Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by mikenmandymoo mikenmandymoo wrote:

Hi all!  I am Mandy Poulsen. My husband -Mike- and I are both huge aquarium lovers.  I have had small freshwater aquariums in my time - but ultimately Mike and I have wanted to have one (or LOTS more) saltwater tanks in our home.  We now have about 4 or 5 tanks in ranging sizes sitting empty along with several pieces of equipment as well.  We WANT to start reef keeping, but are unsure where to start.  Thats were this club came into play!  :)  We were online searching "Dr. Google" as I like to call it and came across the website.  Both being very big advocates for the aquarium hobby, we decided to become members and my hope is to learn enough I can get the 40 gal tank started and watch it come to life.  Once feeling comfortable I plan on creating our 65 gal, 125 gal, 10 gal, and 30 gal all into happy tanks as well.  But - one step at a time! :)
I'm definitely needing help from the club.  I have NO idea where to start - having asked a few friends that 'dabble' in the hobby, I've gotten stone-walled by them. :(  Being told to go to a LFS and have someone else set it up for me.  My problem.... I want to do it MYSELF so I know WHAT I'm doing and WHY.  
Here's hoping to get loads of feedback and some items to share within the club.
Welcome.  I am pretty new to salt water my self.  I do live in roy also.  You are welcome to come by and check out my tank and bs.  I am also happy to give you some seed sand and water when you are ready to set up your tank.  If you wanted to to do some reading look under the general tab and the first 2nd sticky there is a good place to start.   
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 1:26pm
Thnx!!  I am going to do some reading prior to starting, but knowing there is someone close for questions & some starter material is nice.  You can count on hearing from me soon. :)

GreeceLover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreeceLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 6:34pm
So I am completey new to this, I haven't had a fish tank since I was a kid (that was a while ago) and that was freshwater.  Growing up in Southern California I was always drawn to the ocean, and then joining the Navy took me into it.  Before I moved to Utah I got into scuba diving and found out it's out of this world.  I've been wanting a saltwater setup for a while now and about 3 weeks ago I finally dove in, I bought a 90 gallon set up that's been extablished for a couple years and it's a perfect blank canvas.  Going to the Reef Fest this past weekend was the best thing I could have done for myself, I learned a lot and am now ready to make this fun.  And plus I joined this awesome club (from what everyone says).
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:34am
Welcome to Mike and Mandy and to you as Well Greecelover! The Reef Fest was the best thing you did! And yes this is the best club ever! Dont hesitate to ask questions! lets see this 90 gallon tank of yours ! PICTURES!!!!!

Glade to have you both here!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 2:44pm
Glad to have you here.  Be sure to catch the December meeting and soak up the aquatic love.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
deejayk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejayk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 8:48pm
Hey everyone. I have wanted to get involved with fish for years and finally made the move. I am extremely excited to be part of this. I was at the meeting last week and decided to join the club. I just added my corals to my first tank today and am excited to see what i can do with it. If anyone has any advice i am open to any suggestions. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 9:36pm
Welcome deejayk
See tips below
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 11:20pm
Welcome to all and best advice i can give is read read read ev post here and if u have questions ask ......all here are great at responding to our questions 

ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 4:45am
Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum, and just got a tank set up after not doing it for about 5 years. Hoping to be able to meet some people and maybe trade some things (frags), get some ideas and have some fun! I currently have a 180g reef with 60 sump though 1/3 is converted to a refugium,  most of the mini bells and whistles, ASM G2, turbo twist 18w, Mag 12 return, 3 power heads need a 4th. Look forward to talking with everyone. Will put up a pic of the new tank, though I have a bunch more fish now and the powder blue is dead....will try and take another one..Would love to hear what you all think any suggestions are welcome.  Love all things about the ocean I am a certified Diver and can't think of a better way to spend my time.

Edited by ReefKeeper78 - January 23 2012 at 4:54am
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 3:00pm
Welcome! Nice tank:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 7:00am
Hey! My name is Faith, I go by Hydro Phoenix b/c that is the name I got when I started diving. Anywho, I'm originally from CT and moved to SLC when I was 22. I grew up on the shore so naturally I have a tank. I started in the hobby 2 yrs ago when I asked my husband what he wanted for Valentines Day, he said an anemone. So the next day I started burning up the card! He was livid but I was blissed out. I came across this club when a man chatted with me one day as I was eyeing a gorgonian down at a fish store that is now exclusively Ciclids(sp?) In Draper by Pirate O's. He said I should check it out. So I googled it, and now I can't get enough of it, or the people.Embarrassed I am currently in school trying for my Assoc in Bio. And I'm doing well so far. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
ztuhcsnegob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztuhcsnegob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 5:58pm
I am brand new to the salt water world. I have kept fresh water fish tanks with my dad since I was little and own 2 gold fish currently. :) I just bought a 12 gallon eclipse tank to start off small and see if I like it or not. I am making the change to salt water because the fish are more lively, more colorful, and seems like a lot more fun.
Life is good
Calli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:46am
Star Hello everyone my name is Calli I am new to the the club, but have been loving this sport for about 5 years now.  About a year ago we decided to spend our childrens inheritance to remove a wall and install a beautiful 220 gallon reef tank.  Life was good my tank was thriving with happy fish, beautiful colorful corals, and different virtabrates that I just loved!  I was sick when my tank crashed and have learned a lot this last year as I have had to basically start over.  The computer is new to me, I just DO NOT like it!  What happen to just picking up the phone??  I have found 1 store in Bountiful (Mountain Shadow Marine) that has had the knowledge and experience to help me.  The owner (Randy) has been good enough to come to my home and they babysit my fish for me in the summer, but other than Bird World I know of nothing else my way.  Any suggestions of stores in Davis County you trust?  Thanks! 
Kris
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 2:18pm
Welcome Calli!
Lots of great stores around, and great tanks to see. Just here in Bountiful, West Bountiful, North Salt Lake, Centerville and Farmington you'll find dozens of club members.
I'd put April 22nd down on your calendar and be ready to see some great tanks.

Nice to have you here.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Gary K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 3:59pm
Hi, I'm Gary Kovacs. I got started in salt water in the early 1970's. I was mailed some salt and two live seahorses. I don't remember any instructions. Guess how well that turned out.Cry 

My first real salt tank was one that I set-up in my store, Fins-Feathers-N-Fur.
With the help of many hobbyists, and an experienced employee, things went well.

Along with Bryce Wilson, I owned Pet Planet.

I worked for Timpview Analytical Laboratories for 7 years, where I did environmental testing. Following that, I set-up the Laboratory for Tooele City's water treatment plant .

I currently have a 54 gal. corner tank, an empty 54 gal. corner tank which I am planning to use as a sump/refugium. Also, a twenty gal. tank, a 12 gal. Nanocube ( quarantine tank ), and a 5 gal. that I'm using to try to get some snails to reproduce.

I am currently unemployed, and am cleaning/maintaining tanks for extra income. If you are too busy to do your own, or know someone who needs help, please call me at 801-944-5523

Joyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 9:30pm
Hi,

My name is Joyce Anderson.  I am a teacher in a school district in the Salt Lake Valley.  My husband and I purchased our first reef aquarium in November.  We had had a great time learning about this incredible hobby.  We have lost a few life forms along the way but have had a great deal of success as well.  I love marine life and always wanted to dive.  I got my wish about 7 years ago when I learned to scuba dive.  My other desire was to own a saltwater aquarium.  I love to read, spend time with my family, travel, scrapbook (when I have time).  I have a concern about my aquarium which I hope someone will be able to help me with. I will post my concern in another area in the forum.  
wchris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 6:41pm
Well hello there! I would like to drop by and say Hi. I am new to the forum though have been lurking around for quite a long time already.  Having been in the interest and inclination toward the outdoors, it was a great idea to actually bring the love for it at the confines of my home.

Now I have a lot of aquarium setups.  And I am hoping to expand my collection and do more things with it.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:00pm
Most hobbyist here are always willing to open their homes and let you look and ask all the questions you would like . I have seen many great set ups and have gained so much knowledge in this hobby . I still consider myself a rookie with enough knowledge to be dangerous to my self . LOL  But any are always welcome to see what I have and talk salt ...
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 4:22pm
Hey everybody, Im Justin. I moved here to Utah in December and got married about 2 weeks ago. I had a Salt water tank set up in my room before i left for my mission to Peru, I got home to all my equipment stuffed into boxes in my closet. SO i brought it all up here with me, my wife is now begging me to setup a Seahorse tank. I am reallyt excited i found this forum.
Justin W.

reefdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:59pm
Hey guys I just wanted to say hi and hope to contribute as well as gain information from this forum! Hope everyones tanks are doing well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic