Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ahanix's 20 Gallon TV - Updated 5-22-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ahanix's 20 Gallon TV - Updated 5-22-11
    Posted: May 14 2011 at 8:00pm
After a couple years of owning this, I finally talked my wife into converting it from freshwater to salt. I gutted everything and started fresh with the exception of a Penguin Biowheel filter and the 20g tank.

Tank is painted black on the back and both sides.

Biowheel filter has been gutted, filled with leftover rubble from my Vidarock, and some filter floss for now.

I also decided to go with 100% Vidarock on this build, figured I would see exactly how well it will do, plus I really like the look that it gives.

Other Specs:

20lbs of Caribsea OceanDirect Live Sand
Oddysea 4xT5HO (Will be converted to LED when the bulbs need to be replaced)
Koralia Evolution 425
DIY Jawfish Condo

Stocking Plans
RBTA from existing tank
Zoas
Torch
Other random LPS and a couple SPS
Clown Pair (Type Undecided)
Jawfish

I will be posting photos of the internals later after I get everything looking neat inside the stand

Home Made Fuge for now. I am looking for a HOB refugium, so hopefully someone will be looking to trade for one soon.

Levels checked out ok (75% of the water was from the 65, along with half of the rock and a couple cups of live sand) So I decided to start stocking the tank. I have a couple of snails, a couple hermits and some corals along with an extra RBTA that split off my main anemone. I pulled Zoas, some torch along with a chalice and SPS that I am unable to identify.

New FTS, pretty stocked now. Thinking about switching to either LED's or MH, or even a better t5 fixture. I'm pretty happy with the overall outcome however.

Edited by Ahanix - May 22 2011 at 1:13pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 8:28pm
I could watch it all day.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 9:09pm
That is freakin sweet!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 9:43pm
very cool, love it
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:55pm
Awesome! I wondered when I saw this with goldfish right? Why it wasn't salt:) I have always thought these were cool. Can't wait to see it all decked out!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 8:27am
sweet!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:25am
This would have been nice to see on reef tour.....hint hint
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 3:22pm
i have seen my next build, di here i come to get my tv!!!! 5 dollars do i hear 5 dollars! this is goin to be aawsome! lol, thankyou for a wounderfull idea!!!
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 7:07pm
so tight! Is heat going to be an issue?

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 9:16pm
Runs a lot cooler than my 65g tank does. No real heat issues or evaporation going on. I ran this setup as freshwater for a couple of years and I actually made more room inside when I switched it to salt water.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 1:13pm
Full FTS Update
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic