Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish tank for disabled girl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish tank for disabled girl
    Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:56pm
Hey guys, my freind Holly has Muscular Dystophy and just had a kidney transplant. Her dad also has Muscular dystrophy and her mom has MS. Needless to say she is going though a really hard time. She loves my tank and talks about it endlessly. She also LOVES seahorses. Has forever. So I was wondering about the details of setting up a seahorse tank for her and any tips you guys have. I will be taking care of it for her.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Spbeyond - October 10 2011 at 8:46am
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 12:13am
Order your horses through a reputable place that is #1 IMO. I got mine from seahorsesource.com and they are awesome to work with. H Erectus are one of the easier species so I would stick with those.
You will also want to have the tank established for awhile before adding them. Give them lots of places to hang on and if you can have more than one they love to interact!
Also go to www.seahorse.org they have some excellent stuff on that forum:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 1:01am
I am a huge fan of having tanks for people with medical problems. With having medical issues myself I can totally relate to how beneficial  a fish tank can be. I have my RSM in my bedroom and it has been a Godsend when it comes to days that I am in bed.

I absolutely love seahorses and totally agree with Jackie. We ordered them together and they are great seahorses. I think the key is a well established tank. I too would go to seahorse.org, they have a TON of great info.

Good luck to your friend. I think any kind of tank would be great for her. If you decide to set up a tank with Clownfish in it I would love to give you a pair of the mochas for her to enjoy.  She may really enjoy a tank that has a lot of wavy flow corals.. it may be relaxing for her.
 My thoughts and prayers are with them.
 Pam
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 1:06am
I always like to help anyone thats starting a tank specially if it involves someone like your friend, dont know much about sea horses but if you need any kind of help let me know and I will do my best, also if you ever need any soft corals for the tank let me know I will hook u up
It's not about what you know but about who you know
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 8:39am
I have plenty of Calpura I'll give you so they have a place to hold onto in your tank. Definitely have an established tank to put them in and not to vigorus of flow. Don't buy any small ones as they will get stuck in or on a powerhead (personal experience. Horrific by the way) Several months old to a year at least! 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 8:41am
P.S. make sure the temp stays between 72-76 they don't like it hot. 
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 12:01pm
Thanks everyone! Is a 30 Long to small?

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 2:29pm
I recently got some really nice red flame algae, I'd be willing to give you a clipping of, for some color and hitching post.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 2:35pm
30 long is fine
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 2:57pm
Yep that will work. However they do like the height better than the length. As for flow it is a myth not to have flow, I mean you don't want so much that you blow them everywhere but they do like the flow in fact my male hitches onto a piece of rock right in front of the powerhead and blows in the wind lol. Adequate flow for the coral you are going to keep and so you don't get nuisance algae so just like any other tank.
You are more than welcome to come take a look at mine although I am a bit of a drive.
Most of the sites you see will tell you not to put certain coral in but when I was at Aquatica I talked to Shawn about it as he had all sorts of stuff in his and he said the only thing he would avoid would be anemones so I put what I wanted in my tank and my horses love it. In fact in my 75g I had an anemone the horses never went near it. I would caution against clams though they like to hitch on them and it always scared me that they would get snapped in one so I sold mine.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 3:05pm
Oh also if you ever make it this way I love to donate a piece of my gorgonian to give her, the seahorses love it:)

Edited by bstuver - July 04 2011 at 3:06pm
Jackie Stuver

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 3:45pm
When I had mine ( I sold them to Jackie :o) ) My male also loves to hitch on the gorgornian that was right in front of the power head.
 I basically made my seahorse tank a softie tank. It had different types of algae, xenia,zoas etc and it looked really nice.

I love seahorses. The seahorses we got were nice and healthy and a good size.

Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 8:11pm
I didn't read the posts above...

Are you sure you want to go seahorses? Not always a recommend choice. If you do, I'd go with tank raised and feeding on prepared foods. If you make it down this way I'll even donate them to you for the cause.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:43am
Thanks a ton everyone! Like i say im not exactly a Marine aquarium novice and I'll be taking care of them so I figure I can give seahorses a try.

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 1:29pm
I have some live rock, snails, and hermits I can donate.  Probably even a candy cane coral (4 heads). 
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 4:00pm
Thanks a ton Rara! I will be setting it up as soon as I can and will contact you! Thanks so much!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 5:02pm
Don't forget me! My calpura will help with Ammonia levels as well as give the little guys something to hang on. I'll even drive it up to you. I have family up in Logan so I can visit family at the same time.
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:03pm
If you want any coral frags let me know, just pm me.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 1:17pm
Any update on this setup? Hopefully it will become a reality.

Edited by Rara - July 14 2011 at 1:19pm
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 3:41pm
It has not yet. I need to get the salt in that I ordered forever ago and have yet to see. Then I just need to setup...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic