Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inheriting a 90 Gal Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jbonham76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbonham76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inheriting a 90 Gal Reef
    Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:48pm
Hello, My name is Jason, new to the board as of tonight!

After 20+ years since my initial dabbling with fresh, salt water and reef aquariums in Jr. High and HS, I have finally settled into a permanent home with my family, and found a tank. 

It's a 90 gal. reef tank, and my cousin was going to get rid of and it has some issues.  It was once an established tank with lots of beautiful coral and fish, but he lost interest and now the tank is without light and fallen out of shape.  It is covered in Algae, some live rock that at one point was mostly covered in aptasia, but the lack of light has mostly killed this off, but only a few fish (2 clowns and a yellow. 

Due to the major effort in moving it across town, I am leaning towards draining the whole thing, cleaning the all the filtration system out and starting it out brand new.  

It's 90 Gal, has a sump underneath, with a protein skimmer and I have basically all the supplies, test kits, chemicals, etc.  The light system had a bad ballast, but he has the replacement, so I can just rebuild that I am thinking.  The whole system is about 4 years old.  

I really have forgotten any information I once new, although at one point in Jr. High my career goals included opening my own fish aquarium store :)      So, any tips? the more the better.  I'm in St. George.  

Also any other resources you can point me to would be helpful.  

Jason

hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 11:22pm
Hmm.... you may want to not "clean" the tank, that can be done by hermits, snails and other creatures. I don't see anything wrong however with cleaning the filtration system, power heads etc. My advice is to find a store that sells product that you can TRUST!(people and product I mean) I'm pumped you are endeavoring to get into the hobby! It's so much fun! remember to dip your corals before putting them in the tank, make sure your alk(reef builder), cal and other trace minerals are in place( I like Seachem Fuel, Calcium and Ions.) for Algae destruction lots of snails (turbo's are great!)and a few hermits and an emerald crab or two. Lots of flow everywhere in the tank. And most of all fun! these little ones are a joy! P.S. post any problems and we'll respond Embarrassed
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic