Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lobo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lobo?
    Posted: June 08 2011 at 3:10pm
So I bought a Lobo at frag fest back in April........I noticed some tissue receding and the skeleton showing on a small back section of it when I bought it and thought it should be fine.  I placed it on the sand and have tried feeding it several times but when its "feeders" do come out Which is very rare....they are very short and when blasted with food they immediately retract.....Every morning it looks great, very puffy and full, but by the end of the day it has drastically shrunk and the skeleton is now showing in a few spots ......is this normal, is it getting to much light (150W Mh, 30 W Blue Actinic) I will try and get some pics tonight and first thing in the morning to show the difference.

Thanks
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 3:44pm

Tissue recession is usually a water quality or flow indicator, not over-lighting.  If the coral had too much light it would start bleaching.  Have you recently moved it?  Corals expand and poof out at night to catch food particles...then stay expanded during sunrise/sunset to maximize surface area for sunlight to reach the zooxanthallae.  During the day, the corals retract some since they obtain enough light. 

What are your water parameters & flow like? 

Don't blast food at corals.  You would probably close your eyes and mouth if someone threw some french fries at you...which is why your Lobo reacts as it does.  Instead, turn off all flow, and slowly drop some food from above it.  The food will slowly float down (keep fish away) so the coral can react naturally and grab it. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 5:39pm
I have also heard of people taking a plastic two liter and cutting the bottom off and putting a few holes in the sides to allow a little bit of flow then placing it over the coral and using a syringe squirting food into the top.  

Since there is little to no flow the food slowly falls on the coral and is protected from fish.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic