Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 4:07pm
Welcome Eric!

JaceTheAce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaceTheAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 8:48pm
Hi all! My name is Jason and my wife and I moved to SLC from Cincinnati in June. Because of the move, I had to get rid of my old biocube but I hope to get a new reef tank up and running soon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 9:07pm
Welcome Jason!

Igotatank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igotatank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 2:48pm
I had 125 gallon reef. Now I'm working on a 33 long and 20 long

T- Holk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T- Holk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 2:18am
Adam and other fish lovers, I'm glad to be back.  YEARS ago I had a 125 reef tank, but my TV went out, and the wife made me sell it so my kids could watch Sponge Bob :-)

Now I am back and I'm setting up a little Fluval 12 gal tank in my kitchen for the fam... OK... ME!

It is just starting to cycle and I hope to be putting a fish in it on Christmas for the kids when they wake up.  I currently just have stock stuff that it came with in there, but someday want to figure out a better lighting system so I can add coral.  I have about 6 pounds of live rock right now and also have live sand, so we'll see how things go these next few weeks.

Been out of it awhile,,, any advice?  Know anyone who has live rock they want to help a brother out as cheap as possible - Looking to add another 6 pounds...

Glad to be back - There is nothing like salt water fish tanks... And where it's going in my living room is RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING on the island counter top in between the kitchen and living room... Should be sweet!

Still getting used to this website, but from what I remember, THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
-Geddy Lee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 5:45am
Welcome back!

Watch the Aquarium Related Classified section there is live rock for sale there all the time.

Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 10:48pm
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to say hi real quick....been in the hobby for only a few months, but have met some really great people that have been a ton of help. 
I got a RSM 250, bunch of live rock, a few corals and some fish...looking forward to all that the community has to offer
RSM 250

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 6:03am
Welcome Cowan!

Maybe you can make it to our meeting Thursday (directions should be on the home page) It is a Fragstock with 12 coral vendors and some great deals!

akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 5:06am
Hi my name is Aaron

I have actually known about you guys for a long time. My dad and younger brother were big into reef tanks about 10 years ago and I use to go along with them on the reef tours you guys have. I have even come here to look at pictures and stuff but never registered and never been real serious about my tanks in the past. 

That all changed recently when I pulled my old ehiem glass aquarium out of the closet and cleaned it up. I looked at it for a while then made the mistake of putting water in it... Its small but in the past month I have upgraded the light fixture twice. Ordered my first ever canister filter and about 800 dollars of other junk. I am even in the process of a DIY swing arm LED hanger for the new fixture I got coming. 

The best decision I have made so far was taking the girlfriend/future wife up to bird world and getting her to pick out a coral. She picked a cool hammer coral and now I can pretty much do or buy whatever I can afford, as long as we go back and get one of those "cute" clams she saw in there. Im not trying to pimp a store, I just live by the capitol so its close. 

I am really wanting to move away from the LFS and get into a community where I can buy, and maybe someday, sell cool things, especially frags, with regular people. (plus I really don't want a tank full of pale purple, tan, and green livestock, so that eliminates most local stores) I'm hoping that is what this group is about. I would love to go to meetings and meet peeps and have somewhere to go to get 3 pounds of live sand and not a 15 lb bag that I'm never going to use. At the very lease I would rather give coral frags away that I no longer want, to people that I know, than take them to a pet store and have them try to tell me how worthless they are and offer me peanuts just to go back a few days later and they want 80$ for my "I get those in all the time, average looking frag" that I had to buy off of ebay because I can't find anything like that here in Utah. OK, rant over. sorry.  

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know you guys and grow my tank.  Smile

Edited by akv123 - July 17 2014 at 5:18am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 6:58am

Looking forward to meeting you, again.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 7:24am
I remember the Vandermeyden's!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 7:42am
Thanks guys. I was wondering if they were part of this group or if they just knew a bunch a people because they were always buying stuff. Neither of them have tanks anymore. 

Jared, the younger brother, had a 165gal? tank while he lived with my dad and down in Lehi for a while but he sold it when he went to dental school. He just barely graduated 18 months ago and took a job in Texas. My pops, Kim, had a 155gal? that he kinda let go to ruin after my brother moved out forever ago. He is really big into birds and ponds now. He is installing a diesel radiator on the roof of his house as a solar water heater so he can keep his pond plants going longer in the season and start them sooner next year. and Im just the other son that never had a tank over 30 gallons but I will be out of school in 9 months and am looking to transition from a tiny aquarium in my apartment to a semi serious frag machine tank when I get a house. 
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 8:06am
Nice strategy with the LFS! My wife also wants a "cute blue clam."
elden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:22am
"hey guys...
i am new comer here so let welcome me...
i am just looking for some interesting things and i am pretty much sure that here i will get them... share some interesting things with me........"

Laptop Screen replacement

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:49am
Aloha Elden,

Here are some interesting things I can share with you.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Welcome to our group
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:27am
LOL Mark, didn't even read that intro did you ?  ;)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 8:51pm
LOL
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 3:49pm
Just wanted to say hello again.   My tank was taken down several month ago because I was planning to leave Utah.  Plans changed so I will be here at least another year.  I'm anxious to get back into the hobby and get the tank put up again. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 3:53pm
That's cool!Thumbs Up

wkwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 12:09pm
Hello everyone, my name is Wenson and I am a new hobbyist in the Salt Lake area. I have been keeping freshwater fish for years but only recently got into the salt water side. I currently have three tanks set up, a 55 gallon cichlid tank, a small 24 gallon coral nanocube, and a new 120 gallon tank that I plan to do a mixed reef in. The largest tank is in the final stages of cycling which is why I am joining the forum as I expect I will need to lean heavily on all of your expertise when it comes to filling and maintaining it. Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.

More about myself, I am 25 years old and currently happily engaged. So far the fiancee is supportive of my hobby as long as I keep everything well maintained and looking clean. I try to do as much research as I can on anything I add to my system and love DIY projects that let me personalize my tanks. I am always happy to help out as well so if you need help, feel free to ask. I am new to forums so if I step out of line, please let me know.

On a final note, I am setting up the refugium for my 120 gallon so if anyone has some spare trimmings of macro algae that you don't need, please let me know. Happy to travel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic