Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

update: 2 missing clownfish solved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keylargo801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: update: 2 missing clownfish solved
    Posted: June 17 2011 at 12:51am
so i just bought 2 clownfish and a scooter blenny.  acclimated fine and put them in.  scooter blenny explored around for about 5 minutes and the promptly buried itself in the sand.  my 2 clowns were looking a little disoriented for a while, but were swimming very strong and looking like they took the transition well.  (they were wild caught fairly recently, which i dont know if im going to support, but im new)  these are the only 3 fish in the tank.  no other coral or critters.

ive looked everywhere.  i can see everywhere.  they wouldve had to jump into the overflow to get down there.  theyre not in the sump.  ive looked all around the aquarium.  and the weird thing is, there are 2 of them, and this happens to both at the same time?  do clown fish bury themselves?  i just turned of the light for 20 mins, then turned it back on to check on them, and theyre no where.  the scooter is fine just chillin in there.  if i hadnt seen him go in the sand, i never would know where he is.

i hope they show up tomorrow morning, but i seriously dont know how thats possible. 

Edited by keylargo801 - June 17 2011 at 5:15pm
90 gallon
red sea max 130D
rookie aquarist since 4/11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 1:24am
alright well i feel dumb now.  there was a gap between the overflow and the return pump tube that is just big enough for a small clownfish to be swept into.  i turned off the pump, got a flashlight, and there they were just swimmin away in the bottom of my overflow.  i used a fliter to plug the gap. 
i have no idea how to get them out.  suggestions?  my hand is too big to fit down in there and so is my net.  they are between the pipe and the overflow.  if i get a 3 inch wide net, maybe i can snag em.  will they be okay in there for 20 hours?  or is this something i have to take care of tomorrow morning right away?

thx in advance...
90 gallon
red sea max 130D
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 5:25am
Is it removable? if so, dump them out... you could also try to bend your net to match the curve of the thing.. good luck!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 8:27am
they'll be fine in there for a while. as long as you don't forget to feed them. But I wouldn't recommend them being in there longer than that. my chromis got into my return and I had to stick my hand in there. So get the wifes lovely hand in there.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 10:34am
My mom couldn't keep one of her clowns out of the overflow.  Every time she moved him back to the main tank he would jump back into the overflow.  Eventually she gave up trying to move him.  He's lived there now for around 2 years.  She has a corner overflow so he is still viewable from the side of the tank.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 1:21pm
We bought a fairy wrasse and a six line wrasse several months ago.  One day the fairy wrasse just came up missing and couldnt fine him.  I just thought he died and the hermit crabs took care of him.  Well, one day about 6 or 7 months later he showed up in the tank again.  The only thing I could think of is that he was residing in the over flow for that long.
With that said, I dont think there would be a great rush getting them out.  I think they would come near the top and you would be able to catch them sooner or later.

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 5:13pm
k i now have 2 happy and feeding clownfish in my tank.  thanks for the advice.  bought a really long small net, and had em both out in 3 minutes.

90 gallon
red sea max 130D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic