Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Coral Dying. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Coral Dying. Help!
    Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:05am
I have a bubble coral thats dying. Anyone know what to do to fix this. My water parameters are great. I think its dying cause I just moved my tank and I think I damaged some of the tissue. It looks ripped on one of the edges. Anything I can do to help it?
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:07am
I have a frogspawn that a similar thing happened to it took 3 months but it pulled through.
nellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:35am
I had a bubble that wasn't doing so well and moving it into a lower flow area and feeding it some meaty food like prime reef by hand (almost having to force it into it) and it turned around very quickly.  if you're not giving it some hand feeding mine loves! that and it always lets me know when i've gone too long without doing it.

-dwn
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 1:08pm
How do you hand feed it? What should I use? The "bubbles" aren't coming out really, can I still feed it? Do they like low flow rather than high? I think mines in a med flow spot on the sand. Right underneath a 250 w HQI, in a 46 gal tank.
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 2:27pm

IMO, lower light demands, and low flow.

Try taking it out of direct light and direct flow.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 2:52pm
I would also thry moving it. Also target feeding will help. I had a hammer almost die. I actually moved it to a higher light and current area and target fed it every night. Looks much better now. Just my experance.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 3:27pm
Marks tip #143

When moving Bubble Coral, and indeed all LPS, it's best to do so in water in a bucket. If it has to be moved out of the water, first get it to fully or partially retract then pull it out of the water upside down. The reason for this is that the skeleton is very sharp and will easily cut the tender tissue when it is full of water.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 5:04pm
Ya, I tried doing that Mark. But I think I did it when I was trying to sucure it into the sand. How do I target feed it? Where should I hit it at? What to feed it? I have mysis and cyclopleeze
nellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 6:59pm
bubbles have a large central slit when they're healthy and really extended you can see.  it will look like a slit running right down the middle of it and i always targeted right there since it would retract a bit around it when sprayed with some meaty goodness.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:42am
Thanks for the help all!
Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:14pm
I also have a bubble coral, What do you feed it my local pet store says feed it plankton every week like 2 tsp. of it i have a 40g Also i have a fuzzy mushroom coral and it looks kind bad what do they eat?
Go 4x4 It!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:22pm
Both will take offerings of meaty food IME. Mushrooms typically do not "need" to be fed directly but I have heard that bubbles often do.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:38pm
What do you use to feed them directly? What kind of thing can do that?
Go 4x4 It!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 9:33pm
hand fed (jake, where's that video of you feeding the silverside?) or you can use a turkey baster or medicing dropper. Suck it up and gently blow it accross the coral.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
nellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 10:46pm
i would turn the powerheads off for a few minutes, very important to do this when trying to target feed or it just blows all over, then break up about half a piece of prime reef over the guys that need it, the fish eat the floaties.  then turn the powerheads back on.

-dwn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic