Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our 265 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our 265 gallon upgrade
    Posted: May 30 2011 at 8:50am
Working on an substantial upgrade and wondering if I am crazy!

Current setup. 90 gallons

Sneak peak of the new setup which is 265 gallons.

Edited by DLindquist - June 16 2014 at 7:52am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 9:23am
Welcome to the crazy club. You wont regret it.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 10:20am
Nothing is every crazy in this hobby, it can always be justified... I see your running out of space! Time to make more... sell it ...bah I say no I say go bigger!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Welcome to the crazy club. You wont regret it.
Part of me questions this upgrade already. However, encouragement from you guys makes me feel much better.

Edited by DLindquist - May 30 2011 at 6:04pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

Nothing is every crazy in this hobby, it can always be justified... I see your running out of space! Time to make more... sell it ...bah I say no I say go bigger!

That is what I told my wife after having to sell some amazing show pieces because I was out of room. As I look more into it, I may like the dimensions of a 300 gallon even more.LOL However, because this tank will be on the first floor (basement below), bigger may not be better.

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 3:11pm
That would be an amazing setup! Who ever regrets going bigger? Wink. I think it would be beautiful! You have the space for it, I say go for it!
 Pam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 3:03pm

All the doubt is gone. Too late anyway. Only problem I worry about now is breaking the bank.Evil Smile The time had finally come! We were able to tear down the existing 90G yesterday and drop it off to Joe on the way to Bountiful to pick up my new sump. Then off to the Aquarium to pick up the stand and tank. The tank is a Marineland- Corner Flow 265 G.

Last call shots

Tank maintenance had been lacking. Knowing it would all be coming down, I took a quick break.

Preping the temporary holding area for rock, coral and fish.

Got Salt!! I have almost 200 gallons of RO/DI water in the basement in various bins waiting to be mixed.

Let the marathon day begin.

One structure down and three to go.

About three hours later, tank and sump were empty.

Loaded the tank and stand on the trailer. Road trip time.

We got the stand and tank in our house about 10:00 last night.

We wrapped the back of the tank in black vinyl and love the way it turned out.

Wife is not loving the stand color up against our hardwood. Sounds like I will be doing some additional staining! There's that spouse factor. Although, I did tell her she could have the coat closet back. When we built the house, I designed what was a coat closet to be the fish mechanical room. That will now all be in the garage

Edited by DLindquist - December 10 2011 at 11:17am

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 3:30pm
lookin goodThumbs Up
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 3:39pm
Yep, you're having fun now...
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 1:34pm
Looks like a fun build.  Keep the updates coming!
SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 3:01pm

Having seen how nice Dave's 90g was in person, I am very confident that this 265 will turn out to be a "must see" system!

P.S. - Getting it started now means that it will be ready in time for next years REEF TOUR, right Dave? Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

lookin goodThumbs Up

If you like the tank, you should see my sumpLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 6:29pm
Brad, Kirklan-
  I am having so much fun. Pulled an all nighter and competed the plumbing at 7:30 this morning before leaving for work. Dead tired! Water test shortly. Pictures to come.
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Having seen how nice Dave's 90g was in person, I am very confident that this 265 will turn out to be a "must see" system!

P.S. - Getting it started now means that it will be ready in time for next years REEF TOUR, right Dave? Wink

There's always a chance.

Edited by DLindquist - June 07 2011 at 6:32pm

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 7:53pm
Now that's the spirit.Thumbs Up
I call that enthusiasm........
PICTURES!!!!!!  LOL
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
keylargo801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 5:37pm
i saved the pics you posted of your (mine) 90 gallon and printed them to put near my tank, so i have some extra motivation of what to aspire to.  Wink

90 gallon
red sea max 130D
rookie aquarist since 4/11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 6:45pm
Thanks for the compliment. I have the same idea for my 265. That's a lot of real estate to try and scape.

saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 7:04pm
Wow it looks very nice.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 7:41pm

While I have been extremely busy at work, I still make time while I should be sleeping to work on the upgrade.

As we sat looking at the new tank in various stages all across our first floor, all my wife could say was "I'm still not sure why we had to go bigger". I figured it was top priority to restain the stand and canopy as this was her biggest hang up. They both now match our front entry way. I also repainted behind the tank (even though this wall will not be seen).

All the plumbing is ran through the wall to the garage sump. Top line is return to both corner overflows and center Sea Swirl. Bottom line is the drain. Ball valves on everything.

We began building the raised frame for the sump at 11:30 the night we stayed up all night. Fortunately, I have very understanding neighbors who are aware of my obsession.

Sump in place

Plumbing is complete.

As the tank continues to fill the rest of the way, I have started rockscaping.

Edited by DLindquist - December 10 2011 at 11:09am

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 8:58pm
You going bare bottom dave?.... gorgeous dave!
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 9:48pm
Very nice. what size sump?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic