Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anarexic blue hippo tang DEAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishboy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishboy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anarexic blue hippo tang DEAD
    Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:18pm
help my blue hippo tang wont eat at all its makeing me so sad because i can actually see the rib cage i have ben  offering him a frozen brine shrimp cube every day and night but have never seen him eat what should I do

Edited by fishboy101 - July 08 2011 at 3:02pm
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:27pm
Tangs love to eat algae, so I would try nori, spirulina, or romaine lettuce.  
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:48pm
WhiteReef is right. If not try live brine at Pet Village in Bountiful.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishboy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:51pm
what works better live brine shrimp or frozen
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:53pm
live brine shrimp is more attractive for fish since it actually moving, also how long do you have your tang? what are your water parameters?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishboy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:05pm
ok iv had my tang for about 3 weeks and my parameters are ph is 8.2  amonia is at 0.35   nitrite is at 0.0 and nitrate is 10 on a high range test

ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:08pm
I would recommend some nori sheets that can be picked up from just about any store.  Ask where the sushi rolls are and Nori sheets will be in this area.  

If you want to save some money go to an asian store.  They have lower prices.  Make sure you get nori without any additives or spices.

Good Luck!

Edited by ninja_brandon - July 06 2011 at 3:09pm
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:20pm
With the ammonia showing a reading, you either have a new tank or all of the frozen brine is causing a spike in water parameters.  I would recommend doing a water change to help lower the ammonia.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishboy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:20pm
its a fairly new tank i've had it running for a little longer than 3 months 
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 8:46pm
you are probably feeding to much and haveing a new tank makes this more touchy in my 40 gallon I feed around 1/8th of a teaspoon twice a week with 4 fish
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by fishboy101 fishboy101 wrote:

its a fairly new tank i've had it running for a little longer than 3 months 

(LiveAquaria.com) Although Tangs will eat meaty foods along with the other fish in the aquarium, it is important that they are offered plenty of marine based seaweed and algae. This will strengthen the Blue Tang's immune system, reduce aggression and improve their overall health. Offer dried seaweed tied to a rock or use a veggie clip, and feed at least three times per week. Sea Veggies, Seaweed Salad and Ocean Nutrition are all ideal products and are very easy to use.

Careful observance of the Blue Tang is essential; as it is more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion, ich and other skin parasites than many other fish.

Sounds like your tank may not be ready for a tang. Definitely supplement with nori sheets, veggies, lettuce.....  Good luck!

Edited by DLindquist - July 06 2011 at 11:16pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishboy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:12am
i put in some omega one green seaweed on a clip and i just saw it nip at it thank you guys so much

hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 8:09am
YEAH!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 8:36am
Also try frozen bloodworms -
The last Hippo I had loved them!
Plus, you will need to feed some extraprotein to help the fish gain back some weight; bloodworms are very high in protein.
Good Luck!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 9:20am
I'm surprised that there has not yet been a recommendation to offer live algae. Shocked

The amazing power of live algae, especially Macroalgae for fish health and overall aquarium health is evidently not fully recognized in the hobby. Take a look at the wild environment.
ALGAE is THE major provider of food AND filtration. Algae is the basis of the entire food chain. Algae is awesome in our aquariums because it filters the water as it grows. Whenever pollution (the Nitrogen compounds of Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate) levels are too high, simply turn the lights on longer, even 24 hours a day to quickly reduce the Ammonia levels. Add some Macroalgae like Chaetomorpha and/or Caulerpa so the lights can grow it fast to eliminate Nitrogen and Phosphate pollution.

The next point to understand is that no reef could be complete without some type of herbivore to eat the algae. There are various herbivores which eat the algae together to keep algae from becoming a nuisance.

Tangs and other herbivores, mostly snails are constantly grazing on algae as their food source. Granted, Blue Tangs are not the ravenous grazers as the other types of Tangs, but in my experience they also get fat and healthy when continuously offered a variety of plant/algae foods.

A good portion of the Reefkeeping Tips linked below are devoted to algae. Look especially at "Secrets of Adding New Fish..." and the various links to discussions about the control of nuisance algae.

This Yellow Tang in Hawaii is very fat. It and the others are constantly grazing on algae, just like cattle.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 11:35am
I agree with mark. It seems that most people do over look the feeding of algae. I used to grow it in the sump then just ad some to the tank every week so that the one tang I had could graze. He would also eat some meaty foods also but the algae was the main part of his diet. 
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic