Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Moving a tank" without moving the tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Moving a tank" without moving the tank?
    Posted: June 29 2011 at 4:40pm
I recently had an old friend contact me about her tank.  It turns out she is moving.  She has what looks like a 90g tank built into her entertainment center.  She has no intention of moving the contents of the tank with her.  She has asked me if I would like to have the fish and whatever else I wanted from the tank..  I stopped by today to take a look at what she has.  Like I said, it looks like it's a 90 gallon that was built in.  As you can see from the photos below, it's got quite a bit of stuff in it..  She's let it go a bit, but everything looks pretty healthy from what I can tell.  I have a number of questions..  I have a 72g bowfront that I picked up from Rusty's friend.  Was planning on getting things set up next week, this is definitely firming up those plans quickly.  If I just take all the LR, the water, and the livestock and transfer it into my new tank, will it be ok?  Can I switch out the glass so to speak?  I know not to move the sand, as that can cause problems.  Is there anything else that I need to keep an eye out for, or do to make such a move successful?  See images and comments below.

An FTS..  Hard to see much because the front glass is covered in algae.

Top down view of back corner..  Lots of mushrooms, a flame hawk (i think) and some serious GBTAs.

Top down of a massive toadstool mushroom leather.. I think.. 

Top down of some polyps and mushrooms..

Top down of the GBTAs..  I'm not sure, but I think there's 3 or 4 the size of my head..

Lots of mushrooms....

Comparison of my hand to the toadstool mushroom leather..

Maybe has some aiptasia?

Not sure what this thingy is...

Hard to see, but there's a pretty good sized clown hanging out in the GBTA..

Flame Hawk sitting amongst the polyps and mushrooms...

So my plan is to get the LR, LW, a cup or two of LS, and move the livestock over.  I don't want all the mushrooms, so if anyone wants some free mushrooms, I think you'll be welcome to them..  I'm not sure what to do with the GTBAs..  I want to keep one, but I don't want all of them..  I'm not even sure how many there are.  I was thinking that maybe we'd sell them here to anyone that wants them.

Also, would anyone be willing to help me with the move?  I'm planning on doing it next Thursday or Friday..  The tank is in Provo near the Riverwoods and I live in West Jordan..

Thanks for looking and for any help, suggestions you can offer..

Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 4:47pm
Forgot to mention, I saw a total of 4 fish i think..  Flame Hawk, large clown, and 2 fish that looked like they might be damsels..  They were hiding in the rocks and wouldn't come out.  It looks like there may also be an urchin or two..  She also said I could have whatever hardware I needed, but it's just got a HOB filter and two small circulation pumps..  Other than maybe the heater, I'm not sure I'd want anything else..

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 5:21pm
I like using new sand. I'm not a fan of just moving the sand over. Otherwise.... yes I've seen many many examples where people just move over a tank in a day. It's a very long day. I'd get the new tank up, with sand, and lots of water from that current tank in it. Run it for a couple weeks if you can. Then move it all over.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 7:29pm
I can help with the move, I live downtown and am familiar with Provo. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
daranged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daranged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 4:05am
what are you going to do with the equipment ?    also i am in provo i could help but im only off on the weekend
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:57am
It is definitely a chore to move an entire tank sand and all.  I did it with my 120gal.

I would rather sell everything off and start fresh but it all made it with the exception of 2 fish.
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 1:33am
It looks like  it's going to have to be Saturday that I do the move..  I just have so much going on this week..  Just finished painting my stand today..  Repaired the sump yesterday.  Lights won't be here till Thursday..  Going to get sand etc tomorrow..  Will try to get some water in there with some chaeto too..  Maybe you in Provo would like to help me tear down..  I more concerned about how do I move stuff without hurting it..  Once I have it here, I think it'll go ok..

Any checklists out there?  What do I need to watch out for?  Anyone have any water containers I can borrow?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 1:37am
I have a 50 gal barrel you could borrow, I am in Provo. I might be interested in one of those anemones as well.

Edited by bstuver - July 06 2011 at 1:37am
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 1:41am
Oh as for moving stuff just keep it all in water and get it moved as quick as possible. You will need some razor blades and what not to remove the shrooms from the sides.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:18am
I have a few 5 gallon buckets  and a portable airstone. I'd be interested in an anemone as well and anything else you'd like to spare. Fragging things are easy, if you'd like I can come over early and help you with it and getting things packed and ready to go. I also have 5 gallons of fresh water and 5 gallons of salt water at my disposal as I make them at home with my mity might filter. I'm available all Sat coincedentally. PM me if you'd like for me to help you. I'm an early riser. 
daranged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daranged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 3:01am
i also have a bucket or 2 i can bring if needed let me know when you are ready
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 4:47am
Well, we got the tank moved on Saturday..  Haven't taken a decent photo yet..  Sorry..  It turns out that a couple of the fish were pretty sick..  There was a chromis and a blue tang hiding in the rocks..  The tang didn't make it past saturday night, and the chromis passed away Sunday night..  (Can't find his corpse, spent about 2 hours looking tonight, but I'm 100% positive he's gone)..  We also lost a starfish and an urchin.  The move must have been too stressful.

We ended up with 12 good green anemones. (1 got injured in the move, yes 13 in total, can you believe it!)  If you're interested in buying one, let me know.  I'd like to get them out of the tank to decrease the bio load on the tank.  2 are already gone to my helpers, and I've put one in my nano (my clowns LOVE it!).  I plan on keeping one or two in the big tank..  That leaves at least 6 possibly 7 available..  There's one smaller one, and the rest are large, or maybe even extra large..   Let me know if you're interested.  I've got several under a powerhead right now trying to get them to let go of the rocks they are on.

Also, many thanks to Dustin and especially Faith for helping me get this done.  I would have had a really tough time getting it all done if it weren't for you!!

Edited by Shad - July 12 2011 at 4:48am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 2:48pm
Embarrassed
daranged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daranged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 3:12pm
your welcome sorry i couldent do more ( stupid cops ) LOL...  love the anemone its very LARGE but seems to be doing well the starfish didnt make it home Cry    cant wait to see pic's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic