Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heading to Hill AFB very soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading to Hill AFB very soon!
    Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

I'll probably get some people mad at me for saying this, but "Reef" RO/DI systems aren't really at all specialized to "reefs".  They're just RO/DI systems that are sold by aquarium companies and marketed with the "reef" description.  You can buy the filters/membranes anywhere.  RO/DI systems are used in all sorts of industries, and in some industries, the prices are less expensive.

You'll never make me mad saying that certain products are marketed at higher prices just by putting a label on them that they are for reef aquariums.  It is no secret that reefkeepers are made of moneyWink.  When I was setting up my tank initially I bought some 100% silicone to help seal up any potential leaky areas in my plumbing.  It turns out that a big cartridge of it at Home Depot costs just a few dollars, but if you buy a small tube that is labeled as aquarium sealant, it will cost you triple.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 6:44pm
Most reef (and residential systems) 75gpd RO/DI systems use a standard DOW Filmtec 75gpd filter...which is what I buy and have...typically from Amazon since they're pretty inexpensive.

I'll probably get some people mad at me for saying this, but "Reef" RO/DI systems aren't really at all specialized to "reefs".  They're just RO/DI systems that are sold by aquarium companies and marketed with the "reef" description.  You can buy the filters/membranes anywhere.  RO/DI systems are used in all sorts of industries, and in some industries, the prices are less expensive.  

Zippeay - sorry...had company in town.  Will get pics ASAP and post it up.    
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 5:32pm
let me know when you would like to sell it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

I've bought mine on Amazon the past few times with no problems.  The standard Dow Filmtec 75gpd membranes are $25.39 + free shipping right now. 

What type of filter do you have that uses those filters?  Is it a DOW filter?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by russianrick russianrick wrote:

Where do you buy an RO membrane for $30?  Most places I have seen charge about as much for a replacement membrane as for an entire filter setup.

I've bought mine on Amazon the past few times with no problems.  The standard Dow Filmtec 75gpd membranes are $25.39 + free shipping right now. 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 3:37pm
Where do you buy an RO membrane for $30?  Most places I have seen charge about as much for a replacement membrane as for an entire filter setup.
daranged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daranged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 8:48pm
i would be intrested in the unit if it dont sale
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 5:41am
Oh yes...quite simple...very similar to replacing the other filters.  I regularly replaced all normal filters, but the membrane usually lasts for about 3 years depending on use.  My TDS meter quit working and I wasn't having any problems, so I just kept using the RO/DI as it was.  They cost about $25-30, depending where you buy.  I'm asking $50 for the unit (will post pics & specs later), so you'd have a full RO/DI setup for about $75.  I can show you how to replace all the filters/membranes as well. 

We wanted to upgrade to a unit with a built-in dual TDS meter and pressure guage.  So, we did.  Previous RO/DI was fine...just wanted more features.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:45pm
This is a noob questions but can you replace the membrane?  I'm guessing not or you would probably do that instead of buying a new one but I thought I'd ask anyway.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 4:13pm
I'm aware...thanks anyway.  That's why I'm selling the 75gpd one.  I have very little history on the 2nd membrane coming with it (friend said she bought the wrong membrane, gave it to me, and it has sat in its open packaging...but I don't know if it was ever used.)  Regardless, I don't think it's an issue with the price I'm selling the unit at. 

The 25gpd one I'm keeping for home use and replacing everything on.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 11:23pm
RO units need to be used or the membrane will foul with bacteria growth which clogs it up and makes it useless. Don't let it sit idle. I'd use it or sell it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 8:34pm
I have a 75gpd day that has all new filters still in the package...not sure how old the membrane is (but it's less than 3 years).  I have another membrane to go with it...and I know it has less than 3 years on it as well.  I'll get it cleaned up and get some photos.

I also have a 25gpd RO unit for household water.  I was going to sell it since it came with the house until I realized it's only 25gpd - not much use for one that small for aquarium use (not to mention it doesn't have a DI).  Guess I'll keep it.   
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 9:56am
Let me know when you decide to sell your RO units.  I need one badly!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 6:51am
Nice!  Ours is similar, but our "cold storage" is entirely under the garage with a separate cold storage room under the front porch.   

I have to say that so far the cold storage area is working awesome as a fish room - no need for a chiller!  Might need more heaters in the winter though....

Edited by Reef'd Up - August 21 2011 at 6:51am
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 12:05am
My friend that just built a house used a space under her front porch in the basement as a solid concrete room I guess for cold storage:) All I could think was wow this is a great space for fish stuff lol.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 11:05pm
Thanks everyone!

Aquarium brace was fixed, and the new RO/DI arrived (now I have two that need to go...upgraded this time.)

Now we're just waiting to have our house modified for hobby.  Never thought I'd actually say that.... 

We're getting bids on having our foundation drilled to add plumbing to our 2nd basement.  Once we get that finished, we can hook up the RO/DI finally and actually get the main tank up and running.  (I really hate buying RO/DI water when I have three units sitting here...aargh) 

And if you're wondering what a 2nd basement is...so are we.  No joke, we have a solid concrete bunker under our garage.  We figured we'd add some plumbing and finish it off...with part of it being a huge fish room.  :-) 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 10:07am
Welcome...As for getting cool shaped rock, check out:
Cerameco
They are located in Salt Lake City.

Edited by Summertop - August 12 2011 at 10:10am
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 1:55am
Welcome!! Sorry to hear about your losses! If you need anything or help just let me know?

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:38am
Sounds really cool, glad everything work out for you.  I dated a girl that lived in South Weber and her apartment faced the canyon, holy crap was it cold and windy!  Glad you were smart enough to stay away from that area. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:31am
Thanks for the welcomes and advice everyone!

We purchased a house in South Weber (outside the wind zone), and so far we love it.  Our neighbors have had us out to several different city activities (picnic & game show night, a 5k/10k race, and then just a neighborhood meet & greet.)  Plus, we're only one exit from the base, so that makes it really convenient.  We also went hiking up Adam's Canyon, which is a convenient 5 mi from our home.  Never thought I could find hiking so close!

Now for the important details - the tanks!  Right now everything is in a 40g breeder temporary tank.  Since Delta lost my boxes, everything is either dead or poo brown.  I lost my purple tang, strawberry shortcake, and my ORA Hawkins...*sad*.  We had quite a bit of RTN as well, but it has all stopped, and everything is starting to color back up. 

The 150g tank is set up in the finished basement (wasn't going to risk that thing on the first floor).  The plastic brace on the top of the 150g needs to be repaired before water can go in...but the RO/DI doesn't arrive until Monday.  Anyway, the 150g is set up as a 360 degree view, so I'm excited for that.  Last house it was set up only as a 2-sided view.

While on the topic of the 150g, I'm looking for some very specific rock shapes.  Can anyone around here cut rock?  I'd like 2 slabs that are about 6" wide by 2" thick by 20" tall.     

Since we couldn't have the 150g tank on the first floor, the hubby is starting to plan out a smaller tank for the entryway.  It's a top secret project, but I can say that it'll have some of the most unusual species in it.  My guess is it'll be about a 30g cube or something.  :)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic