Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INTRODUCE YOURSELF
    Posted: April 27 2011 at 2:23pm
Please tell us all about you. We're excited to make new friends in the hobby.  Share with us a little about you and your tanks, and why it is that you love saltwater.

Also, once you create a topic (and this actually applies to all threads on the forums) you can share it on facebook, like it, or even tweet it!  Share the love (of marine life)!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 9:50pm
The other day I gave some quick and simple advice to a hobbyist. He evidently knew nothing of my experience in this hobby because instead he went to a LFS and followed their advice. Thus he spent many wasted hours on his tank and jeopardized the health of his entire aquarium. This has brought to my attention the need for people to realize the valuable advice that is available from the "old timers" and some others that may not be such old timers, but have become knowledgable in this hobby in a relatively short time.

New hobbyists would be wise to realize the wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from the infinitely knowledgeable hobbyists of this forum.

For the benefit of all the hobbyists that come to this forum, I would like to introduce Adam and also ask him to add more and correct my failing memory. Smile

Clap Adam has been at this hobby since around 1996 when, as a High School student, he would come to my house often to see my 3 year old reef aquarium. (He lived just a few blocks away.) He formed many clubs during his time at Viewmont HS.
Adam went on to receive Bachelors and Masters Degrees with majors in marine science fields. He was my Vice President in the WMAS during 2000 and 2001 and has been serving very actively in the WMAS ever since, four or five years of that time as club President.
Adam always helps keep things moving. He currently works in marine science doing research and publishing awesome articles in many marine hobby and scientific periodicals. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:20pm
That sums it up well.LOL
But I'll add we do have some great local stores... and I often ask them for advise.  You'll be surprised and what you can learn from them to add to your library of ideas.

Adam
sodak89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodak89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 6:29pm
Hello everyone i am jeremy i moved to utah in 2009 from south dakota. I enjoy being outdoors and pretty much everything to do with it.  I just started my first saltwater tank a couple days ago. I have always want to start one just didnt know where to start. One of my buddies helped me out and i got one started. I have a 28 gallon nano cube for right now to see how i like it so far its going good i found a couple snails and a couple crab in my live rock. just waiting for it to cycle so i can get my first livestock.
sodak89
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:41am
Welcome Jeremy! Glad to you have here!(Always glad to have another Jeremy on board) Great place and lots to learn here.

Edited by disneymania - May 01 2011 at 10:42am
BCA MAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCA MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 8:28pm

WELL, IM NOT NEW TO THE HOBBY BUT FINALLY HAVE A PLACE TO RESET MY 55 GALLON REEF. I VIEW THIS FORM ENOUGH I FIGURED IT WOULDN'T HURT TO JOIN IN ONCE IN A WHILE ON A CONVERSATION. HOPING TO GET TO A MEETING OR TWO THIS SUMMER IF TIME WORKS OUT BETWEEN WORK AND SCHOOL. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVISE! BRYAN

55 Gallon Display
20 Gallon Home Made Sump
Why Not DIY?
jen! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jen! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:03pm
I've been the true epitome of a lurker. :)

25 posts since 2007!  w00t!

I'll be posting up an introduction for you all!
90 gallons of nerdness.
paul84043 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul84043 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:52pm
Hello all, I'm not new to fish, but I am new to saltwater.  We recently "won" some free feeder goldfish at the American Fork Fair....  That little suare ended up costing me about $600 and we ended up with one small tank for the crappy goldfish, and a 56 gallon tank in our front room with an assortment of semi-aggressive tropicals.
Well, as it happens this has all led to my wife reminding me that she has "always" wanted a saltwater tank and now I have a 75 gallon tank, biowheel, powerhead, and two 150w heaters sitting on the bedroom floor.
SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) wants me to build it into a wall.  We have a decent spot to do it, it's in the basement, (it's a walkout, so not really a basement), between our bedroom and my computer nook.  The size and weight are not an issue.  The time and finished product are....  I'm pretty handy, but don't want this ending up looking stupid.
The other option is freestanding in another location pretty close to this other spot.
So my Hello, and my question is... what next?
We're starting with a fish/live rock tank and I know that initial setup is going to take at least several months.  A reef would be down the road quite a bit. 
I have researched setup alot, but want to get opinions on the whole thing from people that have probaby seen it/been through it.
The built in issue is that the wall is just a non load bearing 2x4 wall so the tank would be protruding out each side (with a supporting base of course).  My brain has issues with how this is going to look.. I think offset, she thinks centered.  The other option would be protruding on three sides.
The other issues are: everything else...
What would you do, and why?
Store bought startup culture (ie...live someting or other) to get things rolling.  Sand? Gravel? How muh salt?, what brand?
Pointers to some good threads, websites, and personal input would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Tanks.  (ha, ha....get it?)

Paul.

Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall not be dissappointed
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:40am
This is a shout out to Mark for the time and knowledge he gave to me. Early morn call from him and the many links he post for the "newbies" as i will be for a long tie to come is greatly appreciated!!!!! To those who are newer than i ask many questions and irritate the elderly "aka experienced" they always help even when our wealth of knowledge is in the shallow end of the salt pool !!! "aka tide went out and waiting for it to come in "
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

This is a shout out to Mark for the time and knowledge he gave to me. Early morn call from him and the many links he post for the "newbies" as i will be for a long tie to come is greatly appreciated!!!!! To those who are newer than i ask many questions and irritate the elderly "aka experienced" they always help even when our wealth of knowledge is in the shallow end of the salt pool !!! "aka tide went out and waiting for it to come in "

Everyone here is super helpful! Clap  No matter the experience level. 

I have never actually introduced myself either. 

My name is Jared and have been into fish for a long time.  Always kept fresh water as I was always afraid of the expense of salt water.  But decided to take the plunge in July of this year.  I have not second guessed this adventure yet and have enjoyed the time that I have spent with everyone that I have had the chance to meet.  The wealth of knowledge here is amazing!  I do not think that there has been a day since I have been doing that I have not learned something new.

Outside of fish I am a youth counselor at a residential treatment center.  I have been working with at risk and troubled youth for about 7 years or so.  Although not the cash cow that I had always hoped for in life, but the internal rewards are what drives me to continue doing what I do.  I honestly can not see myself doing anything else with my life. Well other then going back to school and actually becoming a therapist or social worker. Smile
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 2:33am
My name is Kurt, im a maintenance mechanic....journeyman electrician and i can make most things. When it comes to lighting i will buy  or fab my own depending on what i need. Seems most diy for specific so i will follow when i decide whats best for my app.but for now a sizing and recommends for return pump, skimmer ,sump and refugium would be appreciated. But im not gonna throw the switch so any volunteers will let em do it to see if i get sparks lol

Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 7:36am
welcome to the addiction
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Kristine Woolsey Kristine Woolsey wrote:

welcome to the addiction

This is worse then drugs and probably more expensive lol
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 9:38pm
My name is PJ, and I've had a saltwater tank for a couple years now. I bought my first tank (a 65 gal) in 2008, and haven't looked back since.   I've always been interested in the tropics, and truly feel like I was born in the wrong country!   I never considered keeping fish until a friend gave me a freshwater tank. I liked the idea of a planted tank, and after much research I ended up in lfs Aquatic Dreams looking for a light for a planted tank.   I was amazed by what I saw, and soon convinced my wife that salt water was worth the plunge.   I had my 65 gal up until about a year ago, when I placed my house up for sale.   I downsized to a rsm 130 to make the house look bigger and to make the move easier.   I still have the rsm (living with family while we remodel our new house).    I am looking to upgrade once we move into our house.   I like the deep dimension tanks, and hope to end up with one of those.   
You can see my house remodel here www.eclecticvictorian.com

I work with Jared (quickness) at a residential treatment center for troubled youth.   I am an Outdoor Educator, which basically means I teach all forms of recreation to these kids, everything from whitewater rafting to rock climbing to alpine skiing and camping.   It really is the most amazing job set up ever! I am ruined for "grown up" work, and can think of nothing worse than being in an office.   I also enjoy doing graphic design, and if you have seen Aquatic Dreams brochure, I designed that, and my wife and I took the photos.   
I am a big fan of the knowledge to be had on this forum, and it definitely has helped keep me in the hobby.
Cheers,
PJ
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 11:19am
Hello everyone,

I'm Mark Peterson. I helped start the WMAS back in March 1995. I have been very involved in the club ever since. I always loved nature, keeping aquariums practically all my life, starting in Biology in college (ended up somewhere else Wink) and starting my first reef tank in 1993. I've been here so long and have written so much that I'm not sure about an introduction. Perhaps an explanation or even an apology would be better.Embarrassed

Recent posts here, and some not so recent posts, however, deserve attention.

First of all, to Akira, You are very welcome. I'm glad to have helped you a little that day and happy to see you posting on the forum and learning more about this wonderful hobby.

Next an apology to Paul84043. Your one and only post, from back in July, seems to have gone unanswered. I just looked up your phone number and will give you a call here in a minute.

Lastly, I want to say thank you to all my fishy friends and fellow hobbyists. Every person who has ever posted here has helped me in some way. Some have been my friends in this hobby for so long that I now consider them my friends first and fellow hobbyists second.  To all of you I say,
       Hug THANKS Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PLJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:10am
Hello,
My name is Pete and my wife Lindy and I have gotten back into the hobby in June of this year after a 6 year break.  We started in 1999 with a 55g, went through several tanks until we ended up with a 280g mixed reef for several years in California.  When we moved to Southern Utah could not move it and have missed our passion ever since.  In June we started a 145g Oceanic Glass half round tank.  MAN HAVE THINGS CHANGED IN 6 YEARS!!!  This looks like a great place to be to get information and support to bring us current and seems like a lot of nuts for the hobby just like us!  Out 9 year old son is hooked and reads more fish / reef books than school books, he has helped us plan things out as well and will probably post some of his questions through us (he has some great ones!)

Look forward to talking with all of you on the posts and knowing how many are in the St. George / Washington area?

For any Presidency members, I paid (you get used to it in this hobby, and you all do great work!) but guess I missed the instructions...  It made me create my forum name again, not sure how that posts / works?  I put this Forum name when I paid, but???  Any help on that would be great.

Thanks all.

Pete & Lindy
145 Gallon Half Round Mixed Reef
2x250 MH
Marineland 36" LED
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:49am
Welcome PLJ.  Glad to have you back in the club.  You have found a great place to meet new friends and get advice.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Pete1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 12:01pm
Hello, my name is Mike Petersen.  I just bought a Biocube 29 HQI and am brand new to the hobby.  I plan on starting slow and making a bunch of mistakes I'm sure.  I work from home as an Account Manager and have lived in Alaska, Washington and Arizona.  I now live in Herriman and will be posting pics of my new set up, wish me luck!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 5:40pm
We'll see you tomorrow.... right???

www.MountainWestReefFest.com
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 12:12pm
Hi all!  I am Mandy Poulsen. My husband -Mike- and I are both huge aquarium lovers.  I have had small freshwater aquariums in my time - but ultimately Mike and I have wanted to have one (or LOTS more) saltwater tanks in our home.  We now have about 4 or 5 tanks in ranging sizes sitting empty along with several pieces of equipment as well.  We WANT to start reef keeping, but are unsure where to start.  Thats were this club came into play!  :)  We were online searching "Dr. Google" as I like to call it and came across the website.  Both being very big advocates for the aquarium hobby, we decided to become members and my hope is to learn enough I can get the 40 gal tank started and watch it come to life.  Once feeling comfortable I plan on creating our 65 gal, 125 gal, 10 gal, and 30 gal all into happy tanks as well.  But - one step at a time! :)
I'm definitely needing help from the club.  I have NO idea where to start - having asked a few friends that 'dabble' in the hobby, I've gotten stone-walled by them. :(  Being told to go to a LFS and have someone else set it up for me.  My problem.... I want to do it MYSELF so I know WHAT I'm doing and WHY.  
Here's hoping to get loads of feedback and some items to share within the club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic