Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chelstromj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelstromj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a tank
    Posted: May 29 2011 at 4:30pm
My name is Jess and live in pleasant grove.  I just bought a red sea max 130 a 3 year established tank.  Any upgrades recommended? I have 6 fish: clown, hippo tang, yellow wrasse, 2 chromis, and a mandarin goby. Lots of coral.  I would be interested in coral trades and 1 chromis. I'm excited to learn about the hobby or obsession of salt water.  I have had fresh water tanks before but didn't get much excitement out of them.  The move went well and has been up and running for about a week.  Any must do's or must not do's that I should be a where of? first day i bought more clean up crew (snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp).  All the crabs/ shrimp are doing well but the snails seem to be dieing and eaten by crabs.  Any suggestions?  First day my largest hermit crab (orange and blue legged crab) pulled the largest turbo snail of the wall ate him and toke over his shellConfused.  Is this normal? 8 out of the 10 new sails or gonersOuch.  6 out of the 8 are eaten and the other 2 just appear to be dead.  Any thoughts?  Sorry for all the ?'s on the intro.  Here are some pics:

Edited by chelstromj - May 29 2011 at 4:52pm
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 8:07pm
Welcome Jess! I live in Orem and may have a chromis you can have if you want him, but he is big so I'd make sure that your other chromis are not to small. Your tank is looking good! Feel free to post any questions that you have. If you want someone to come over and help I'd be more than happy too. I live on the Orem/Lindon border so I'm pretty close.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 10:46pm
Welcome Jess! I am in PG too! Glade to have you hear! Ask away. The reason could be the snails are dieing because you dont have enough food in there for them. Crabs usually will turn to other source of food if they aren't getting enough. How often are you feeding your tank? Personally Im not a big fan of lots of crabs. Also how long did you acclimate the inverts?

Welcome! and enjoy the ride! Ask away!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 10:59pm
Just wanted to say " Welcome Jess"! I too have a RSM and LOVE IT!
 Pam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelstromj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:10pm
I want to get rid of one of my chromis. Not pick up another.  I would like just a little more color. Wink

I feed my tank a small amount once every day.  The three old timer snails are doing great and haven't been bothered by the crabs.  the new ones I acclimated them from about half hour or so.  Shrimp are doing great.  I have a little to many hermit crabs I think.( 15 or so) and only about 5 small snails. Two of the dead snails are not eaten yet.  Let me know what you think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelstromj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:15pm
Jwoo. I'd love you to stop by and give me a few pointers. pm me and I can work out a time that would work for you.
keylargo801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 1:50am
i am brand new to this hobby and started with a rsm 4 days ago.  your tank is nice... hopefully ill be there soon  Wink
90 gallon
red sea max 130D
rookie aquarist since 4/11
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 9:38am
your tank looks pretty clean so i agree with not getting enough to eat for your snails. Also might want to try a phosphate check. You did just recently move it right? Hermits will rip snails out for food and their shell. Especially when they are about to molt. I had one(scarlet crab) we eventually named him Gigantor. He demolished our snails for a while until he was so big he cared little for the snails in the tank. We fed him little pellets after that. They will also rip each other out too. It's very odd. If you hear a tapping sound in your tank it's likely that one crab is bumping another out of it's shell. I suggest if you can find it, watch. Absolutely fascinating! You might also want to go to a LFS and buy a few extra shells for them to trade in once in a while. Good Luck! 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
e46slc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e46slc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 12:25pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the tang in his tank.  Big smile  Your tank looks great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelstromj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 8:10pm
Thank you. what about the hippo tang?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelstromj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

your tank looks pretty clean so i agree with not getting enough to eat for your snails. Also might want to try a phosphate check. You did just recently move it right? Hermits will rip snails out for food and their shell. Especially when they are about to molt. I had one(scarlet crab) we eventually named him Gigantor. He demolished our snails for a while until he was so big he cared little for the snails in the tank. We fed him little pellets after that. They will also rip each other out too. It's very odd. If you hear a tapping sound in your tank it's likely that one crab is bumping another out of it's shell. I suggest if you can find it, watch. Absolutely fascinating! You might also want to go to a LFS and buy a few extra shells for them to trade in once in a while. Good Luck! 

thanks for the heads up. I had algae on the glass and thats why I bought the snails.  Maybe have too many crabs and not enough snails.  I'll put another batch of snails and see what happens.  I thought with all the crap stirred up from a tank that has been running for three years and with the move they would have plenty to eat.  Do crabs need special food? or normal pellet food that I feed the fish would work?  What a newb I sound like.Embarrassed
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:33am
Some people think that tangs done belong in that small of a tank. I think he looks fine for now. Just keep an eye on him he will get bigger but it will take a while. Then you can either have an excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank, or you can sell him here on the board.

I know someone who had a hippo in a 12 gallon for about 2 years, He was happy as a bee! Then got moved to a 30 and is living there happy for about 1 year now. Just keep him feed and he will be fine!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic