Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tank build idea (drop off)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tank build idea (drop off)
    Posted: May 26 2011 at 1:48pm

After building this big ol' frag tank for Jerry I have decided to take on a more ambitious project.

I am thinking of building a reef drop off tank.

Here is a quick drawing.

This will be built from a combination of 1/2" or 3/4" starphire and clear.

I am still trying to decide on size. I am thinking of building a smaller one at first around 100 gallons, ultimately I would like to build one thats 300+ gallons.

At this point I am looking for some feedback and ideas.

Thanks,

Chad

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 1:55pm
Drop off tanks are awesome! I remember seeing one a few years back that was just stunning. You obviously have the skills so I say go for it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 2:18pm
not the drop off! I've never seen one like this. how would you position it? I think that man made rock would work great in something like this.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

not the drop off! I've never seen one like this. how would you position it? I think that man made rock would work great in something like this.
Well they way I invision it is to have it as a walkaround, with the bottom of the drop off part of the tank 6" to 12" off the floor.

I just showed the drawing to my buddy Big Mike (the muscle who helped me with the frag tank) and he just shook his head and walked away, I dont think he wants to help on this one HAHAHA! LOL 

I havent told him yet that we may try UV bonding on it also. SHHHHClown
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 4:02pm
I've never seen one, that would be so cool!!
Pleasant Grove
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 6:32pm
I too have never seen one of these! It sounds cool and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
 Pam
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 7:09pm
Drop off tanks sure look cool Do you have access to a waterjet to cut the drop off portion? I know of a few people that have built them, Troylee on Reef2Reef built one and took it down only after a few months because the seams were coming apart from the stress in the drop off portion he built his out of acrylic and had an aluminum stand. I think glass would be cool if you have some way of cutting out the drop off section out of one piece of glass. I think an extremely square steel stand would be a must on this type of tank IMO. Cool tank for sure though, take lots of pics as you go.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 12:58pm
I agree Tyler, I will for sure build the stand out of steel.

Well it looks like this is tank is going to become reality. I just got the quote for all the glass including the cut one piece sides, and it was less then I expected.

Here is the dimensions of the first tank I am going to build.

This tank will be built out of 1/2" clear annealed glass. (The big Starphire one to follow if there is success on this little one)

48" overall length 24" wide
Depth of main tank area 18"
Total depth of drop off 32"

I estimate the tank will hold 110 gallons. 

I am not sure how I am going to plumb this freak, however I will have to figure that out soon since I will want to drill the glass before starting assembly. I am VERY VERY open to ideas and suggestions. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic