark. for everyone out there this is the FACT. even the experts that write the books and text books that we learn from are all based at least partly on assumtion!! and experince. everyone has a diffrent take on reef tanks, what works what dose not. if you dont want help dont ask, if you post something dont expect to always get the conclusion that you have come to. that is how you learn about new things. also i have to say Mark is right on the fact that if you rush a reef you will fail that is very well known. im sorry if this offends you but its my thoughts.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:53am
Well lets just say that most of us who posted about Mark have had "encounters" with him on this same level. I have been keeping fish for a long time and when I switched over to salt water I took advise from several different views. Yes I messed up a lot but Mark has a knack for belittling people and we are just the few who will speak up as no one else wants to deal with the backlash.
DC I have never met you but you seem to be a lot like Mark, I have read your comments time and time again giving advice that was not asked for and half the time not correct yet you still post what "you" think.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 1:07am
bstuver-isnt everyone posting what they think? i understand that Mark can be harsh at times but he does have valid points at times (some are very good). im saying i "think" because i dont want to offend people. but yet you, yourself turn around and say i give "advice that was not asked for and half the time not correct". i can think of only one that i posted that fits that but it is correct. it was about breeding fancy clownfish, i felt it was something a good reefer that cared about the overall long trem effect of the hobby would like to know.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 1:13am
No actually you posted on BNK's post when he needed an ID that a rock anemone was a paly. I have seen others as well but whatever I knew I should just stay out of this. Honestly about the only reason I come to this forum is to check out the classifieds. I'm thinking that I will just stick with a different club there is way too much high school drama here.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 1:29am
+1
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 2:32am
ok hold on now DC...How long have you been around on this board DC? I think it's been only like 30 days or so... I really don't think you know whats been going on here. 

I had problems with seahorses I got for Ashley and she tried and asked for help here. Mark did everything to make her fell bad because two of the seahorses died. He says some things he had no idea what he's talking about. He always wants to think everyone here that he didn't know is new to the hobby. Mark, you said "but it saddens me to see new hobbyists undertaking the complicated care of such a difficult animal. I would put a couple years of reef experience behind me before trying Seahorses" I started with my first tank that I still have 8 years ago. I been in the military, so I have moved a lot. I moved this fish tank 4 times and with each time being over 1000 miles. So this new hobbyists started with a 210g tank in San Diego and still have the same tank 8 years later....

Never mind I will just get to the point. Before you want to talk crap in front of everybody on the forum, get to know them. If you don't like what you see you tried to help out and let it be.
I know sometimes you think its sad but what can you do? This post in one day got 700 views.

Ashley was DONE with the club but ptronsp, bstuver, wicedsnowman, nick801, and Bnk all made things better and helped out Ashley with the seahorses. I said I was done with the club too and still talk about going to the other club but thanks to ptronsp, bstuver, wicedsnowman, nick801, and Bnk. Ashley said there are good people here and to stay.

Thanks ptronsp, bstuver, wicedsnowman, nick801, and Bnk

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 2:49am
What about me josh. Lol
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic