Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sps is turning white

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sps is turning white
    Posted: April 21 2011 at 10:29pm
at the base it is white just noticed it. should I frag it all or what?

Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 10:43pm
i would frag it and leave about 1/4" living tissue(if you can) to try to stop it. on the dieing part i mean.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 12:42am
Man that would be a pain to frag all those branches. I would watch it close and if its spreading frag it up. I have lost a few frags that I waited to long to cut up. I have also seen corals bleach in spots and grow back over it. So who knows.... Whats your tank params? maybe something is off

Edited by wickedsnowman - April 22 2011 at 12:45am
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:10am
is this the same tank that had the other corals RTNing?

What is your parameters...if they are all good, get new test kits....something is up with your tank....
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:12am
iron-0
nitrite-0
kh-160 mg/l
ph-8.3
phosphate-0.25 mg/l
cal-440
nitrate-20
ammonia-0
temp 87
salinity 1.026

my nitrate has been like that now for a week and ive done three water changes.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:15am
its my nitrates it seems that is the only thing off still
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:17am
Nitrates at 20 aren't high. Your tank temperature is pretty high IMO
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:18am
Do you have a mag test kit?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:20am
oops ment 78 lol sorry. no, no mag test
think i will take it to aquatic dreams tomorrow and have them retest everything
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:35am
Yea that's a better temp;) I would get your mag tested.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 8:48am
I don't know if this will help, but here goes. Disapprove

There is more to it than just those parameters. There are things we cannot test for. There are things that have to grow and develop so that other things can grow and develop. What are these things? I only know a few of them. Sponge is one and worms are another. That does not mean that sponge and worms just need to be thrown into the tank and that's it. It takes a long time for a certain balance of animal and algal populations to grow to make the tank stable enough to keep the more sensitive coral like SPS.

I don't know how else to describe it other than it's takes a long time to make it all work, especially for someone that has never done it before. I can't describe it but after years of doing it, I know one thing. It takes time. And going too fast, trying to buy and add all the stuff that older tanks have, means that a hobbyist is going to have things die. Sure, things die on me too, if I move faster than I should.

Sometimes I make mistakes and sometimes I add things too fast. I've learned this from my own experience and from seeing other hobbyists do exactly the same thing. It took billions of years for this earth to get to the point where everything worked right. It takes some time for an aquarium to be able to support all the coral we would like to place in it.

I'm sorry, maybe you don't want to hear this, but it's true nonetheless. If you want to stop this coral death, my advice is to slow down. Stop buying stuff. Let what you have settle in. It might save some of the SPS to take them to a tank that is a lot older, or it may be too late. They may already be too far gone. I'd be happy to take those SPS and babysit them until the tank has a little more time to mature. Or find another babysitter that knows how to keep SPS, I don't care. Just please stop killing all these animals.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 8:59am
And I've gotta say that putting your hand on that SPS colony caused even more damage. I'm sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but there is a lot about coral care that needs to be learned.
That coral was or is stressed and may be or was starving for food, oxygen and waste removal. That's why it turned white at the base. Unfortunately, a younger tank does not provide the food that SPS need and adding supplemental invert food is only partly helpful.

I could go further but I think I've said more than enough. Smile I do want you to know that I'm not mad at you and hope you'll not be mad at me. I'm just hoping you get the message that learning needs to come before doing.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 22 2011 at 10:02am
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:03am
I'm with Mark on this one, slow it down a bit.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:40am
I should be working but in an effort to help I'll add this.
Proper water flow is what provides food, oxygen and waste removal. SPS are so sensitive that sometimes the lack of flow during transport is all it takes to stress them to the point of death. In that case this same thing can happen to anyone, but in this particular case, with a younger tank and the negatives that come with a younger tank, the coral is placed into a no-win situation. Sorry.

I hope Snowsrfer can stop by and help. Smile
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:11pm
^^^agree slow it way down.....stick with one or two small starter SPS and see if they can thrive over the next 4-5 months.....then start with more advanced corals and larger colonies....

I have to continue to agree with Mark on all aspects.....it seems fish wise, coral wise, and tank wise you have a lot of posts about problems you are running into....slow it down, or you will continue to have such problems...

Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:34pm
This is going to be my last post in this forum. Like I said in one of my other posts, Marks way isn't right for everyone. What works for him may not work for us. I'm so tired of posting something on here and having Mark belittle me and my husband on posts. What I love about UMAS is that people private message instead of making you feel like a dumb ass on boards. I have seen that done by Mark in so many posts. He is going to scare away any new hobbyist that come here. That's my last two cents.
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:36pm
My 4 cents....he saved me from a lot of troubles....no need to have these precious animals we keep die if it is preventable.....continue what you do Mark...
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:41pm
snowsrfr came by and I am real thankful.
with that said. it is funny how many personalities are on this board and opinions.I get told on here by like 4 guys usually the same 4 that it is a new tank slow down. But then I get ones that I talk to at meetings,pm,that visit that everything looks,sounds,is good. When i got this tank from kody it was well established and like I said the move was fast and went well. used his rock,sand,and water. Things happen in the hobby sad to say fish and coral die some times with reason sometimes without. More people say my tank is established than ones that say aint. they just dont post because of certain peoples comments and get tired of hearing them. I wont name names and put them on blast like they like to do to others.There is a difference in bein helpful and pushing people away. Just like the private message I got a while back sayin he is angry or something I ignored it pretty much. But sad how many people I talk too are pushed away form this forum because of this.Kind of like a comment made with someone finding answers to a question on another forum and bein told well other forums are wrong or filled with noobs. Now dont get me wrong there are alot of good people and smart guys on this forum but come on get off you high horse. Well anyway thanx everyone even for the critisism. I have learned alot and got a long way to go. Oh and as for the sps we are thinking it was put to high up and I should of put it down lower.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:47pm
bur01014 I did start with some sps I got for free they are doin good. I got these small colonies on a kind of payback deal. I am moving coral around today since some of my placement is off a lil on some pieces.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 1:57pm
oh and as for the touching the coral.....ummm really? And how then do you place,frag,or do other things with the coral? I dont have Telekinesis. And maybe you just didnt notice before sayin what you did it is still in the tank under the water when I took that pic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic