Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

out of my depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chasefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: out of my depth
    Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:51pm
Hi!
My two sons abandoned me for college and left me with a 120 gallon salt water tank.
I've been taking care of it for 6 months and so far have only killed the blue starfish.
Last time they left me with the tank while they were in Thailand, they asked me to change the water.  They didn't tell me I couldn't change half the water in one setting.  They also didnt' tell me where the salt was.  Confused It was Saturday night and no one was open.  I thought something was better than nothing so I put in some organic salt that I had.
I got to watch the fish die one by one for the next three days and most of the coral. 
Big learning curve. May that tank rest in peace.
I'm a little smarter than that now.
Ive been going to Aquatica for RO water and salt water for the last 6 months but they are out of business. 
Where can I go beside SLC for RO water?
I also have an RO machine but I don't know how to hook it up.
I have a bad back so it would be nice to not have to haul 35 gallons of water every other week.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:56pm
Reef runners right in Orem has RO water for .20/gallon or free water with $20 purchase. Great store too and John that works there is super helpful. I'm in Provo so thats my fish store of choice.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:14pm
Hey I think I came and bought some hammer coral from you sometime ago:) Yep the closest to you would be Reef Runners. Welcome to the site:) I have no clue how to hook up an RO unit or I would help out.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:47pm
I hooked up my RO unit a few months ago.  It was pretty easy.  Mine came with a yellow, blue, and black hose (1/4" diameter). 
The yellow hose is the supply line for the RO unit.  I took used the supply line for the refrigerator, since I was going to send RO water to the fridge.  I didn't use it, but my RO unit came with a contraption that taps into a brass pipe and seals around the pipe. 
The blue hose is the outlet for the RO water.  I put a 4-way connector on this hose and sent one end to the fridge, one end into the storage tank, and one end to a small turn valve for filling a bucket. 
The black hose is the 'waste' water from the RO unit.  I drilled a small hole in the drain pipe behind my sink and put the black hose into the hole.  They sell a clamp that seals the hole around the hose.  I've read some people drain into a large container and use it to water plants or do laundry.

Anyway, this was my experience.  All in all not too bad.  The worst part for me was working under the sink. Hope this helps.

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 7:05pm
Welcome!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
chasefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 11:37am
Thanks! 
I talked to John yesterday.  I look forward to doing business with him.
Thanks also for the RO hook up info.
I have a friend who is mechanically minded and I think this will be helpful for him.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 1:02pm

Definately! John's a cool dude for sure. If you need any help or water testing I'm right in Provo. I'm relatively new at this too but getting the hang of it pretty quickly.

hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 8:57am
WelcomeEmbarrassed
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 9:12am
Welcome to a wonderful club.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic