Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help my baby is dieing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help my baby is dieing
    Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:52am
Cry... I bought 3 very small banggai cardinals last night and one got sucked down the over flow Angry.  I looked everywhere for him this morning, he's still alive but won't swim around.  I think he's in shock very bad. I don't know what to do Dead
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 11:02am
I got a hang on container you can barrow to lessen the flow and keep a better eye on them
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 11:09am
He passed away Angry.  This sucks!  I'm putting lace over the slits in the over flow so the other two won't get sucked down.  One of them keeps going right in front of it and I've tried scaring him to the other side of the tank but he won't go...  Hopefully the lace will work.  I had second thought of getting these because they were so small but I didn't think they were so small they would go down the over flow...  Lesson learned.   
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 11:18am
Ive had big fish go down the overflow. The smaller the fish especially babies need very low flow.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 11:31am
I had the same thing happen to a couple of my fish. The first one was my sea horse and I lost him. The other two didn't go down the tubes but stayed in the over flow. Luckily my husband was able to fish them out with the net. I would have been very upset if I lost my pearly jaw fish and yellow clown goby. I'm sorry for your loss.

Please let me know how the lace goes.. I was thinking of putting something over mine as well.

Edited by Kristine Woolsey - April 23 2011 at 11:32am
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:26pm
I use the plastic rain gutter guard, zip tied to the slots on the overflow. The only thing that has gone down the over flow is baby snails.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 1:25pm
So far the lace stuff has worked really good.  I don't have anything else in the tank except for some snails and some small soft corals.  I thought I just killed another one though.  My tank was pretty hot last night "80.7" so I bought a clip on fan and when I was hooking it up the cord passed by one of the fish.  He freaked out and I'm not sure if he knocked himself out or just went into shock but he went belly up like he was dead for 30 sec or so.  After he floated around a little bit he came back around and started swimming normally again Shocked.  Man, having baby fish is a lot more stressful than I thought it was going to be...  They have ate a little but I'm worried because the tank is so big that they won't find enough food, they only eat what goes right next to them.  Any thoughts?  I thought about getting that hanging container but I'm not sure I could catch them to put them in it.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 2:34pm
Oh I am so sorry~ that does suck when stuff like that happens. It makes you feel so bad. I am glad you figured out the problem and are trying to prevent the others from doing the same thing.
 Head up.. lesson learned don't beat yourself up for it. You have two other babies that are alive and well Tongue
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 3:00pm
If they are eating a little that is a good sign. Give them a few days to settle  in and they should start eating more aggressively. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 3:08pm
I have the stuff you can get at craft stores over the section of my overflow. Its for needle work and is a heavier plastic with holes and comes in lots of colors including black. I had two of my clowns take a ride down mine lol.

Edited by bstuver - April 23 2011 at 3:09pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 3:17pm
Please use the needle work plastic or the gutter plastic. (which I use) The lace will load up with waste and algae and you could have a potential over flow issue.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 5:52pm
I used some stuff it sounds like bstuver used. It looks like netting but much smaller.  I had to line the box and zip tie it through the holes because they are so small they swim right through the holes but now one of them is just laying on the bottom of the box, he's still breathing but he's not moving much.  I hope its because he just tired Unhappy.  The other one was acting the same way earlier but he seems to be swimming better.  I've done all I can do for now, I just hope they make it through the night.  They aren't eating either, I've been trying small bits of everything.  
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:00pm
Frozen cyclopeaze and baby brine. Depending on the size that is what they will eat. They shouldn't have been sold till they are about 4 months old and eating frozen. Most will not eat flake or pellets.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:03pm
They were eating frozen when I bought them. I got them to each some Pods last night. Not sure why they stopped eating though.
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 12:13pm
There was good and bad news, I lost another one last night but the last one seems to be doing fairly well.  He has been eating a little, somehow he got out of the box last night, I'm still not sure how but he's doing ok now.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 4:26pm
I let Bangaii babies loose in the Refugium, where there was some good eating and also fed them BBS and Cyclops just like Dion.

Transferring babies to a new aquarium is very risky. I agree with Dion that older babies are better able to handle the change of water and environment.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 8:52am
Well, I have good news.  The survivor is doing very good, he's eating like crazy and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of stress.  I fed him so copapods last night and this morning and he is doing really good.  When I get home from work I'm going to try and see if he will eat some frozen brine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic