Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tank- Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tank- Suggestions
    Posted: May 01 2011 at 4:19pm
I am looking for some suggestions on a few items for my new tank.  It is a 60gal cube.  I am trying to decide if I want to do a calcium reactor, ozone, and uv.  What are some recommendations on ones for this size tank?  Thanks!

Edited by rfoote - May 01 2011 at 4:20pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 4:41pm
Hey Ryan,
You have used one or more of these before, right?
Ozone and UV Sterilizer are both useful, but not necessary nor recommended together.
Ca Reactor is only needed after coral have grown to a point where supplements and water changes are not keeping up or are too much of a hassle.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 4:57pm
Hi Mark - thanks for the info.  I have used both UV and Ozone individaully before, but never a Kalk Reactor.  I will be transferring all rock and coral from my existing tank.  As good as my intentions are I am too inconsistent to add calcium and buffer on my own.(supplements in general, other than I religiously do weekly water changes)  Hence, the desire to automate as much as I can.

Also, any plumbers on the board?  I also want to move over the autotop off from my current system.  Issue is I won't have room in this stand for holding water and no nearby water...   
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 5:53pm
If it were me I would go with a kalk reactor before a calcium reactor. The calcium reactor lowers ph, while the kalk reactor raises ph. Both give a perfect balance of calcium and alkalinity. Since it is harder to keep ph up than low, I would recommend kalk. Some people use both because they need the calcium reactor but the ph drops too much so use the kalk to counter this. Kalk is a ton cheaper too. I have a heavily socked 350g system and it keeps up with my demands. However some people's tanks do require more than the kalk can deliver, and imo this is when you need the calcium reactor in addition to kalk.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 5:59pm
almost forgot what the topic was...if you enjoy coral more and your fish stay healthy on their own, get a kalk reactor. If you live fish and have a hard time keeping them disease free, get ozone or uv. They both have similar benefits of fish health. I've only had uv and it works good, but I've heard ozone is the most effective. It also can pay toll on your equipment, weakening plastics and rubber.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 6:14pm
My bad, definitely want to go Kalk Reactor.   Any suggestions on brands, model for it and a UV Sterilizer.  Not sold I'll go with UV again yet.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 9:27am

Ok, I think I have decided to build a custom cabinet to go next to the stand that will house the ATO Water.  I'll just drag up a hose and pump up 10g. of water every week or so. 

How about suggestions on brand/models of a Kalk Stirrer and UV Sterilizer?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 9:47am
For a UV I'd recommend the Coralife Turbo-twist. They're awesome.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic