Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiptaisia??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aiptaisia??
    Posted: June 19 2011 at 9:49pm
The other day I was shining my flash light on the tank in the dark spots to see what was in them and I saw a very small anenome looking thing. It was no bigger than a pensil eraser and very clear. Can't see it unless the flash light is shining from the side. The tenticals are clear and end in a point. I went a head and got some Aptaisia-X. I haven't used it yet because I'm not sure if it is aptaisia. it doesn't retract like most descriptions and it is completly in the dark. When I've seen aptaisia before it seemed browner and bigger than what I'm seeing. Any ideas. If I don't have to kill it i'd rather not. I will try to get a pic, but it is so small and clear I'm not sure what I'll get.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 10:11pm
I have seen them almost clear however if it is just the one, I would not use any aptasia X as it will spread them like crazy!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 10:38pm
what's better for treating just one?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 11:02pm
If it only one i would remove the rock that houses the aiptasia and completely eradicated with vinegar bath. Or get peppermint shrimp good. I remember that there is a type of anemone that appears only at night i forgot the name of it, though
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 12:24am
I would like a pepermint but I have a coral banded and I'm pretty sure the tank isn't big enough for both.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 11:44am
I personally have never had a problem with Aptasia-X causing a spread of Aptasia.  In fact it the only think I have had good luck with.  At one time I a ton of them in my 180 gallon tank along with those pesky Manjanos.  2 applications of Aptasia X wiped them all out.  I haven't had any of either in my tank since and that was over 4 years ago.

Aptasia X also works to kill those hateful Green Palythoa's that like to take over a tank, but I've had very limited luck with it killing mushrooms.  Now, before you berate me for killing non-pest corals you should know that those palys and shrooms have become more of a pest in my aquarium than the Aptasia and Manjanos ever were.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 2:38pm
LOl Will:)
When I used it it spread those dang things like wild fire!! I finally got nudibranchs and they got rid of them lightning fast.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 6:36pm
Jackie, I know many of the fluids used to treat Aptasia cause exactly the problem you mention, but Aptasia-X claims that it does not allow the Aptasia to send out spores as it supposedly seems like food to the Aptasia and keeps it from sending out spores.  Apparently that is not always the case so it is good to hear several people's experiences.

If someone has a lot of Aptasia the Nudi's are great, but I certainly wouldn't employ them for just one aptasia.  I had a small tank that was overrun with them and got a few Nudi's to put in it.  At first they didn't seem to be doing much, but after a few weeks the Aptasia Started disappearing quickly until a short time later they were all gone.  The tank was small enough I was able to collect the Nudi's and pass them on to a new home that needed their help when I was finished with them.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 6:42pm
I have used aptasia x as well and had no problems. Haven't seen any aptaisa for over a year (knock on wood)
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 6:50pm
I think Aptasia x is Troys favorite stuff :).
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 12:56am
Yea maybe I had a bad batch but I had aptasia x and used it first and then had a ton of them all over! I wasn't suggesting for him to get nudis just saying what I ended up doing. Those aptasia are such a pain!
Jackie Stuver

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 5:21pm
I finally took some pics, kinda hard to see. First one you can't see it but gives you an idea of where in the tank. I had to use a flash light to get it to show up.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope these pics will help.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic