Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

from thursday to a weekend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: from thursday to a weekend
    Posted: May 22 2011 at 2:46pm
I would love to come to all the meetings and guest speakers but Salt Lake is a 3 hour drive for me.  Would love it if everything was on friday or saturdays so I can make it to them.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:08pm
Where about do you live? We've had an occasional Friday and Saturday meeting but to be honest the attendance was always much lower. When Heil was president (for three years!) he always wanted Friday meetings. That drive from Brigham City was a tough one for him.
However, the club always heavily out voted him to keep the meetings on Thursdays.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:18pm
That sucks.  I live in Vernal.  It is a 3 hour drive one way.  It is impossible for me to come out on a thursday because of my husbands work. It was just a thought. I'm just one person that wants it that way i guess.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:44pm
Well the Reef Tour, the Barbecue, Mountain West Reef Fest.... all on Saturdays. So at least you have that.

You never know, some other non-thursday events will pop up so just keep an eye out.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 7:11am
Another idea would be to see if someone could set up a live webcam of the meeting.
Hey, I just realized I might be able to do that with my laptop camera using gotomeeting.com, which I use all the time on this laptop for work.
Maybe someone else has a better idea? Skype perhaps?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JoshD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoshD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 12:07am
I'm not going to lie, web casting it would be a neat idea. I'm kinda in the same boat about the meetings. I live in salt lake but with my work schedule I can't make the meetings.... but I do have a pc with internet connection.

fyrmn14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fyrmn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 5:31am
Another suggestion as I dont get to many of the meetings either. Video record and upload for downloading. First suggestion would be easy uploading to Youtube otherwise uploading to a server and allow us to download from there. Live casts seem to defeat the purpose of people not making it to the meetings.
This isn't a hobby...its a sport...they should put it in the olympics.
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 12:33pm
I really like the web cam Idea.  I ahve class several nights a week and it seems like I almost always have them on thursday evenings.  I would love to be able to start coming to more meetings to learn from everyone but I just can't get to Salt Lake in person.  A live broadcast would be great and maybe we could ask questions and contribute to the dialogue.  Like tonight I am debating skipping class tonight to come to the meeting, but Its a crucial Math class that I can't afford to fail.  With all the Techno people here I am sure there is a way.  I could even put together a PC for just that reason and donate it to the club if that would help.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:37pm
These are great suggestions for the meetings! It is hard for us as well with living in Grantsville and Troy out of town so much.
 Pam
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:54pm
I will bring it up to the pres. I know we have talked about it before. Part of the hard part is getting permission from the speakers. Alot of them dont want it to be filmed. I will bring it up again! We will keep you posted in the next few weeks as to what was decided! Thanks for the reminder all! 
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

I will bring it up to the pres. I know we have talked about it before. Part of the hard part is getting permission from the speakers. Alot of them dont want it to be filmed. I will bring it up again! We will keep you posted in the next few weeks as to what was decided! Thanks for the reminder all! 
The biggest reason the speaker don't want to be filmed is they get paid to speak and by recording it and posting it on the internet it is like downloading illegal copies of music or movies!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:20pm
Arthur is correct.  We have had some speakers make it clear before they even come that filming and recording is not allowed. 

Others wouldn't have a problem with it though and certainly anything we do as a club with club members presenting shouldn't be a problem.

Several years ago we did film a few meetings and made DVD's for members.  We typically made 5 DVD's and almost always ended with 5 DVD's of that meeting hanging around forever.  After about 6 months of no interest in the DVD's the person doing the filming also lost interest in filming the meetings.

That's not to say we couldn't try it again though if someone has the equipment, ability and is willing to do the work.
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 3:00pm
+1 for the live 'gotomeeting' or a video recording... wonder if the speakers would go for it if it were only allowed viewed by 'paid members' ?!?! maybe even raise a few more 'paid' members if this were an added benefit?  Also wonder if the 'live' idea would make any difference on the speakers attitudes
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 7:10pm
Yeah I think the recording option would be more difficult to get the speakers to go along with it, but if it was a live broadcast through gotomeeting or something then maybe they would be more flexible.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic