Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

so it starts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: so it starts!
    Posted: April 24 2011 at 12:50pm
i know it may not look like alot but i am gonna love this thing !!!!!

i will try to keep this as up to speed and all that jazz as i get goin, but for now here is a pic of the new tank that i picked up!!

i still have yet to buff this thing out, and all that crap, but i will get that stared when i get the stand built!

that shoule be done today! as one can only hope! you know what i mean!
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 1:46pm
nice, look forward to the progress
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 2:21pm
Cool looking tank
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 9:50pm
so here is my crappy attempt at making a stand for this corner tank, i think it does not look good at all, and then i screwed up and relized that i have no idea what i am goin to do for a sump, i can only fit a 20 gallon tank down there! anyone had any ideas i would be greatfull, and this has to be done at little to no expense becuase we are really tight on money right now!

Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 8:27pm
Looks like a fun project. Is it your first tank build? There are a couple of things you always want to consider when installing a tank. First: where is your power source for pumps, lights, etc.? Second, will you be hooking it up to an R/O system, or some kind of auto top-off bucket (trust me, you'll want something to top it off so you don't have to every few hours)? Third: what kind of livestock do you plan to keep? Circulation, filtration, and lighting needs will all be determined by livestock. Fourth: obviously you have to weight all those things against your budget, and figure out a strategy to accomplish them within your budget.

As far as the sump goes, a typical 20G tank would probably work fine. It will have enough space for a skimmer and a refugium (we can talk details later). The other option is to build a custom shaped sump, most likely from acrylic. That would be more expensive, but if you're interested in that I would talk to "tcfab".

As for the stand, I would definitely put columns on both front corners because once you put water in that thing it'll need support in the front. Definitely make sure it's as level as possible.

I'm sure others will have plenty to say to help you through the process.
90G Mixed Reef
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 8:41pm
Definitely more support in the front. One thing I have found out is leave enough room between the wall and the tank to get your entire arm in!! For some unknow reason as soon as the tank is filled you'll need access to that area!
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 9:03pm
How many gallons is that tank? It's a beauty. Support up front. You can do this on a shoestring budget. Might not look as good as you want it, but nickel and dime it over time till you are happy. It looks like you have a good start. 
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 12:44am
update
without water and weight in it,

with the supports, and the water, no leaks!

Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:20pm
here is your next update,

loving life! still have stuff to work on but anyways here you all go!
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:29pm
looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm curious why you re-oriented the sump differently from how you had it before. is that a calc reactor or a de-nitrator back there?
90G Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Deluxe247 Deluxe247 wrote:

looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm curious why you re-oriented the sump differently from how you had it before. is that a calc reactor or a de-nitrator back there?

it is moved becuase it is a diff tank, from the other one! that is the sump out of my 72 bow front, i just drug it over and put it there becuase i needed a live sump and did not have a tank to use on the other one, my wife did not want me to use the 37 tall tank that i had under there, but that is ok i can deal with it, the reactor is for my carbon, and phosguard....
but
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic