Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Tang Vs. Sailfin: Bullying in tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Tang Vs. Sailfin: Bullying in tank
    Posted: September 13 2002 at 10:00am
I purchased a Sailfin tang on Wednesday night. However, I have a yellow tang which is a long-time tenant of my 55 gal. tank. The yellow tang constantly badgers the Sailfin. The only signs of this on the sailfin are that his fins are a little tattered on the top and bottom, and that he usually stays in one of the bottom front corners of the tank. He has been eating well, and does not show any signs of ich, or any other forms of stress.

The yellow will often try to protect his territory during feeding time, but the sailfin usually can eat okay.

My question is this: How long do I subject the sailfin to the yellow's constant badgering before I return the sailfin to the store?

Will they work it out likely, or should I save the sailfin before it's too late?

Thanks
color=#006699 U/U
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 11:37am

Don't return the sailfin.  More harm is usually caused in stressing him out by recatching him.  (I'm sure others will disagree with me here)

I would say, that it is about a 50/50 with whether or not he will make it.  I guess that is all part of buying tangs.  I don't know if I can offer any good advice.  Sometimes the yellows give in, and accept the sailfins, sometimes the sailfins can't handle the stress.  I guess the main thing I would strive for is to make sure the sailfin is getting plenty of food.

just my thoughts, and I hope they help,

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic