Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

140 gallon build - Updated 09/30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GentlemanBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 140 gallon build - Updated 09/30
    Posted: June 02 2011 at 1:14am
Although I've been planning it for a while, I though I'd start an official thread for my new tank build.

I have had the skimmer for a while, one of Elite Aquatic's (tcfab's) CS-150 cone skimmers. I just barely ordered the tank from The Aquarium and picked up the lumber for the stand. Tomorrow I will start on the frame for the stand. It will be built using the guidelines form this reefcentral thread.

The tank will be a 140 gallon from deep sea aquatics which has the following dimensions:
48.5x24.5x29

I'm getting the "Show" model that comes undrilled and I'll be adding a coast to coast overflow with a bean style overflow.

I'll be using all schedule 80 plumbing, a reeflow dart for return, 40w Emperor Aquatics UV sterilizer, 40 gallon breeder for a sump (this may change), two Vortech MP40s and two Aqua Illumination Sol Blue fixtures for lighting.

From my old tank I'll be reusing my Neptune Systems Apex controller, 1 MP40 and my Precision Marine calcium reactor.

Wish me luck!

Edited by GentlemanBean - September 30 2011 at 11:07pm
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 7:41am
awesome, looking forward to some picsThumbs Up
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 9:27am
Sounding great and I too am looking forward to some pics!
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 10:16am
Sweet cant wait to see it! 
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by GentlemanBean GentlemanBean wrote:

I'm getting the "Show" model that comes undrilled and I'll be adding a coast to coast overflow with a bean style overflow.

Wish me luck!

Here's a pretty great example of a Coast to Coast w/Bean overflow if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php

I just barely ordered the tank from The Aquarium and picked up the lumber for the stand. Tomorrow I will start on the frame for the stand. It will be built using the guidelines form this reefcentral thread.

I'm not sure what your plan is there, but if I were me, I'd buy LVLs from Home Depot or wherever. Home Depot LVL
9.5" seems to be a common height, run those through a table saw and halve them.  I built my sump stand out of off the shelf dimensional lumber and I wouldn't ever do it again for a tank stand.

I did the math for a standard size 180 I'd liek to move to, and unless I screwed something up, the frame is roughly $150 or less to build from engineered wood.

Edited by sunflashx - June 02 2011 at 4:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by sunflashx sunflashx wrote:

Here's a pretty great example of a Coast to Coast w/Bean overflow if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php

I tend to be slightly obsessive and I have read so many different threads on Bean style overflows. I've already got everything completely planned out even though I don't even have the tank yet. Embarrassed I originally wanted to get a custom tank with an external overflow box but in the end, I couldn't justify the cost since DSA had a stock tank that was the dimensions I was wanting. Consequently I'll have an internal c2c (or near c2c) overflow and it will be drilled from the back with three schedule 80 bulkheads.

< ="utf-8">

I'm not sure what your plan is there, but if I were me, I'd buy LVLs from Home Depot or wherever. Home Depot LVL
9.5" seems to be a common height, run those through a table saw and halve them.  I built my sump stand out of off the shelf dimensional lumber and I wouldn't ever do it again for a tank stand.

I did the math for a standard size 180 I'd liek to move to, and unless I screwed something up, the frame is roughly $150 or less to build from engineered wood.

I'm going with standard stud lumber 2x4s and 2x6s for the stand. It is cheap and will be more than strong enough. I plan to use a paint for the frame that will stand up to the marine environment.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 5:32pm

I'm going with standard stud lumber 2x4s and 2x6s for the stand. It is cheap and will be more than strong enough. I plan to use a paint for the frame that will stand up to the marine environment.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!

It's not a strength thing, it's a straight, square, and level sort of thing.

I picked through the wood, and built it on a flat level surface and when it all went together, my wood was definitely not straight or without twist.  Maybe I'm just a bad carpenter, and engineered wood would cover my weaknesses.  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 5:44pm

It's not a strength thing, it's a straight, square, and level sort of thing.

I picked through the wood, and built it on a flat level surface and when it all went together, my wood was definitely not straight or without twist.  Maybe I'm just a bad carpenter, and engineered wood would cover my weaknesses.  Wink

Ahhhh I see what you're saying. That is something I hadn't even considered. I'll be sure to check that after I complete the frame and I may make other plans if it is too out of whack. Thanks for the heads up!
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 6:05pm
The back edge of my sump stand ended up low where it contacted the tank frame, too small of a gap to shim, and I wasn't sure I could shim it evenly along the length without torquing it some, so I ended up taping off the tank and the stand (hopefully to avoid the tank being completely glued down to the stand) and then set the empty tank in a bed of silicone along the back seam.

I would have scrapped the thing if it had been for my display, but it sits over a floor drain on bare concrete...  The sump was also only ever going to be like 2/3 full.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 10:09am
I finished constructing the frame yesterday. Some of the lumber dimensions were inconsistent so I used a hand plane to even them out. 

Everything turned out square and it is extremely sturdy but I don't have the tank yet to see if the top frame is flush with the tank.

Edited by GentlemanBean - June 04 2011 at 10:10am
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 10:46am
Looks nice. Very similar to what we build for the inside of larger stands.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:05pm
Dion, yours looks more like ply wood than a 2x4 stud. what kind of wood is that?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:12pm
Great build, I'm following along.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 1:55pm
Its 1.5" engineered lumber.I used to use 2x4's but had the same issue of not being consistent.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 5:31pm
I love the open design. No vertal brace in the middle so you can get in to the sump.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:01pm
My tank arrived at The Aquarium. Here is the the obligatory photo of my child in the tank:

The tank came with black trim and a huge center brace. I decided to remove these and replace them with a eurobrace:

I still have some cleanup to do to get rid of the last of the silicone and I still need to get the glass for the brace. Tyler recommended Kelly Stained Glass in Odgen. If anyone else has a glass supplier recommendation, please let me know.

Edited by GentlemanBean - June 14 2011 at 11:02pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:12pm
Your dog cracks me up! Nice looking build however I look at a tank that big without a brace on the bottom and just cringe   
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Your dog cracks me up! Nice looking build however I look at a tank that big without a brace on the bottom and just cringe   

lol. didn't mean to scare you. i didn't remove the brace from the bottom. only the one on the top. the bottom brace will be covered by the stand trim
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:41pm
Whew ok good!! I was worried:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 6:14pm
Here is post including all of the recent tank developments.

After hours and hours of scrubbing with steel wool, I got all of the leftover silicone off. Then I ordered my glass from Kelly Stained Glass. I went with 3" wide 1/2" thick starphire glass and RTV 108 silicone from Momentive.

After a couple of failed attempts to get a solid and professional looking silicone seam, I finally got it down. Here is the first piece which is currently curing:

Once that one is cured I'll do the other long side followed by the two short sides.

I aslo received my bulkheads from BRS but decided that 1.5" was way to big and I'm returning them for 1" schedule 80 bulkheads.

Finally, I got a hammerhead from Dion for a smoking deal. I took it apart to clean it and noticed the seals were looking near the end of their life. After looking online and only finding them for $60 plus shipping, I tried contacting reeflo directly and they sent me a new set for $30 shipped!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic