Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...
    Posted: May 19 2011 at 1:54am

Edited by npatching - May 25 2011 at 4:22pm
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 10:23am
He is looking pretty sad in these pictures.  I would recommend soaking food in garlic extract and feeding multiple times a day.  Keep him eating and he may break it.  Try not to stress him out in any way.

Here is a link to another person having issue with ick.  A lot of good reads here on ick as well.  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48790

npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 11:09am
thanks. So far he's been eating like a champ. So, maybe he can get through this.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 11:23am
It's very possible the Ich parasite is there, but that looks like Brooklynella to me. In fact, the pics of BnK's fish in that thread that Brandon linked, also looks like Brooklynella.
Sorry, there is no good remedy that I know of. Fortunately, it mostly afflicts Anemonefish, often killing them, though I've had a Royal Gramma that also died from it.
What other fish are in the tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 1:47pm
I have a small wrasse and a tail spot blenny also in the tank. I have my clown in a quarantine tank now.
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 2:28pm
What are your thoughts on doing a 37% formalin dip? I've seen some sites saying that this might help.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It's very possible the Ich parasite is there, but that looks like Brooklynella to me.

I was thinking the same thing.  You could try a formalin dip as a last resort.  The problem is: often times the "catching" event stresses the fish so dramatically that dip is only a temporary fix.   If you can catch the fish easily and gently, then I would give it a try.
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 11:06pm
thanks everyone

npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 7:40pm
I am pretty sure my tank is infested with brooklynella or oodinium.  Either way I think I need to go fishless for 6 weeks or so. I have a clown fish and a melanarus wrasse that need to find a quarantine tank. or fish hospital for these two fish. any ideas.
< ="utf-8">< ="utf-8">< ="utf-8">
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:00pm
Hard to tell if it's Brook or marine ich. 

Brook kills the fish by impairing the fish's osmoregulatory system and through secondary infections.  Formalin (formaldehyde) series dips/baths are the only treatments I know of for it.  Getting the fish into a hyposaline condition (QT tank running low salinity) will decrease the amount the fish has to work to maintain osmotic balance...thus giving you a little bit more time to treat the fish for the actual parasite.  You'll need to run a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as secondary infections are common as the parasite falls off.   

Hyposalinity if done correctly will also treat ich, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone.

If the wrasse is not exhibiting signs of infection, treatment will still be beneficial.

And...just a warning...formalin is nasty stuff.  Be careful, and realize the fish may not be able to even handle the treatment. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:04pm
how will inverts fair with hyposalinity? might be better just to start over.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:44pm
Inverts won't...you'll need to treat your fish in a dedicated QT. 

"Starting over" won't help either.  That's like saying you'll move to a new house b/c your dog brought fleas in.  Animals will bring parasites in...they have to be treated.  It's just a gamble how often & how severe the infestations will be.  You may go years with no problems...or keep battling infections every couple months.  I prefer to treat and never deal with it again.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 8:14am
"Start over" happens a lot in this hobby and in life Smile don't you think?!
There is a lot to be said for a total refresh. It can be the easiest and cleanest way to go. Doing it better next time is how we grow and improve. That's what a lot of the Tips in the Reefkeeping Tips, are geared toward, teaching hobbyists how to do it better.Smile
My ex-wife once called me a fish killer. It happens.
BTW, love your avatar. Thumbs Up
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 4:30pm
I think starting over happens a bit too much, and for the wrong reasons.  Yes, it can be good if changes are made, but I think too many people start over without making changes.  They blame the LFS for selling an "unhealthy fish", their friend for selling coral covered in Bryopsis, etc.  They don't look at their own QT/treatment/nutrient export practices and make changes.  Human nature is too often to run from problems rather than making slight changes to set them back on the right path.

I don't think most mistakes made in the hobby are worth starting over entirely.  A few simple changes here and there can make a world of a difference.  Especially for something as simple as a fish parasite.  Remove the fish...treat...leave main tank fallow...reintroduce fish.  No point in disturbing an established tank (probably filled with corals).

Yup...killing fish happens...and I think we should take it more seriously (and I'm definitely at fault too).  We are importing so many fish, and compared to the freshwater hobby, we are able to reproduce fish in captivity at a mere fraction.  We have all sorts of environmental groups pointing fingers at the hobby, and compared to other countries import restrictions, we're currently very lucky.  We teach newbies that it's ok to lose some fish as long as their wallets can afford it.  Not cool!  We need to be more responsible with what we're very lucky to have.  We need to educate ourselves better on fish/coral treatments to decrease the death rate, and we need to increase the captive reproduction rates.     

Eh, just my $0.02, for whatever it's worth. 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 8:54am
Why did npatching delete the OP? This was an educational thread. I was going to refer a hobbyist here that was also having trouble with Brooklynella. Erasing the OP w/pic was not cool. Unhappy
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 4:28pm
FYI I didn't edit anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic