Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bristleworm/fireworm sting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmokeyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bristleworm/fireworm sting?
    Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:09pm
So, I sold my RSM last week and in the process as usual the water got really cloudy and dirty by the time I got all the rock out. I was fishing around with my hand along the sand and I think I got stung by a worm..

So, I am looking for someone who has also had a bad sting.

It didn't hurt right away very bad, but later it was the most intense itching and burning.. So I itched it to my hearts content.. eventually it got really really swollen. Like a small marble under my skin. So I put some hydrocortisone creame on it and that helped.

The problem though, it's been 8 days and the joint still hurts to bend. It's my pinky finger and the 1st interphalengeal joint for those who know what I am talking about. I can still flex and extend the finger as a whole without any pain, but as soon as I try to bend that joint the pain is still pretty bad.

Has anyone had this problem? It's still swollen, and the pain is there, but there isn't any burning.

I realize the simple and easy answer is go to a Dr and get it checked out, but I don' t have insurance, so doing that involves going to the insta-care and paying through the nose to have some nurse tell me to come back in a few days if the pain is still there.

So, if any of you have had this issue, I would like to know how long it lasted for you, was there anything you did to help it? Did you go to a Dr, and did they give you any useful info?

Thanks!
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:33pm
Sounds like it is infected, some topical antibiotics may help but unfortunately I think you need some oral Antibiotics to clear up the Infection. Which would of course involve a doctor visit.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 1:13pm

This doesn't help now, but you should almost always soak ocean-critter stings in vinegar followed by as hot of water as you can safely tolerate.  The vinegar will keep the remaining nematocysts from firing, dissolve any spicules or spines, and the hot water will break down many poisons.  This is just typical first-aid for scuba injuries.  Same goes for many home-aquarium incidents.  If that doesn't take care of the problem, it's time to seek medical attention.

It sounds like an infection...and it sounds like you've tried to take care of it on your own.  It's been 8 days...sounds like your body is losing.  When in doubt, get to a doctor!!!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 11:47pm
It sounds to me like you still have bristles ... A razor blade over the itchy part usually gets them out or duct tape Ibuprofen and benadryl are my remedies if it gets any worse or fails to get better see a doc I have been killed in an ER (Zapped when they did not need too ) so I avoid drs like noone else pm me if it does not get better and I will call my bro for you he is an RN / Coral farmer so he may be able to help
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Saltwater Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 10:26am
Happen to me too!  Mine stayed swollen for about a week and a half and finally went down.  THEN... all the skin over the stung area peeled off.  It was really annoying!
I put anti-biotic ointment on it and wrapped it in a band-aid and it eventually got better.  I remember worrying that it was still bad after about a week but it eventually got better. 
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 6:31pm
Mine have never gotten that big, I got the big coralife glove to my shoulder, they also sell cheap ones at harbor freight.  Sorry to hear I know those stings suck!
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 2:58pm
Wow are bristle worms that bad? I have handled them and never felt a thing. I was under the impression that they are relatively harmless.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 3:07pm
The stings are interesting more swelling than anything for me but I can't feel the arthritis in my hands or arms for at least 2 weeks post stinging Not a bad side affect lol
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
kosai1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kosai1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 3:17pm
Maybe there are some species of aquarium worms about which I don't know, but from what I know, they shouldn't be there because of the RTV. Most harmful worms get into the aquarium with the help of a carrier. Maybe you bought some live rocks or corals which were not processed properly. That's the case of the Bobbit worms, which come from the Indo-Pacific ocean. On www.arcreef.com you can find more about them and how to remove (if they are the ones from your aquarium).

Edited by kosai1111 - October 23 2019 at 3:17pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 4:28pm
Wow 8 years later! Lol
Rtv? 

I'd say the goal is to get as many species of worms as possible. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 4:32pm
I wish I could take all the bristle worms in my tank and watch them squirm in a vat of vinegar until they're dead. I hate those things!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 8:41pm
Do you have an arrow crab? 
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Do you have an arrow crab? 

No, but I have a coral banded shrimp and a wrasse that attacks them (his name is the Exterminator.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic