Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - $&@#%!!!!!  one of my clowns has some white growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$&@#%!!!!! one of my clowns has some white growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keylargo801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $&@#%!!!!! one of my clowns has some white growth
    Posted: June 28 2011 at 5:16pm
been in the hobby 2 months.  got 2 clowns 2 weeks ago.  theyve been doing great, but not eating much.  they are producing waste every day and dont look thin.

came home this morning and one of them has 2 small horizontal stripes of a white growth on it.  it looks fuzzy when i look at his profile head on.  

on the way home i bought a coral banded shrimp and an engineer goby who are now being acclimated in a 5 gallon bucket.  i have a red sea max i could put them in if its not advised to add them to the 90 gallon.  90 gal has no corals (yet).  rsm has 2 i can transfer and one damsel crabs, snails.  thats it.

i cant poste a pic but i took one on my cell phone and can send it... even a video.  can someone help me?  i live in west jordan 3200 w about 7000 s.  tested water yesterday and everything was great.  8.0 ph  2.4 alk 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5ppm nitrate.  diatoms are receding.  i added about 50 lbs of rock saturday night.  clean virgin utah rock.

Edited by keylargo801 - June 28 2011 at 5:32pm
90 gallon
red sea max 130D
rookie aquarist since 4/11
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 5:23pm
It sounds like a fungal infection. Medication is the best route here. Do you have a separate tank you can QT the clowns in to medicate them? Just noticing your parameters as well, your alk is very low at 2.4, it should be more like 9-11. Can you post pics of the clowns?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
keylargo801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keylargo801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 5:29pm
best brand/method to raise alk?  the color was difficult to discern next to the chart.  i could be off.  will retest.

cant post pics until my usb cable gets here in a couple days.

update"  hes just staying the the corner of the tank with the least flow head up at about a 45 degree angle.  breathing seems fine, nothing abnormal.  the other clown is off exploring the tank and seems fine.  nothing wrong with it.

if it is fungal, how is that treated?

Edited by keylargo801 - June 28 2011 at 5:30pm
90 gallon
red sea max 130D
rookie aquarist since 4/11
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 7:06pm
I like Seachem's Reef Buffer, or you can use a two part solution. The key is to raise alk slowly over at least 24 hours. Keep in mind as you raise you alk, calcium will drop, so be prepared to supplement both until they are in acceptable ranges. As for the infection, antibiotics like nitrofurazone (found in Furanase) will usually do the trick. Metronidazole can also be effective but is harder to maintain in solution. Keep in mind if you are medicating the fish you won't want to do it in your reef. A QT tank would be the ideal situation.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic