Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our 265 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 6:59am
Thanks everyone.

After stopping by the Aquarium last night, I have finally decided on lighting. I will be running 175W MH's on each end & a 400W MH in the center off a dimmable ballast with 14K Bulbs and two Cannon Exotic blue LED lights. These things look awesome.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 12:37pm
I recommend pheonix 14k halides, feel free to come over if you want to check them out
jamzdean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamzdean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2011 at 3:22pm
I will have 3 400w Icecap ballasts and Icecap pendants for sell if you want them??????  Only used about a year and a half.  Would give that tank the lighting it deserves.  It looks great.
210g Reef
3 x 400w pendants
4 x actinics + moonlights
Octopus Extreme 300 Skimmer
Reefkeeper Elite controller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2011 at 7:36am
I have a 250/400W Dimmable MH Ballast on order for the center. I was planning on using my existing 175W MH's for either end. However.... PM me some pics and prices. Who knows.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:28pm
I have updated old cell phone pics from page 2.
 We are very happy with the way the tank looks and continues to progress (just wish I had more time). We have lost a couple pieces of coral. While all water tests have come back great (besides calcium pushing 550), I believe my lighting is severely lacking. My original plan was to use my existing 175W MH but since I needed new bulbs anyway, I decided to upgrade all MH's to the Lumatek 250/400W Dimmable Ballast. I stopped in at the Aquarium and Brad hooked me up.

I have two 400W bulbs and 2 more Ballasts on order. Should be here by Wednesday.

I would like to take a quick moment to thank Brad (The Aquarium) for all the help (including some amazing deals), ideas and time he has devoted on our behalf. I can say, without that, this build would not have been possible. My wife might say, "If it wasn't for Brad, none of this would have happened". LOL

Edited by DLindquist - July 09 2011 at 11:31pm

Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 12:16am
Lookin good
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 11:37am
Looks great Dave.  Awesome job.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 9:26pm
Thanks guys. Things are coming along.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:24pm
I picked up the remaining lights and installed everything Wednesday night. There are now 3- 400W MH Bulbs currently running on 250W. Today is the first time I have been home to see them on. Apparently, we have 1-14K bulb and 2-20K bulbs. We have not decided which one we like better and may decide to run the lights as they are. Any opinions?

Edited by DLindquist - July 17 2011 at 8:33pm

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 9:50pm
I think 20k is too blue.  My vote would be 14k.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 9:59pm
This is really a beautiful setup! You did a great job.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 10:01pm
Always been a fan of the 14K back in my MH days. Good color, and good growth from them. Get a little more pop from the 20K, but heard the growth rate (mainly of SPS) is a bit slower.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 11:03pm
Put the 14k in the middle and the 2 20k on each side
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 11:06pm
So did you end up putting on the LED Cannons? What lights do you have besides the 3 MH bulbs? I usually like to mix a couple of bulb types (i.e. VHO's and MH's). Whatever you choose I would make all the MH's the same color, then supplement your color with another bulb type like LEDs. If it were my tank, I'd go with 3x 14K MH's and 2x actinic of some type.
90G Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

I think 20k is too blue.  My vote would be 14k.

That was our original thought, but now we are not sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

This is really a beautiful setup! You did a great job.
 Pam

Thank you. If you ever make it my way, feel free to drop by.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Snowsrfr Snowsrfr wrote:

Always been a fan of the 14K back in my MH days. Good color, and good growth from them. Get a little more pop from the 20K, but heard the growth rate (mainly of SPS) is a bit slower.

True. You must be running LED's?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

Put the 14k in the middle and the 2 20k on each side

You mean like they are now? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Deluxe247 Deluxe247 wrote:

So did you end up putting on the LED Cannons? What lights do you have besides the 3 MH bulbs? I usually like to mix a couple of bulb types (i.e. VHO's and MH's). Whatever you choose I would make all the MH's the same color, then supplement your color with another bulb type like LEDs. If it were my tank, I'd go with 3x 14K MH and 2x actinic of some type.

We have not added any other supplemental lighting at this point. We were planning on the Cannons but are having a hard time justifying the costOuch. We definitely want the supplemental lighting, just haven't decided what direction to go, which would also help decide what MH bulbs to go with. We would not go with 20K's if we knew we were adding the Cannons right away.

Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 5:07pm
I would leave if how it is for now, do some blue stunner strips, and when you are ready to replace the bulbs i know they make 16k halides which i would imagine would look pretty good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic