Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heading to Hill AFB very soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading to Hill AFB very soon!
    Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:54am
Hello all!

Like the title says, my husband and I are about to head to Hill AFB.  So, we figured it was best to join the club and start getting involved BEFORE we have to ask for help resetting up the tank!  LOL

I'm Nikki, and my husband is Will.  We're both engineers for the Air Force (I'm civilian, and he's military.)  We were supposed to arrive in July, but we just found out he's deploying, so we're heading there sooner so he can leave again. 

We're both addicts: I'm more addicted to the coral side, and he's more addicted to the setup/technology side.  We've been reefing for over 4 years, and I was VP & Prez in my old club for 3 years total.  We're also both PADI Advanced Open Water scuba certified.

Ok ok...enough chatting...time for photos!

I'm really embarrassed I don't have a new FTS, but here is our main display a year & a half ago:

My husband and I designed/built/stained the stand/canopy.  Tank is a Marineland 150g.

Sump is a custom design by us...built by us.  Skimmer is an Octopus Extreme 250

Lighting consists of 2 x 400W MH in Lumenmax Elite reflectors on IceCap ballasts with 2 x 54W T-5's on a workhorse ballast.

Flow: 2 x Vortech MP40's

Controller:  Neptune Apex w/ moonlight simulator

Media Reactor:  NextReef MR1

ATO:  DIY w/ back-up safety

Dosing:  Reefdoser Quadro w/ 2-part solution

RO/DI:  Coralife 4-stage 75GPD (better one is on the way)

QT system:  10g drilled w/ 10g sump
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:05am
I'm an SPS addict, but I also love rescueing corals.  Here are some of my babies:

A. Selago/Aculeus (not sure which one...old photo while back in QT)

ORA Blue Bottlebrush (old school...but a goodie!)

Blue Milli (grows an inch a month...this is a *very* old photo)

Blastomussa Wellsi

Tyree Cyphastrea Ocellina

Also have the following:

Tyree Pink Lemonade Acropora
Tyree $500 Efflo Acropora
Paletta's Pink Tip Acropora
Tub's Pink Jade Acropora
Strawberry Shortcake Acropora
Tyree Montipora Setosa
Icefire Echinata
ORA German Blue Polyp Acropora
Orange Crush Acanthastrea Echinata
Orange/Blue Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana
and many many many others....
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:08am
I mentioned above that I rescue corals.  I buy/take corals that are nearly dead...and do whatever I can to save them.  These are some of my best:

Before:

~2 months later:

Before:

Now:

Before:

Now:

Before:

Now:
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:12am

Edited by jcoulter17 - May 12 2011 at 10:54pm
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:22am
Welcome to the club! It sounds like you are going to fit in just fine here! What was your old club? I really dig the look of your tank, and your corals look awesome. We have a very active community here and do meetings once a month on the first Thursday's that are free for everyone. Feel free to come to the next one!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:38am
I have to admit, I'm quite excited about being involved in the club.  It sounds like you all are crazy active - so much to do!  I'll try to take some new photos - unfortunately selling our house has taken most of our time.  We don't know exactly when we're heading out there.  Will found out about the deployment on Friday, so we could be moving late this month to the middle of June now.  I'm trying to find a job, and I'd prefer to not leave here until I have one out there.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Right now we're in Dayton, Ohio.  Our old club was the Western Ohio Reef Club, but unfortunately, politics got in the way of reefkeeping, so we left.  Dayton is just not ideal for reefkeeping.  There are only a couple of LFS around here, and the ones that are here usually have livestock covered in pests...or just have brown/dying corals they have insane prices on.  Most of our corals came from stores we travelled across the country to.  We've been to MACNA, Steve Tyree's store, etc. 

It'll be really nice to be near a ton of reefers/LFS with beautiful corals!!  How many members usually show to meetings/etc?  I saw there were like 2700 forum members?!  That's insane!!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:09pm
AWESOME!!!!!

It's great to have you here. Which macna's have you been to? Have we met?

We have an incredibly large club here. One of the best in the nation. You'll love it. Great people, great stores, and just a thriving hobby. Nice to have you here, can't wait to meet the two of you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:16pm

We've only been to the Orlando 2010 MACNA - did you go?  We were pretty social there, but I have no idea if we met there...there were a *lot* of people there!! 

I'd love to get involved, but it sounds like you guys have most of the bases covered as far as DIY.  We can do acrylic work, DIY magnetic frag plugs, normal frag plugs, recharging DI resin, DIY homemade food, macroalgae (I grow Gracillaria Hagi, Ulva, & red Agar), rescueing corals, QT procedures, treating fish for various diseases (link below), and I'm really good at pest/hitchhiker ID & treatment. 

BTW, I'm MechEng99 on Reefcentral.com

Edited by Reef'd Up - May 08 2011 at 12:17pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:23pm
I don't know if we met, but I'm already very glad to hear that you are moving here. This is great! You'll be valuable resource to hobbyists, and a wonderful friend to have around.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:52pm
welcome and hope you enjoy our cold state lol
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:57pm

Hey, it's cold here in Ohio too!  (And rains and rains and rains all the time.)  I've heard Utah at least has blue skies, right?  I'll trade anything for some terrain and blue skies. 

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:23pm
recently no lol. yesterday I think was the best day it was in the 70's but today is cold in the 50's and raining. been like that for a while we get a day maybe two that is half decent then rain and snow lol. But normaly yea it is pretty mild winters and summers here.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Piscavore1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piscavore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:34pm
Welcome to the club. Sounds like you will fit right in with the group - lots of passion and know how being shared. Everyones experience is valuable in this ever morphing hobby.

I presume you are at Wright-Patterson? I have an office on Hill AFB and live nearby in Layton so should be able to help when you need it (given that I am not TDY).
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:40pm
Yes, we're currently at Wright-Patt.  Might need some advice soon on where to buy a house! 

Wow, I've been browsing the site all morning, and I'm absolutely shocked at the amazing stuff everyone has!  The corals are beautiful...and HUGE!  I have a feeling it's going to be a stark contrast between the aquariums here and what I'll see out there!!  Plus...all the events?!  That's nuts!  Our club just had a frag swap once a year...the rest of the time we would just go to someone's house monthly to look at their tank.  Never had a speaker (no point for about 15 active members!!) 

I heard there's the SeaBase scuba/snorkel place there?  How is that?  I know it's no ocean, but I figure if it'll get me a scuba fix, then I'm happy. 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Piscavore1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piscavore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:07pm
I don't know where your at in Dayton but my limited comparison is that Hill home prices are higher on average. Think more of Pheasant Hill or Forest Ridge than Old NOrth Dayton. There are homes in all price ranges - part of it depends on how far you want to drive to work.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:07pm
Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you and following your setups. I love love love the fact that you save dying corals.. that is awesome! It is so rewarding to watch them come back .

Pam
Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:41pm
Welcome to Utah (soon). Are you looking to live on base or off base? We have a ton of Military families on our street. Layton is a great area.
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:50pm
Yea if you are wanting to live off base there is a few houses for rent a block below us. we live like 5 min from the main gate.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:01pm
Welcome! Great to have you here!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:31pm
I think we'll have to live off base with the ~200g setup we have!  I don't think the base would appreciate it...and wouldn't appreciate us setting up an RO/DI.  :)

I think we're planning to buy a house unless we don't find one to fall in love with.  Hubby says I'm not allowed to make a house purchase decision based off proximity to a LFS.  :) 

Hey CapnMorgan - I see you have a NPS reef...that's awesome!  I had a little 8g one for a while about 2 years ago, but it was too hard to get anything other than suncorals in our area (had a balanophyllia, 3 suncorals, and a gorg...that's it).  Do you have a build thread? 

Ok, newbie question...why do several of you have *Presidency under your names? 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic