Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me Understand Filtration in SaltWate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me Understand Filtration in SaltWate
    Posted: September 12 2002 at 1:01pm
One of the things that I wonder about most with a Salt Water fish tank is how the filtration works.  For example with fresh water I have a penguine biowheel that will take care of both mechanical and biological filtration.  What do I need as far as filtration goes to run a small 20 gal. Salt Water tank?  Also how expensive are these things that I need?  Thanks
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2002 at 5:57pm

There are as many ideas about marine filtration as their are hobbyists...  but most long-term successful reef tanks are based on these two main principals:

• Live rock/sand bed (for biological filtration)
  • Protein Skimming (for mechanical filtration)

Do you plan on keeping marine fish only or corals as well? 

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2002 at 6:29pm

I would definatly want to put some corals and different things in the tank.  I really don't have a very good Idea of what I want yet, I am just trying to get a picture of what I will need to get to that point.  I plan on going to a couple houses this saturday to get some ideas on what I would like in my tank.  

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 9:44am

Kevin,

There are a couple methods of filtration, and most people use a few methods at the same time.  In a reef tank, corals and rock and sand provide an incredible amount of filtration.  But they don't remove large matter, or decaying material nearly as well as a powerfilter, biowheels, fluval system, protein skimmers.... things like that.  Plus don't forget the power of water changes.

I would say that the best advice I can give is to do what you are doing, and visit houses tomorrow.  See what others are using.  In many ways the mechanical filtration is not much different from freshwater systems.  The main difference (in my mind) is the use of living substrate for waste removal.  The usage of deep sand beds, refugia sumps, and similar items are the additional filtration set ups in marine tanks.

Just my views

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic