Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with a trach. (wellso)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a trach. (wellso)
    Posted: May 09 2011 at 9:52pm
I have had a nice trachiphyllia (formerly wellsophyllia) in my tank for almost a year, and it has always done really well. It used to get all hydrated and huge. A couple of months ago I found a favites colony had fallen face down on top of the trach and ever since then it hasn't hydrated out at all. No tissue recession has happened, and it still has great color, but it's seriously upset. Any suggestions on how I might get rid of the lingering irritation?

Before

Now

Please excuse the color differences - the second image was taken with my phone.
90G Mixed Reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 9:49am
I was going to say maybe the difference in light, then I saw your last comment. Is it still in the same spot? Or have you moved it around. Also how did it change from a welsi to a trachi?

I had a problem with one and just moved it around till it found its sweet spot. How are your params? Is everything else in the tank looking ok?
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 10:07am
I said it was formerly a wellso because I understand it's no longer classified as wellsophyllia. Sorry for the confusion.
As for water parameters, they're really good (don't have the numbers right now) and all my other corals including frogspawn, acans, favites, candies, and several softies and sps, are doing awesome. It's still in the same spot where it was before the favites fell on it.
90G Mixed Reef
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 3:08pm
 Keep an eye on your fish. Something may be picking at it. IME Tangs especially like to pick at Wellso's.   Could be the reason it still looks pretty healthy but doesn't fully expand.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 4:04pm
Exact numbers always help when talking about parameters.

Your really good could be totally different from mine. I am not saying water parameters are your issue but you never know.

What is your magnesium?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 4:09pm
If all your other corals are doing fine I too wouldnt be worried about the params. But how is the flow in the tank? Can we get a full tank shot? Like I said try to move it to another spot and see how it does after a few days.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 5:22pm

It looks very healthy.  Any increase to the flow in that area?  Polyp expansion in LPS is sometimes brought on by lower flow/lower light (low flow to keep the tissue from being ripped off, and low light to increase the surface area with exposed zooxanthallae).  It can also be brought on by water parameters, but I'm not as familiar with what does what for polyp extension.  Maybe try dosing iodine to help with light sensitivity...dunno...just guessing on that one. 

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic