Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Meeting June 2nd! Special Guest Star Tony Vargas!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meeting June 2nd! Special Guest Star Tony Vargas!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting June 2nd! Special Guest Star Tony Vargas!
    Posted: May 24 2011 at 3:03pm
Join us with renowned fish enthusiast and author Tony Vargas as he presents: The World's Best Aquariums!!!

See amazing photographs and learn detailed information on how the best aquariums around the world were created!

Expert aquarist and renowned author Tony Vargas will be joining us for a special one night event. Tony will be showcasing a lot of what is in his new groundbreaking book as well as incorporating local aquariums with flare.

About Tony:

Tony Vargas started his aquatic adventures at the age of seven, with Guppies in a pickle jar. Shortly thereafter, he was breeding a large host of fresh water tropicals. In the early eighties he took a giant leap forward and assembled his very first salt water aquarium (fish only). The biological system of choice back than were under gravel filters. Moving on to more challenging waters, in the late 1980's he took another leap forward and experimented with marine invertebrates and corals. At that point in time a sump loaded with Bio-balls was the biological filter of choice. Moving forward in the late eighties a handful of aquarist and Tony were among the first in United States to successfully keep and maintain Acropora alive in captivity, long term. He started to share this experiences and knowledge with others through the many articles written on the subject. These articles were written in a column called "Feature Coral" for FAMA. One of the Acropora articles in FAMA was acknowledge in Carden Wallace text book on Acropora "Staghorn Corals of the World". Today, Tony SCUBA dives around the world taking underwater photos and observing many of these creatures in their natural environment. With his writings he has effectively communicated his experiences and observations. Tony has traveled the States and Europe giving lectures and consultations on corals and reef fish husbandry. He has recently finished a book called "The Coral Reef Aquarium". This book focuses on the basics of reef keeping, how to properly assemble a coral reef aquarium (five great examples), and the long term care of these critters in a captive environment.

A review of his new book:

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/08/coral-reef-aquarium-tony-vargas-great-book-reefing/

Please join us for this special evening.
Thursday June 2nd, 2011
7:00pm

Rose Garden Building
1602 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 12:24pm
Check it out! We're also going to be doing an awesome raffle - Tony Vargas AND a raffle?!

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49177&PID=417504

You don't want to miss this!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:57pm
Don't forget that the meeting is THIS THURSDAY! That's TWO DAYS people! We also are going to have an AWESOME raffle that you do NOT want to miss!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 12:57am
Come on people, it will be the best!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 10:15am
TONIGHT AT 7 PM!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
dca22anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dca22anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 1:24am
Great Meeting Tonight! Best content I have heard in a presentation thus far! Well done! Tony Vargas was amazing!
Dave Anderson
Saratoga Springs, UT
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 2:20am
I really enjoyed it as well :).  Lots of great info. I will be buying his book for sure..Thumbs Up

Pam
KMastin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMastin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 8:58am
Great meeting. I loved seeing those tanks.  I need more corals! More fish! Bigger tanks!  Luckily I have the spouse factor covered!!!
Kathy Mastin
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:49am
This was a great meeting! Thanks to Tony for making the trip out here and giving such an awesome presentation!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
Tony Vargas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Vargas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 6:13pm
As I sit here at Houston Airport waiting for my flight I would like to thank Will Spencer, Bradley J Syphus, and Jake Pehrson for taking me around town to see some incredible reef tanks. This town is loaded with them. And, I would like to also thank the club for such a warm welcome, I had a great time!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 6:15pm
You were AWESOME Tony Clap! Thank you for the great presentation.
 Pam
Supareef22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supareef22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 1:43pm
I enjoyed that meeting a ton and i always love winning the first two corals in the raffle! Thanks for the great presentation Tony! Can anyone tell me the name or the author or both of the book Tony suggested to read about soft corals???
Tanks in advance.
Mike
Window Well Covers Custom Built

Discount For Reef Friends
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 3:07pm
For soft corals he was saying to use the standard Fabricius & Alderslade "Soft Corals and Sea Fans." These books were clearanced out a couple years ago fro free so you shouldn't have trouble getting them cheap. The taxonomic info in it has since been corrected, but overall a great book for soft corals.

Adam
Next Meeting: Macro Algae
DanhNgo View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 3:18pm
Great meeting. One thing I took away was to check my dry fish food and they all have Polyphospate. I wonder what dry food I can get that doesn't have it? Any one?

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 3:49pm
I looked on our food as well and the Spectrum has it as well. All the foods I looked on that I got from Brine Shrimp Direct did not :).Thumbs Up

Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

KMastin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMastin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 9:13pm
I would like to know where you are finding the soft coral book for cheap.  I could only find it from $100 to over $200. Thanks.

Kathy Mastin
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 11:37pm
You can get it for free!
-----------------

The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is giving away the remaining copies of the book "Soft Corals and Sea Fans: A comprehensive guide to the tropical shallow water genera of the central-west Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea" by Katharina Fabricius & Phil Alderslade, colour throughout, 264 pp. (2001). The book will be free of charge, but postage must be paid before delivery of the books (see instructions below). We still have a few hundred copies left to find a good new home. No second edition is planned, so please pass on this message to people who may be interested. The offer is valid until 30 June 2010.

Regards
Katharina Fabricius

SOFT CORALS AND SEA FANS
Fabricius KE & Alderslade P (2001) Soft Corals and Sea Fans: A comprehensive guide to the tropical shallow water genera of the central-west Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville. 264 pp. ISBN: 0 642 322104

Free of charge but postage must be paid before delivery of books. Offer valid until 30 June 2010.

Postage:
Zone     1          AUD$10.50               Australia and New Zealand
Zone     2          AUD$13.50               Asia - Pacific
Zone     3          AUD$18.00               Rest of the World

PLEASE PAY BY DIRECT BANK TRANSFER OR BY EMAILING YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS TO accounts@aims.gov.au
FOR SECURITY, SEND YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS IN TWO SEPARATE EMAILS.

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS FOR the AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF MARINE SCIENCE

Address                          PMB No 3. Mail Centre
                                TOWNSVILLE QUEENSLAND 4810
                                AUSTRALIA

Name of Bank                     Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Address of Bank                  Flinders Mall, Flinders Street, Townsville Queensland 4810, AUSTRALIA

Account Details                  BSB No   064-817
                                Account No.          00070212
                                Account Name: Australian Institute of Marine Science
                                Swift No.               CTBAAU2S

Remittance Contact               Finance Department
                                Ph (07) 47534350
                                Fax (07) 47534338 (overseas: +61 7 47534338)
                                accounts@aims.gov.au

If remitting monies directly to AIMS bank account, please EMAIL details to accounts@aims.gov.au

PLEASE PAY IN Australian Dollars (AUD)
PLEASE ADVISE DELIVERY ADDRESS

FOR ASSISTANCE, EMAIL reception@aims.gov.au

Dr. Katharina Fabricius
Principal Research Scientist
Australian Institute of Marine Science
PMB 3, Townsville MC
Queensland 4810
Australia
Next Meeting: Macro Algae
WhiteReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:22am

Adam, well June 30, 2010 has come and gone, so ....  Also I don't know about you but emailing my credit card information or bank account information to a foreign entity just sounds scarry to me.  However, it sounds like a great opportunity if it is a secure transaction.

----------------

Richard

47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Tony Vargas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Vargas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:27am
I know people who have done it by calling the numbers provided.  Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic