Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

140 gallon build - Updated 09/30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
GentlemanBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:15am
Update:

The glass for the side panels of the eurobrace was cut too short so I had to have the glass supplier re-cut them (Thank you again Tyler for picking those up for me and saving me a trip to Ogden!).

I drilled all three holes for my siphon overflow and Tyler is working on making me the best overflow box ever Clap. Tyler also finished my custom sump and it looks gorgeous! I really can't recommend his acrylic work enough. His prices are so cheap for the incredible quality that you get.
< ="utf-8">

I replaced the seals on my Reeflo Hammerhead and ordered all of my plumbing from bulk reef supply. It ended being really expensive because I went all schedule 80 but I think it is worth it. I really like the look of schedule 80 and the added piece of mind is nice too.

I also got a bunch of gorgeous dry pukani rock from The Aquarium and two 40lb bags of Caribsea special grade sand. The rock is currently cycling in a large rubbermaid garbage can.

The big purchases left are the AI LED fixtures, UV and the facade for the stand.

The plumbing is scheduled to be delivered Monday afternoon and I'm going to take Tuesday off work to get it installed ASAP (yes I am that impatient to get water in this thing LOL).

I'll leave you with a quick current shot of the tank:

Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 10:57am
Can't wait to see this up and running. Funny thing though, when you said "Bean style overflow", I thought it was your own personalized style of overflow. Only because your forum name is "GentlemanBean"

Edited by 06bug - July 07 2011 at 10:58am
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 06bug 06bug wrote:

Can't wait to see this up and running. Funny thing though, when you said "Bean style overflow", I thought it was your own personalized style of overflow. Only because your forum name is "GentlemanBean"

Ha ha! Nope just a coincidence. The overflow design is from Bean Animal on the reefcentral.com forums.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 5:31pm
The stand is now in its final location but I'm waiting to shim it until I have the empty tank on top. 

I picked up my overflow box from Elite Aquatics (tcfab) and got that drilled and installed. The overflow turned out so awesome. It is only as deep as the eurobracing and 5.5 inches tall so it doesn't take up a ton of real estate. It does extend across 41" of the available 47" though so I should be getting excellent surface skimming.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 5:39pm
Nice! It's going to be awesome!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 7:47pm
Looking goodThumbs Up Your getting quite a collection of EA equipmentLOL
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

Looking goodThumbs Up Your getting quite a collection of EA equipmentLOL

Ha ha seriously. It is like my tank is sponsored by Elite Aquatics!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2011 at 11:20pm
Okay wow it has been a while since an update. I honestly have been too frustrated to update this thread. 

First my bulkheads were leaking... No matter what I did, I continued to have leaks from my primary and secondary bulkheads. I finally realized that I needed an additional gasket between the inside wall of the overflow box and the bulkhead. Without this second bulkhead, water would wick along the threads of the bulkhead and create a slow leak.

Second, I realized that my return wasn't going to work so I switched to a Reeflo Dart (thank you Brad@ The Aquarium for hooking me up). While I am very happy with the Dart, this means I had to redo all of my plumbing other than my return lines.

Finally, I had slow leaks from almost all of the threaded joints in my return lines. I tried redoing my teflon tape and tightening the fittings as much as possible. However, I still had leaks! After researching this online, it looks like teflon tape works well for with smaller pvc pipes but you can have issues with teflon tape and pvc of 1.5" and larger. Today I switched to teflon paste and didn't have a single leak! (Additionally, teflon tape doesn't work well between the pvc fittings and the fiberglass of the Reeflo Dart)

So I've now got everything running without any issues. The bean animal overflow is completely silent and is handling an insane amount of flow. You seriously can't even hear the overflows. I'll post a video tomorrow and try to capture how silent the system is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2011 at 9:31pm
The tank is finally finished and now I just have to complete the stand. Here is video showing it all in action. (You can view it in HD here

Let me know what you think of the aquascape!

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 12:12am
Looking good man. Now the long wait to cycle it huhBig smile
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 3:38pm
Looking good! I am looking forward to following this :)
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 5:06pm
Nice job, looks great!
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:56am
I just redid my return lines and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I drilled through the eurobrace and then used uniseals and pvc street elbows to give it a nice clean look. I couldn't find any schedule 80 threaded x slip street elbows so I just painted some schedule 40 ones black. I also went ahead and made the screen top while I was at it.

I also ordered my lights and they should be here on Wednesday! I can't wait!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 1:11am
Those returns look awesome I really like those.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 11:59am
Looks good man, now you need to change out your signature =)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Those returns look awesome I really like those.

Thanks! I took me forever to come up with a design that I liked but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Looks good man, now you need to change out your signature =)

lol. Once the lights are over it, I'll update my sig Wink
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 2:11pm
Very cool design Scott! Cool
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 3:36pm
Very slick looking. I dig it.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 5:16pm
Looking good!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic