Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mountain Shadow Topics Past and Present

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain Shadow Topics Past and Present
    Posted: January 05 2005 at 8:56pm

To everyone-
I will try to address some issues regarding the recent Mountain Shadow Marine posts.  This could be a long post, sorry.
As a club rule you can’t come on this board and say something like “Adam is an idiot”.  Personal attacks aren’t tolerated.  But you can say “I think Adam is nuts for keeping so much algae in his tank, it is going to cause problems”.  However, you can get on this board and say things like “I just mixed some instant ocean salt, and the alkalinity is way high” or “I don’t like rio pumps, I think they are crappy”.  Even though Dr. Hovanec and TAAM are not here to defend themselves, we encourage people to share their experiences in an effort to benefit the rest of the club members.

Now regarding local pet stores-
If someone has a bad experience at a store, we may or may not want to hear about it.  It would be unfair to hurt a store’s image because of one bad experience or one bad day.  With that being said, I can’t remember anyone ever making a post saying that they were yelled at, sworn at, felt attacked, or were completely put off by any store other than Mountain Shadow Marine.  When one person complains, we ignore it.  But in this case, about 8 separate people have started separate topics expressing their completely unprofessional and inappropriate experiences.  Eventually those topics get out of hand and we end up deleting them.  With dozens of people then stating the same situations, the accusations are gaining (have gained) much credibility.  I’m tired of hearing the complaints and trying to smooth over the situation, so hopefully everything will be said and we won’t have to fuss over this anymore.

In addition, we have confirmed that Randy Olsen is posting under his name, as well as the pseudonym “wasatchreefer”.  Such dishonesty is not tolerated on our board.  We have warned other store owners and members before, and are letting it be known that dishonest behavior is not welcomed.

In conclusion, I’ll add my personal thoughts on the subject.  Some people drive fast and don’t wear seatbelts because they’ve never seen an auto accident.  Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.  My thoughts are that the more I hear the more I believe that it is only a matter of time before people learn about the MSM behind the scenes and have their own bad experiences.  It is unfortunate to say the least.  As club president it is my responsibility to build relationships with local stores.  But it is also my responsibility to look out for my club members, which is what I’m trying to do here.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
RandyOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:12pm

Hey Blundell when I have Neil call you are you going to revise that accusation? I’ll let HIM explain what HE did! I was just the target and he was trying to help, with my approval.   

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:17pm
I would rather see no personal attacks allowed period.... If we dont allow it with all we should not allow it with one regardless of who that one may be.
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:35pm

Connie-
I agree.  We try to delete those attacks, and for the most part I'll bet they are all deleted well before any of you ever get the chance to see them.  Hopefully we're just letting the personal experiences be told.

Adam

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:35pm
If I was a retailer I would want to know if I was doing something wrong! I'm sure Randy isn't in business just to have fun. Constructive criticism should always be welcome. Overall it helps the person to improve. Business or personally.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:36pm

Randy- yes, have Neil call me.  By the way it will be more believable if he doesn't call me from your phone.

Adam

RandyOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 9:39pm

BTW as I have quite had enough in browsing past topics…

Thank you to those of you who attempted to defend your good experiences at MSM; at least you tried…lol  

And to the rest of you that feel I am the scourge of the planet; Go other places to shop...its that easy. I will get over it as I’m sure you will too.

I do what I can in order to run this thing the best I know how and you all make it sound like MSM is the Exxon Valdez! I have given up more than you will ever know for this business and have tried to make people happy in all I do but sometimes its more than ANYONE can handle…Marks seen it, in fact he had a plan for me in order to better handle it. Mark you still want a job? Just kidding I know what I need to do.

I enjoy MSM most of the time, but in doing this, this whole thing I have learned a few things for sure;

*Don’t trust people for they will rob you blind and stab you in the back.

*Eventually you are going to piss somebody off no matter what you do.

*And as is human nature we all need something to complain about.

Hope you all have a great night and by all means when you see me in the store, if any of you do feel the need to come in the store again, introduce yourselves by your WMAS name as well as your real name, Id love to put names with faces.

And if any of you wish to discuss anything further…call or e-mail me personally as I will not be visiting your “board” again….its not the best way to receive constructive criticism…its more cowardice than in person or over the phone.

And like Connie said…all brought to a head by $7.50 worth of snails…its funny really.

Randy Olsen

MSM Aquatics

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:41pm
For some reason between this thread and the other thread that it stems from I feel almost as though I have been watching one of those kooky soap operas that are only on in the middle of the day when no one should be watching them (well I suppose they put them on in the middle of the day because people watch them then...).  If you have a problem with someone try to resolve it with them first.  If you have a bad experience give a brief concise summary and leave it at that.  I surely don't feel like watching, nor reading the soap operas that happen in life--I'm too busy trying to have fun.  Hah! Now I've added to the soap opera, looks like I'm getting sucked in to.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 11:04pm

I think many of us are very involved in this hobby lets face it our aquariums are not cheap, we all spend alot of money on our aquariums which become a big investment. And when people spend hard earned money on them they expect some respect from the companys they buy from.  So i can see how easy it is for people to want to vent about a bad  experience they have had somewhere. This is a very tight club we have we all share good and bad experiences  that we all can relate to.

In a nut shell you must give respect to get respect.. thats my 02.

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by FIRE SHRIMP FIRE SHRIMP wrote:

In a nut shell you must give respect to get respect.. thats my 02.

AMEN brother!

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 1:05am

Personally, I think this crap is unfair to alot of neutral reefers. I for one like Randy's place, but also understand the views of those that may feel down-talked. Fact is, I will still stop in and see him from time to time and will probably buy. I know that when I go in there, I'm just a customer, but realizing I'm a proud member of the WMAS, I am also a brief rep to such and this name calling will be a cloud over my head whenever I go there. Believe me, I understand how some of you must feel... my wife's not too fond of Randy, either, but that only effects me when I go LFS gandering with her(basically... if you don't like it, don't go there or wait in the car). It's just a respect thing. I appreciate Randy's direct, no B.S. approach... when I was running my own pet store, I had some of the similar experiences that were really quite frustrating... a guy called me at home on the fourth of July to tell me if I didn't come and open up so he could by some crickets, I'ld never see his face in my store, again... pretty cool, huh? Look, I can't vouch for who is posting as what and rules are rules so inforce em and lets get over this meager crap. Good heck, there's several other LFS to choose from. Randy has always treated me with a decent respect, but has also seemed to push his opinions... that's just a part of dealing with that store if you should continue shopping, there. I gotta say, some of my nicest stuff has come from there. I respect everybodies views and that being said, this is all just my 2 cents. Oh, one more note, if you're not too comfy with Randy, call first... his staff is usually pretty darn good to deal with, but remember, they get preoccupied, too.

Jason

www.captivereefing.com
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 1:57am
Since I have never been to Randy's store I may possibly be this situations equivalent to a juror on the O.J. Simpson trial.

Given the information that I have read here. I am compelled to say that when providing a service of any kind it is good buisiness to follow the rule of "the customer is always right".

I have worked in the service industry before and I know that the rule can be difficult to follow. There have been times when I could have been nominated for an academy award while following this rule.

Let's face it to say some of these things to potential customers makes me think of the philosophic words of Larry the Cable Guy, when he said "you might as well go to a trailer park and yell over a megaphone that Wal-Mart sucks".

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 7:59am

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:06am
I need to stick up for the club!

On Seahorse.org, for the past year (that I know of) people have
been "bashing, witch hunting " complaining about the terrible
service at Ocean Rider. A few weeks ago, one of the big wigs
posted a thread about how OR had changed it's customer
service department. Lately, all I see is posts about how
wonderful OR is! So, I'm getting more equines from them!

It is very acceptable on other web sites to post experiences
with vendors, and it is acceptable here. Any store that wants
our business can post their specials. And, post our Reef Tour
posters!

Randy, do you really not want us to shop at your store?
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:11am

Suzy, Im not sticking up for Randy but rather the way this was done. When Renee has issues, she stated them but had the good taste to never mention a name.  Renee

Why should Randy support the Reef Tour when members dont. If you all remember, I was and am very against it. Why shouldnt store owners be able to make the same choice?  

joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:52am

Just a quick comment.  This began because the person went down to the store when they were closed.  I've never been good at remembering the store hours for the LFS's.  Could you update the LFS page to include Hours of Operation?  It might have solved this problematic situation.

Jody

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:55am
Great idea..... Jake would it be possible to have a sponsor section or a spot for all LFS to list hours, location?? Not to sell stuff but to let us know about all of them and when we can visit..i

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 10:26am
Originally posted by RandyOlsen RandyOlsen wrote:

Hey Blundell when I have Neil call you are you going to revise that accusation? I’ll let HIM explain what HE did! I was just the target and he was trying to help, with my approval.   

Big Update-
I just got off the phone with Dr. Neal Hillman (by the way Randy, you spelled his name wrong).  He once again confirmed that he has not been to this site and has not made any posts.  He was completely unaware of any of these topics.  He was upset, and shocked to learn of his identity theft.
He is a little worried now, and says that Randy has hundreds if not thousands of dollars in his livestock being held at MSM until he completes his move.  He brought up concerns that maybe that was the reason why someone used his name to create those posts. 
Hopefully, this situation will not prove harmful to him, and his items will be well taken care of and shipped to him in Michigan.

Adam

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 10:49am
Well if that doesnt speak volumes about someone's integrity... or lack thereof...
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:13am
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic