Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tanuki's 75 Gallon Acrylic Build (Super Noob)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 1:44pm
Were you able to pre-order it? what did he quote you for the 48"?
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 2:09pm
^I didn't pre order just because I didn't have money.  I will call him soon. 
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 2:14pm
oh forgot about the money part lol. I would love to see this tank when its "done"
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 2:35pm
^yeah all of that rock kinda blew my bank apart. 
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 2:41pm
this hobby is well known for blowing budgets and bank accounts :) 
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 3:33pm
oh well.  That's why I have bought mostly everything off ksl. 

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 7:08pm
With that kind of light you should be able to grow just about any coral you want to. The other big factor will be water flow. I'd say with what you have now you could easily throw in some softies like mushrooms, zoanthids, leathers. those corals are also generally pretty hardy and do well in new tanks. Adding a few hardy corals will help keep your fish healthy too since they add to the biological filtration.

Your tank is looking nice so far. I would just make sure your rocks are far enough away from the front panel so you can get the magnet past them. Also, it's a really good idea to leave as much of your sand bed exposed to water flow, so you might think about trying to prop the rocks up in such a way as to make it a really open structure. That will help tremendously in the long run with taking full advantage of your sand bed and avoiding too much detritus build-up.

Good luck with everything.
90G Mixed Reef
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 9:23am
^Thanks for the great tips!  I actually re-scaped it this past weekend because I needed to move the tank/ rebuild the sump.  I now have a small refugium in the sump as well. 

I will hopefully be getting lighting soon and be through the cycle as well.  My skimmer is working wonderfully now with the new sump.  It allows the water to be much deeper.  I can't wait for the day when I get a 200g tank and can make the current tank into a refugium :)

I did have to start killing off Aiptasia yesterday.  Those Primo rocks have already produced at least three, and it seems like they keep popping up.  I threw some Peppermint shrimp in as well.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 10:33pm

Today's Tank Data:

PH- 8.0

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 20

Salinity- 1.022

So my Ammonia and Nitrite both went up then back to 0.  It looks like Nitrate is on its way down as well.  Good?

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 11:27pm
Ok, after the flood I decided to break it all down and get the water out of the floor.  I think the way it is now, it will stay for a long time.  I'm not 100% sure on my sea scaping, but i didn't want it to just look like a geometric figure sitting in the middle of the tank.  I wanted it to look a bit more natural, so you will have to let me know what you think.

Also can anyone tell me what this thing is living on the front of the rock in this video?  I am thinking maybe this is the same thing that squirted me with water when I pulled the rock out for the move?

I was able to get a video of his little geyser show.  He just did this about 5 times in a row:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kutd5PzV6U

Edited by Tanuki - June 21 2011 at 11:45pm
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 2:33pm
my guess is that is a sponge it comes out of the black part right? 
I would spread that left group of rocks out a bit. looks like there are not very many big gaps that tangs can go into to hide. 
how does the sump look now?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 3:47pm
I like the scape. I never like it symetrical.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 4:23pm
Thanks.  I might add some rocks to the right side.  Also the L shape behind those rocks is big enough for the magnet cleaner to fit, so I would imagine a tang could just hid behind the whole stack.

I looked at the hole and it appears there is some crustacean in a hole above that sponge looking thing.  I saw it adjusting a rock to use as a door up there.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 5:40pm
It could be a pistol or mantis shrimp pushing out all of that junk.  With live rock like that it could be either one.  Do you hear a popping noise in the tank?  If so it could be either one, but it would be a good idea to trap it to make sure it is not a mantis shrimp.  If it is a mantis shrimp they can kill snails, crabs, and even fish.  Also if it is a mantis there is probably someone on the board that wants it if you don't.

As far as your aquascape, it looks okay.  I would have tried to have more open sand, but it still looks good.  Also that primo rock looks really nice.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 5:58pm
I want to move the primo stuff around on the right still.  Also I need pictures to show the depth of the scaping I think.  More to come.

Also, if that is a mantis it is tiny, we are talking about a hole the size of the 0 on your keyboard, and maybe a tiny bit bigger.  
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2011 at 2:23pm
Ok well after some slight tweaking based on the opinions of members on the forum as well as my wife, here is how the tank will stay set up at least until I buy more rock.

Front:

Top (to give you an idea on depth):

Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2011 at 6:43pm
looks like a lot of swimming space Thumbs Up
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 9:28am
Yeah, I think the front view is a bit deceptive/ makes it look like there is a lot less open sand etc.  From above you can really see the battle field!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 10:12am
Ok a couple of new tenants.

(Both fish combined are maybe 1.5 inches long)
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 9:40pm
Apparently coral>anemone :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic