Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get my clowns to lay eggs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get my clowns to lay eggs
    Posted: July 15 2011 at 7:13pm
any tips let me know
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 7:39pm
Feed them lots of different foods make their home really comfortable dont add any fish that might bother them and also make sure you have a mated pair
It's not about what you know but about who you know
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 8:41pm
feed, feed, feed, and then feed some more. You can also increase your temp a couple degrees.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 9:05pm
Feed them about 8 times per day.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 9:31pm
Exactly! Feed them a good amount several times a day and we keep the temp at around 80.

HTH

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 9:59pm

Leave your lights on a bit longer too.

Home of the baby Picasso!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 10:15pm
Feed heavy, keep temp at about 80, lights need to be on timer about 14 hours. Andy tell us more, what kind of clowns, what have you tried, how old are they, how long have they been in your system, what kind of set up are they in?
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:03pm
I have had Rods Onyx (True Percula variation) for about 1.5 years when I got them they were tiny so they are still faily young I feed new life spectrum every other day tank mates are tail spot goby and lawnmower they hang out together most of the time so I assume they are a pair little one twitches for the big one often lights are on a 12 hour cycle temps rock solid at 77
Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:19pm
They are in a 40 gallon reef lots of flow and light with rose bubble nem for a home I havent really tried anything special parameters are very steady
Andy Jorgensen
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 9:02pm
Sounds like your on your way Andy. It's always a great sign when the male is twitching at her. Are they cleaning any surfaces at all?

Pam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 9:39pm
not that I have seen I built an auto feeder that will feed a small amount every 2 hours
Andy Jorgensen
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 9:17am
So how old do they need to be before they will mate?  I have a pair of clowns in my reef tank that have a pretty good spot in the tank and my temp averages about 80 during the day with a drop to about 76 at night.  My clowns are about 3"+ each and I have had them for over a year now.  I feed mine a mix of algae flakes and mysis/brine shrimp every day, once a day.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:12pm

Depends on what kind of clown, Ocellaris can spawn at about 18 months. 3" should be big enough to spawn.  Most clown species the male is much smaller than the female. If they are about about the same size they both may be Females. Lights need to be on a timer 14 hours a day. Need to feed heavy several times a day. Need to feed  more of a variety of food (brine shrimp has very little nutritional value).

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 1:00am
I alternate brine/mysis/algae flakes/spirulina enriched brine. They are close to the same size, but I am fairly sure that the smaller one became a male after all of the competition they went through for supremacy. They are black ocellaris clowns. I didn't realize they needed that much food though. That kind of feeding sounds messy.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:11am
I had the experience of my first clownfish spawning after I used a reef supplement. This was 10 years ago. I believe that supplement is still available. I'll get back on this...

I know many people that feed spectrum pellets saying their fish love it. I see the same response in fish when feeding a good flake food. Are you ready for what I'm going to say next?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:17am
I'm not sure that I'm ready to have my clowns spawnWink, but go ahead and say it.  My guess is that you are going to say something about how good variety is good no matter how you give it to your fish and that there are a lot of other foods that are better than flake foods because they are more natural and closer to what the fish eat in the ocean.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by russianrick russianrick wrote:

I alternate brine/mysis/algae flakes/spirulina enriched brine. They are close to the same size, but I am fairly sure that the smaller one became a male after all of the competition they went through for supremacy. They are black ocellaris clowns. I didn't realize they needed that much food though. That kind of feeding sounds messy.

Just so you were clear on this.. all clowns are born males, they can become females.. the most dominant one will become female ( I personally like this idea *grins*). Once they are female they are female. If the female dies the male can then become female if put in the situation of pairing again.
 Pam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:33pm
Ok, so let me tell you a tale of two clowns.  This happened about a year and a half ago.

I bought 4 clownfish all at the same time from the same store, but they were kept in two different tanks.  I bought 2 black ocellaris and 2 orange ocellaris clowns.  They were paired in the tanks such that a black was with an orange in each pair.  I liked the lot of them as they all had excellent color and looked very healthy and I figured that it would be cool to have two pairs of clownfish in my tank, one orange and one black.

At first, everything seemed fine and all of the clownfish lived together in one big happy school.  The black ones were a little larger than the orange ones, but the size difference was not overly significant, except that the smallest orange was about half the size of the largest black.  After a few months, I noticed that the larger black and the two orange clowns were being very aggressive towards the smaller black clown.  This sent the black clown fish into hiding and the other fish wouldn't let it come out to eat unless I stuck my hand in there and corralled them away sometimes.  It became very nerve wracking and I was afraid I was going to lose my clown.

After about a month of this tension, peace was restored in the tank and the smaller black clown appeared to be satisfied in submitting to the larger black clown.  I assumed at this point that my smaller black clown had assumed its role as the subjective male in the pair and so things had quieted down.

Within a month or two of this happening I saw that the 2 black clowns and the smaller orange clown were being even more aggressive towards the larger orange clown (third largest fish in the tank) than the other fish had been towards the smaller black clown.  This went on for a long time.  The larger orange clown was eventually killed and I was left with three clowns.

I thought that was the end of it, but unfortunately, I was wrong.  The two black clowns teamed up against the smaller of the original orange clownfish and killed it.

This left me with 2 black clownfish who follow each other around and like to gang up on me whenever I work in the tank.  I have been bitten countless times by this pair of clownfish and they have even drawn a little of my blood.

Given all of this, I assume that I have 1 female and 1 male, the larger being the female and the smaller having assumed the role of the male.

Is there anything that seems fishy about my story?  Other than the fish of courseTongue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic