Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats cool in san diego?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats cool in san diego?
    Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:26pm

Its starting to sound like I may get a honeymoon in san diego. Sea world  

fish geeks unite.... What else is cool and how is sea world?

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:31pm
You're not very far from the Long Beach Aquarium
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:32pm
the birch aquarium?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:54pm

Birch Aquarium is small, but has some good displays.

My personal favorite...

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:56pm
whats the long beach aquarium? hows sea world besides spendy....

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:07pm

No corals at Sea World, but the FO aquariums are much better than Birch. Oh and they also have marine mammals which is pretty cool

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:09pm
is it worth the 50 to get in? Or is it like lagoon here? I can't seem to find a good virtual tour of there stuff. any pics?

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:20pm

I would never skip it when im in san diego. It is becoming more of an amusement park with rides and such. But they still have a lot of good exhibits which are a lot less crowded since the rides keep many visitors amused.

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:44pm
Don't forget to take a look at the San Diego Zoo, Mission Beach, and of course TJ(Tijuana). I lived there for a few years while serving with the Marines. Great times!!!
www.captivereefing.com
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:46pm
TJ.... hmmmm south o the border.  I've heard stories...

Magna
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 2:24pm
Don't take too much $$$, look casual(leave the shiny jewelry and leather jacket in the hotel), and just mingle, but avoid eye contact with the Mexican police... it's a whole different world there. BTW, say "no" to any water or soda with ice... the revenge isn't too friendly. Might wanna learn a few words that could help ya haggle for some nice souveniers while you're there for some cheap prices.
www.captivereefing.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 3:20pm
La Jolla beach is my favorite. Great tidepools there and its not crowded since its not the best for swimming
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 3:26pm

Say Hi to Bob Burhans at Scripps! The King O' Seahorses!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 3:28pm

What's the best part of San Diego-  for me, my friends there.  For you, I'm guessing the "honeymoon".

In general- Sea World is fun, but like you said pricey.  Birch is cheap, but dissapointing and small (don't tell Mark I said that, he thinks it is tons of fun, second only to picking up utah rock).  I think the water activities are just way too cold for me.  My boss and diving partner both live in SD and dive frequently, but for me it isn't worth effort. 
I'd say send a PM to club member Diverdan (Rich) and ask him.  He now lives there and may give some good advice.  Otherwise, come on' SD is great all the time so just hang out.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 6:06pm
Hello everyone,

Lived there for years, loved the place.

Quote What else is cool and how is sea world?

It really depends on what you're into...

Sea World? bleh..

San Diego zoo? WOO HOO!!

TJ, good dirty fun. Just don't attract attention to yourself. Definately check it out if you've never been outside the US. You'll have a new respect for the quality of life you enjoy. If you have the time and drive well past TJ, Mexico is quite beautiful.

Ocean beach (woohoo OB!), Mission beach, Pacific beach, La Jolla.. all great beaches, boardwalks, shops, etc.

Coranado? I just like going over the HUGE bridge.

Catalina? If you've got the time, take a boat ride out there.

It's not hard to have a good time. Just pick up one of the free local rags, there's probably something happening that you'll enjoy.

Hope that helps,
Chris
Ascultã tot, dar nu crede tot.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 8:20pm
My favorite part of the "gi-normous" Birch Aquarium is the Seahorse exhibits.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by Simple Simple wrote:

TJ, good dirty fun.

Ocean beach (woohoo OB!), Mission beach, Pacific beach, La Jolla.. all great beaches, boardwalks, shops, etc.

mmmm good dirty fun.... so about the donkey lady  she's been a story for 30 years...... anyone?

my friend has been down there and yes i agree mex. prices are way cheeper. What time frame drive time is there in between? Pa**ports needed?

On the beaches are the boardwalks spendy?

Is long beach aquarium the same as birch?

Magna
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 1:09pm

Quote The Birch Aquarium at Scripps has pioneered the raising of live corals in captivity.

http://www.aquarium.ucsd.edu/visitor/virtuals/virtual_tour8. cfm

Edited by Skyetone

Magna
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 4:32pm
Hello everyone,

Quote mmmm good dirty fun.... so about the donkey lady she's been a story for 30 years...... anyone?

It's amazing what you can get for 2 dollars american.

Quote What time frame drive time is there in between? Pa**ports needed?

Depends where you're coming from, SD is a big place. Anywhere from 0-30 min? They basically border each other. Pre-911 you could just walk across the border, no pa**port needed. More recently, post-911, I visited Canada and the entire border experience was a joke. Detained for a good hour, a real PITA.

Quote On the beaches are the boardwalks spendy?

The boardwalks themselves are just a big sidewalk. AKA Free. The shops and tourist traps however of course are not.

Hope that helps,
Chris
Ascultã tot, dar nu crede tot.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 11:28pm
Skytone, hope you like gum and a lot of cute little kids yelling, "chicklet, chicklet...". Remember this phrase..."No dinero".
www.captivereefing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic